The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I have 2 drives that are in a BSY state, one is vital as it has a ton of personal data on it. The other is half of a mirrored array that locked in exactly the same way, and the one I'm testing this on, but no matter what I do, I cannot get the hyperterminal session to see the drive. I'm using one of these: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories , using some modified female jump wires (having to remove the plastic ends and using the bare metal because they won't fit on the pins on the HDD circuit board) connecting the RX and TX pins on the chip to the TX and RX ports on the drive, and using the PSU Molex cable with a SATA converter to power the whole thing, but no matter what I do, when I hit CTRL-Z, nothing happens. I swap the TX and RX, same deal, nothing happens. Is there something really basic that I'm doing wrong? Is it because Vista doesn't come with hyperterminal, and I had to download it? :blink:

i also have problem with this specific USB converter he doesnt recognise my Hdd at all also this usb wast recognised in my xp.

if somebody can help me..........i did waited some 5 weeks that this converter come to me and now i can do nothing.....

I waited a couple of weeks, yet I get nothing from the adapter. Even after I installed the driver (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm) that was mentioned in the stuff that came with the adapter, made no difference. When I hook the HDD up to the SATA power pupply, do I need a CR2032 battery as well, or just the PSU power?

I used the cable and port in question on other devices, so I know they definitely work. I joined the RX and TX together, nothing on the loopback, though because all this is new to me, I must admit I have almost no idea what I'm doing :blushing:

EDIT: Would I be better off getting the other adapter instead? (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=449) Most of the info I see seems to center around that chip instead...

Edited by Sovereign01

Hi,

I have the LBA0 problem. My hard drive is recognidez by BIOS but only as a 0GB drive. I have purchased a DKU-5 cable, identified the pins and thied to tak with the HDD.

My problem is that I keep getting weird ASCII random characters. Sometimes I am able to write in the window, but nothing happens. Sometimes I can't write anything.

Pressing Ctrl+Z will write an arrow character --> in the window when I am able to write. And somentimes the storm of characters I recieve stops and I try to write, bun I see nothing happening.

I already tried to use all the possible combination of pins and cables. Same happens, storm of ASCII characters in the window.

My HDD is a STM3500320AS, Maxtor 500GB

Firmware: MX15

Is my DKU-5 deffective? Should I get a CA-42 to try? Is the HDD dead?

Thanks

Someone please help. I followed this post #610 http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=833366 for the commands in HyperTerminal and nothing's happening after command m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22. It's been 20 mins now and I don't see anything. The first post by Gradius said that turning off the drive without seeing something after m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 will ruin the drive. I'm afraid the power might go out at some point.

Here's my log in HyperTerminal so far:

-----------------------------

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elaspsed Time 0.147 msecs

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elaspsed Time 6.894 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

--------------------------------

I get nothing after the last command. I also notice that the command right after Spin Up Complete is F3 2> instead of F3 T3>. I know that post it's about 5 months old and the original poster's probably not around anymore, but anyone knows what's going here please help. Everything's still connected as I'm typing this.

Nevermind. I fixed my mess and I'm now backing up files as I type...woohoo...

Thank you everyone that contributed to this thread. although I've only read about 34 pages, but the info is already overwhelming. Can't do it without your valuable input. Again, Thank you!

Also how do I check that the error code is "LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051" ie what command do I issue the PCB?

Would a PCB replacement also fix this issue?

Great stuff in the post by the way.

-Al

Hi there,

the PCB replacement is not to be recommended.

But you should verify, that the BSY error really is indicated by your drive. At the same time, you will verify, that the terminal connection is properly working. The loopback test does not assert this, because it would work with wrong terminal settings and even with wrong assumption on which is TX and which is the RX wire.

And make shure, that you clean your contacts on the PCB when you have unmounted the PCB.

It might help to read my post http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=854499 on this issue a few pages back.

Good luck!

Since my HDD can be detected by BIOS on power on but when I want to access HDD for recovery for example by GetDataBack program system hangs and then HDD would'nt detected by BIOS untill another power off and on, I decided to update my firmware from SD15 to new version. I did it successfully, But the problem exists yet.

Then I found here. Look, My HDD can be detected repeatedly by power cycle. So what do you think? Can I do as BSY Problem or not??

And also when I check it with Victoria at first I have a normal HDD report and then when system hang and restarts I have BUSY light on!

I will highly highly highly appreciate if somebody guid me.

The BSY problem decribed in this thread is an internal BSY state of the HDD, which is not indicated by the BSY light of the HDD or your computer, but it results in the HDD not being able to be detected by BIOS after power up!

Your problem description is rather related to a fault state of the HDD which is caused by accessing some area on the drive, which is cannot propperly read resulting in a fault state.

When you want to confirm the BSY error, you need to connect the TTL interface to your HDD and see the "LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051" error typed continously by the HDD in the terminal session.

