The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

This may be a dumb question, but I have two 1TB drives, one of which has now suffered the BSY error. Can I not take the PCB off the good drive to get the bad one going?

NO.

DO NOT change PCB's.

jaclaz

Great guide! But I have a problem - my computer freezes (or crashes) when I connect the drive. Everything works fine with the loopback test, but when I put the power supply into the drive my computer freezes, so I am not able to give the drve any commands. Has anybody else experienced this?

I would be really greatful for replies. I've got to drives locked in the state where the computer cannot recognize any drives at all, not even in bios

/David

Hi ya davvalavvan

i am assuming you have your pc totally turned off when you plug the power cable back into the hard drive??!

then power the pc on?

I have a 1TB that got the BSY error about 2 weeks ago. I took this opportunity to switch to RAID 5, buy 3 new 1TB HITACHI drives and migrate to Windows 7.

I appreciate everyones input on this fix. I did the procedure and I was able to resurrect the drive long enough to grab my data and update the firmware. Unfortunately, my drive started clicking during windows boot (at exactly the same point every boot) and it would force a reboot. So windows never starts with that drive in the RAID array. I had to remove it. I'm gonna try a low level format and see if that fixes the drive. I really don't care as I have my data and my new RAID setup doesn't include any seagates.

Here are some pics from the electrical components I used to fix the drive. I went rummaging around my wire drawer and found an old FAN cable with connector and 3 wires which fit almost perfectly on the drive. I had to cut out the grey plastic molding around the serial port on the drive but it doesn't affect anything.

post-249721-1246548838_thumb.jpg

post-249721-1246548852_thumb.jpg

still no luck here... i tried seperating the motor contacts, the head contacts, BOTH, i finally took the PCB off the drive and still am having no luck right at the point where i push "CTRL + Z"... i get nothing, no response at all to the screen

any ideas why i'd get no response to this? i've confirmed my usb->TTL adapter is working, power to the PCB, tried it with and w/out GND connected on PCB.

i'm about out of ideas :(

f'n seagate...

Hello!

I have the same problem.

HD: Seagate 7200.11 500Gb

Firm: SD81

RS232/TTL: Handmade (I made it with ST232 using the unlocking guide ST310014ACE by cyd0g. The capacitors are 10uF (original 0.1uF))

Loopback test: Works fine!

I can't tried separated the motor contacts or PCB off the drive.

Ideas, please?.

Thanks a lot!.

PD: I'm thinking purchase Generic CA-42 Nokia cable. It's a good idea?.

Have you cross the RX an TX lines?

RX Hdd <-- TX cable

TX Hdd <-- RX cable

GND <-- GND

What power supply do you use for the adapter? +5V from floppydisk's connector?

This may be a dumb question, but I have two 1TB drives, one of which has now suffered the BSY error. Can I not take the PCB off the good drive to get the bad one going?

NO.

DO NOT change PCB's.

jaclaz

Noted, thanks. I already have my TTL convertor coming off Ebay, hopefully I will have the success shown by everyone else. Is the easiest way to power the drive during the process just stringing a cable out of a PC Power Supply?

Noted, thanks. I already have my TTL convertor coming off Ebay, hopefully I will have the success shown by everyone else. Is the easiest way to power the drive during the process just stringing a cable out of a PC Power Supply?

Yes.

In "mixed" environments, i.e. when something is powered/connected to one PC and something else is powered/connected to "something else", including another PC, you need to pay attention to GROUND. Connect together the ground of all equipment, or you are likely to get some garbage in hyperterminal.

The "derived" guide by CarterInCanada:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133387&hl=

is remarkably clear/advised.

jaclaz

I have a dku-5 arriving later...do i still need power connected to this cable, do i need a ground? how can i connect 2 AA batteries to the cable? why is it that others use cardstock on the head contacts at the side and not on the motor contacts at the middle?

thanks.

My hard drive is currently operating.

According to my experience.

I used:

GND: Yes

DKU-5: No power required.

The PCB from Seagate hard drive, completely separated.

still no luck here... i tried seperating the motor contacts, the head contacts, BOTH, i finally took the PCB off the drive and still am having no luck right at the point where i push "CTRL + Z"... i get nothing, no response at all to the screen

any ideas why i'd get no response to this? i've confirmed my usb->TTL adapter is working, power to the PCB, tried it with and w/out GND connected on PCB.

i'm about out of ideas :(

f'n seagate...

Hello!

I have the same problem.

HD: Seagate 7200.11 500Gb

Firm: SD81

RS232/TTL: Handmade (I made it with ST232 using the unlocking guide ST310014ACE by cyd0g. The capacitors are 10uF (original 0.1uF))

Loopback test: Works fine!

I can't tried separated the motor contacts or PCB off the drive.

Ideas, please?.

Thanks a lot!.

PD: I'm thinking purchase Generic CA-42 Nokia cable. It's a good idea?.

Have you cross the RX an TX lines?

RX Hdd <-- TX cable

TX Hdd <-- RX cable

GND <-- GND

What power supply do you use for the adapter? +5V from floppydisk's connector?

Great!!!!!!... My hdd is back again to life!!!!! ohhh yeahhhhh!!!

Pichi, my mistakes were told that, especially not connect GND.

Thanks a lot Jhothagondyaz, Pichi and Gradius2 for your support.

How many hard disks sold by Seagate and other companies will die in the coming months or years?.

The ideal is to know to fix the problem and not throw in the towel.

Not always the case is the same.

It is sometimes very difficult.

But the information gives us an interesting clue to solve the problem.

An effort is a victory.

I have a dku-5 arriving later...do i still need power connected to this cable, do i need a ground? how can i connect 2 AA batteries to the cable? why is it that others use cardstock on the head contacts at the side and not on the motor contacts at the middle?

thanks.

My hard drive is currently operating.

According to my experience.

I used:

GND: Yes

DKU-5: No power required.

The PCB from Seagate hard drive, completely separated.

at last...direct and informative answers, thanks jhothagondyaz. i really appreciate it.

My DKU-5 it´s a real DKU-5 cable or a fake cable? I have opened the cable and i see only this, will don't be suppose have a chip PL-2303?

dsc00272jy7.jpg

dsc00270xy7.jpg

Help me.

i think i have the same problem with this guy...the windows cannot recognize this cable even the driver is properly installed already...i'm wondering, is there another version of dku-5 other than this?

I have a Barracuda 7200.11 that is DOA. The HP guy said it was the firmware and all my data would be there if I could fix it. My problem is that since the computer is under warranty they are sending me a new drive and I have to send this one back within 3 days of receiving the new one...which came today. Is there anything I can do to fix this within this time? I see people have made the wires to hook the HD up to the computer but I don't think I have the time to gather all the parts and I couldn't assemble everything myself. When I hook the HD up to a working computer on the SATA it hangs the system but once I take it off everything is fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!!!!!!