The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi,

Thanks to all the Guys for their trouble in placing their hard work here.

It helped me to "recover" my Seagate drive.

You're the best! :thumbup :thumbup

Edited by Duncs

I have a Barracuda 7200.11 that is DOA. The HP guy said it was the firmware and all my data would be there if I could fix it. My problem is that since the computer is under warranty they are sending me a new drive and I have to send this one back within 3 days of receiving the new one...which came today. Is there anything I can do to fix this within this time? I see people have made the wires to hook the HD up to the computer but I don't think I have the time to gather all the parts and I couldn't assemble everything myself. When I hook the HD up to a working computer on the SATA it hangs the system but once I take it off everything is fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!!!!!!

Hello sanfran16to80,

I explain:

To mount the board you need to follow the following schedule:

http://www.tdubel.com/artikkelit/tiedostot...ial_english.pdf

(I did is the difference that are of 10uF capacitors instead of 0.1uF)

To find the material you need and assemble approximately 1 days, especially if you are not electronic or left long ago.

Once assembled, it is a matter of patience and time, about 2-3 hours (to recover disk clone)

So with a little luck you have time.

Greetings!

Hello to everybody and many many thanks for the big help....

I ll need a little more of your help though....

My seagate was not recognized...so I followed the instructions and managed to unlock it and make it visible at bios AND computer managment with full capacity...

However I dont have access to the drive, no any drive letter on My Computer and although I can see the drive on disk managment (healthy status) I do right click to activate it but no option is coning. I also tried the external way (inside a usb box) but same thing happens. New hardware pops but no any letter for the drive....Any Ideas?

Sorry for the big post and for the bad English....

Ok, I finally managed to give it a letter through computer managment (system can see it only if it is connected through usb/external case) and Im already bucking up my precious files...Dont know what I did wrong and that strange thing happened but I realy dont care....As soon as I ll have all my files back that piece of garbage is going where it belongs...to the trash can :angry:

I thank Gradious2, Aviko and all the other friends who shared their experiences, made fresh guides and instructions and helped all of us in a way that some HDD company (I dont even spell the name) should have done a long time ago.....

You people are realy amazing!!!

Edited by takis

:( greetings

F3 T>

then when I type

F3 T>/2 (enter)

I am taking a error

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67

:( please help me

BSY error:

Turn off your hard disk.

Remove the PCB.

Ctrl+z

F3 T>/2

F3 2>

F3 2>Z

...... etc, etc

See Post # 1.

Edited by Jhothagondyaz

Hi people! when I going to try recover my HDD from 0 LBA error, should I power hard rive from separate PSU? Or just connecting TX/RX/GND is enough?

Edited by ectar

Well I got my drive back! Thank you to everyone who has posted info here, and special thanks to the original poster of the guide.

I had the BSY error with my 1TB Seagate 7200.11 340AS, i used a FT232RL which I was was able to pickup locally from here: http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?ProductID=925. It worked flawlessly even though I had to substitute jumpers and headers for thumbtacks with a wire soldered to it, it didn't look pretty but it worked. As an added bonus I didn't need to hook up the 3.3/5 Volt, as it was powered through the USB, it was definatly worth the $15!

At first after the spin down when I entered the command for the spinup I got:

"F3 2>U

(insert clicking noise here & me panicking)

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error"

(it also said some amount of time like 19s and i think, 2 read and 2 write errors, but missed copying the whole error message)

I was trying the card trick, which worked for me just keeping the motor separated from the PCB. I found the issue was that the PCB wasn't screwed back in tight enough and wasn't making proper contact. So if anyone else has that error when spinning up make sure the pcb is nice and tight. So fortunately it was a simple fix.

After the last step I popped the drive back in my computer and it fired up like nothing ever happened, all files seem to be there and intact. Currently copying everything from the drive in case it wants to brick it self again, but hopfuly new firmware will prevent that.

So once again a big THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to solving this issue.

Edited by Marnault

Hello everyone. On June 19th my Seagate 7200.11 1 TB ST31000340AS drive suddently stop working. It wasn't showing up in the BIOS and the HD light stayed constantly lit. After searching for the cause of the problem online I was horrified to stumble across many articles discussing the enormous number of Seagate hard drives failing. Then I ran across this thread and decided giving fixing it a shot.

I ordered this adapter FTDI TTL-232R-3V3 USB Cable because AlexLilic (post #681) claimed it was easy to use. I ordered it from the Digi-Key website and it costed me $20 + $8 shipping to canada. I live in Vancouver. The adapter arrived June 22nd. (that's right, 3 days!).

That night I connected the adapter to the hard drive as described in post #681 and hooked up the SATA power. I used the business card technique to isolate the PCB from the hard drive. Set up hyperterminal as described in post #1 and followed Avikos instructons from post #529.

=================================================================================

power on, wait until drive stops motor, if you dont wait at this moment you got 000000CE error after next command

(ctrl+z)

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.146 msecs

remove isolation and mount pcb as normal

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 6.864 secs

F3 T3>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

no responce after 10 minutes

=============================================================================

I got this far 3 times and tried reading other peoples instructions for advice. So I went to posting #1 and decided to power off/power on the drive before trying the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!

My hard drive was restored to 100% functionality with all my data intact. I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. You guys rock!!

Seeing as I will no longer require the adapter I purchased I will be happy to sell it to anyone in the US or Canada for $20.

Hi guys,sorry i know you must of heard this a thousand times but i keep getting this error

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

LED:000000CE FAddr:0027CF31

i have a piece of card in between the head connector pins and i am doing a capital Z. now i am a mechanic and i dont know much about computers but what i do know is i dont want to pay thousands of dollars to get this done. so could someone please point me in the right direction

And its making a intrermittant buzzing noise every 2 seconds

It doesnt spin up at all now,it trys for about 10 seconds then stops completely

Edited by mrtorino351

Recovered my 1TB Seagate 7200.11 from BSY state, last night!!! A big THANK YOU to Gradius2, Fatlip, and everybody else that contributed to this thread. I have NO idea how the hell you guys figured this out, but it works 100%. I'll post pictures tonight of the exact set up i used as my way of showing my appreciation for ppl taking the time out to help out others. It's only right that i do the same.