Unfortunately, your problem looks to me more like a head-crash and the reformating etc. did not help. If your drive was in the BSY error state, you could not even have flashed a new firmware to it.

I hope, that you have not very important data on the drive.

Hi,

I have the LBA0 problem. My hard drive is recognidez by BIOS but only as a 0GB drive. I have purchased a DKU-5 cable, identified the pins and thied to tak with the HDD.

My problem is that I keep getting weird ASCII random characters. Sometimes I am able to write in the window, but nothing happens. Sometimes I can't write anything.

Pressing Ctrl+Z will write an arrow character --> in the window when I am able to write. And somentimes the storm of characters I recieve stops and I try to write, bun I see nothing happening.

I already tried to use all the possible combination of pins and cables. Same happens, storm of ASCII characters in the window.

My HDD is a STM3500320AS, Maxtor 500GB

Firmware: MX15

Is my DKU-5 deffective? Should I get a CA-42 to try? Is the HDD dead?

Thanks

The effect of random characters is generated by floating signal levels. If you are using a different computer for your teminal session, where your cable is plugged in, you must connect the GND between that computer and your HDD.

In addition to this, there is an issue with the cellphone cables. Some take the power for the internal adapter chip from the connected phone and not from the serial or USB interface. Of course, these will not work without additionally connecting power to the appropriate cables.

Keep on trying! I recovered the identical model and I think, that RX and TX are reversed with respect to the Seagate disk. So, you should first try to get the "LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051" reading from the HDD in your terminal session. Then you should unmount the PCB etc. and proceed with the solution. I described with on page 65 of this thread.

Good luck :hello:

I have a dku-5 arriving later...do i still need power connected to this cable, do i need a ground? how can i connect 2 AA batteries to the cable? why is it that others use cardstock on the head contacts at the side and not on the motor contacts at the middle?

thanks.

Edited by tssalgado

Hiya All...

Thanks for these instructions Gradius and others for their refinement.

Personally i used a XILINX FPGA to emulate the serial connection and to output at 3.3V. worked a treat. no messing around with IC's

Next is to make it automated or single button operation to fix LBA0 or BSY. Output to VGA.

I know, over kill. A $150.00 bit of kit cmp to the $9.00 RS232 to TTL converter.

THanks again saved us BIG $$$. :thumbup

questions:

1. will it void the warranty unscrewing and removing the PCB?

1. do i still need power using dku-5?... if i'm going to use 2 AA bats, how can i do the connection with dku-5?

2. head contacts (at the side) or the motor contacts (at the middle) are to be temporarily covered with cardstock? i've seen different versions, i don't know which one to follow

tia!

I have an Seagate ST3750330AS - Firmware: SD15 and i have the busy problem, since my the bios of both of my computers no longer recognizes the Hard Drive

It's being difficult for me to find an RS232 to TTL adapter in my country and region, so i would like to know, if i change the logical board of the "dead" hd for an board of an new hd of the same model, firmware, capacities, etc. can i have access back to the data inside the "dead" hd?

My DKU-5 it´s a real DKU-5 cable or a fake cable? I have opened the cable and i see only this, will don't be suppose have a chip PL-2303?

dsc00272jy7.jpg

dsc00270xy7.jpg

Help me.

this is the same dku-5 i have.... will it work? windows can't recognize it even after installing the driver...

Great guide! But I have a problem - my computer freezes (or crashes) when I connect the drive. Everything works fine with the loopback test, but when I put the power supply into the drive my computer freezes, so I am not able to give the drve any commands. Has anybody else experienced this?

I would be really greatful for replies. I've got to drives locked in the state where the computer cannot recognize any drives at all, not even in bios

/David

I have 2 drives that are in a BSY state, one is vital as it has a ton of personal data on it. The other is half of a mirrored array that locked in exactly the same way, and the one I'm testing this on, but no matter what I do, I cannot get the hyperterminal session to see the drive. I'm using one of these: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories , using some modified female jump wires (having to remove the plastic ends and using the bare metal because they won't fit on the pins on the HDD circuit board) connecting the RX and TX pins on the chip to the TX and RX ports on the drive, and using the PSU Molex cable with a SATA converter to power the whole thing, but no matter what I do, when I hit CTRL-Z, nothing happens. I swap the TX and RX, same deal, nothing happens. Is there something really basic that I'm doing wrong? Is it because Vista doesn't come with hyperterminal, and I had to download it? :blink:

i also have problem with this specific USB converter he doesnt recognise my Hdd at all also this usb wast recognised in my xp.

if somebody can help me..........i did waited some 5 weeks that this converter come to me and now i can do nothing.....

ok i did fix my barracuda ;-))))))

problem solved heheheh

Sovereign01 watch the Volts there must be 5V+ because if you dont have it you will get nothing

also watch that your usb (in control panel - device manager) installed and operational ;-)

my barracude work like never before ;-)))

Gradius you are the best!!!!!!! THX from Croatia