The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Some people say, that this is not good to change the boards, but I don't know, why exactly.

Maybe it's because the firmware is recorded not only in the chips on the electronics board, but some part also on the platter in the so called Firmware Area.

Firmware Area (or System Area) is a reserved space dedicated to hard drive's own needs, such as: storing SMART logs, defect reallocation tables, program code (overlays) and so on. Flash EEPROM chip contains only a little part of the Firmware; its primary role is to spin up the spindle and unpark heads so that the drive can read the rest of the firmware from surface.

Firmware Area is inaccessible with generic ATA commands; it cannot be read or written with any software since the fact that the protocol is vendor-unique, and hard drive vendors do not disclose any information about their hard drive Firmware area structure or even about how to access it.

Edited by leon

Hi, everybody

Before anything, I wanna say thx ,I really appreciate to all of you.

However I couldn’t fix my hdd diamondmax 22 yet, but I learned lot about this

Issue .I almost read the posts but I have prob .

I have a laptop and I used my hdd externally with the “usb to sata” adapter when I

Found this prob and I try to solve it….I got trouble .this is my usb to ttl adapter1245519674.jpg, I did

Loopback test (connect tx and rx together) and see everything I typed in HyperTerminal.

But when I connect it to hdd and press ctrl+z , I see”-> “or when I changed tx and rx,

Some unmeaning symbols are appears of ours I did anything I read in the posts.

When I connect the hdd to laptop by usb to sata…,it not work but in device manager

I see it(Maxtor stm3500320as….).

Is there any idea…

Could you help me plz?

(Sorry for my English)

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP

Hello Friends,

I'm happy to say that I unbrick my HDD from the BSY Error - not recognized in BIOS.

Good Luck for the people who have the same problem !

After the Unbrick:

HDD in BIOS = OK , NO LBA0 Problem after Boot, on WinXP_SP3 All Data = OK & HD-Tune Pro 3.5 Error Scan (Full) = OK

Here some Details to help others or maybe be useful:

Hard Drive : Seagate ST3500320AS - 7200.11 - 500 GB - 3,5''

Firmware : SD81

Purchase Date : 11. Feb. 2009

Affected (?) : I check my Drive on Seagate's Homepage - it says that my Drive is not affected, but I HAD the BSY Error !!! The seagate's Database are not Up-2-Date I think

The Cable I use : Nokia CA-42 - USB - The "blue" Cable.

On the label it says :

CA-42

USB Data Cable

S/N WT048000317

The Cable has ONLY 3 wires with these colours

Blue = Ground

White = TX (Transmission)

Yellow = RX (Receiver)

The Cable Driver that was in package, runs without problems on my WinXP Pro SP3. Setup & Reboot

At Device Manager it says:

Nokia CA-42 USB (COM5)

USB\VID_067B&PID_2303\5&3225574&0&4

Vendor : KQ

Driver Date : 12 Jan. 2003

Driver Version : 2.0.0.24

I have an important question and I need help PLEASE

After I Re-Alive my Drive from the BSY Error - I'm afraid that it will happen again !!

Have someone do further experience about FW Updates ?

On my Drive Info you can see that I have the SD81 Firmware.

I Downloaded the SDA1 FW - (ms-sd1a.exe) for Win from Seagate.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...951&Hilite=

Will the Update prevent the HDD from further Errors or not ?

I see some messages in here that makes me think about : http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=129459

Need help ! Should I do the Update or not ???

Greetings

JDz

In Topic: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

OK, guys, had the same bsy probs as others. Did the RS232-TTL thingy but with no success. When I get to the U command, it takes 6 mins, then generates 'Spin Error'.

I Previously had changed logic boards with similar drive but no luck. Have not done the TTL thing with dif logic board as I reckon it will not work. At Any other instructions I can send?

For those in Australia who need an RS232-TTL converter, RS of Melbourne

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/search/...vc=av_au#header

Reduced 33%

444 x 186 (49.34K)

post-246494-1245492479_thumb.jpg

I'm in Perth, ordered via phone early afternoon, flown in and delievered NEXT DAY!

Cable works great, and on my sys had to select COM3, but very easy. As was the whole process. Just a pity it failed.

Seems nothing short of swapping platters, which I can't do, will get my data back. Not critical but heaps of stuff that now requires re-scanning.

Drive had been an external one. Advice to anyone else with sim prob. Don't wait, don't use drive more than necessary, do the TTL thing immediatley. I think my drive may have died totally owing to hardware failure following the BSY thing.

Oh, one last thing. On some posts, they recommend putting card only under Logic to drive connection, on others, both drive and motor connection. however, if I do only the drive and not the motor, I get errors and it will not process.

Eddie

...., I did

Loopback test (connect tx and rx together) and see everything I typed in HyperTerminal.

But when I connect it to hdd and press ctrl+z , I see”-> “or when I changed tx and rx,

When I connect the hdd to laptop by usb to sata…,it not work but in device manager

Is there any idea…

Could you help me plz?

Seems to me like a "ground" problem of some kind (or transmission speed set in Hyperterminal) :unsure:.

jaclaz

...., I did

Is there any idea…

Could you help me plz?

Seems to me like a "ground" problem of some kind (or transmission speed set in Hyperterminal) :unsure:.

jaclaz

thank's a lot ....i did it before but nothing change ,same prob :blushing:

If your adapter works, then you do not connect it in the right way or your HDD is damaged.

There are 4 pins on the HDD connector.You need only three of them.May be you connect it to wrong pins.

i get this too, havent been able to fix

image2myo.gif

just to see what happened, i pulled the card from under the pcb. the hdd startin sendind data to hyperterminal. this is what is said.

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024CDC5

Rst 0x20M

(P) SATA Reset

it repeats this every 5-6 seconds accompanied by the hdd spinning up and down.

am i on the right track?

also, i plugged the + and - from the adapter into the red and black from a molex cable. is that ok?

Edited by Hachiman

Does someone have the first flawed sd15 firmware that bricked the st3500320as???? I need to have THAT firmware. If you have it can you PM me it or Rapidshare it to me, or Megaupload it to me or... you know. :) I will be very grateful for your help. :)

Greetings, ToKuRo.

is there any other reason one would get no response to CTRL + Z in HT? My adaptor is working fine (checked it with RX & TX tied)... I've tried flipping TX & RX on the PCB, have tried with cardstock between just the motor contacts, just the head contacts, & both. I've got power to the PCB but am getting no where with this.

Does ground on the PCB need to be connected to anything? I don't see it mentioned in the instructions anywhere but have tried following the fix for this on about 3 different sites and sometimes it makes reference that you need 3 of the 4 pins... I'm at a loss right now

someone please help me!!!! tia

whoohoo! ok i rummaged around and found a sata power adapter from another old mobo i had. like this one.

sata_power_adapter.jpg

just powered up and am currently spinning down the motor. cross you fingers ladies. brb.

IT WORKED!!! ALL MY DATA IS RIGHT THERE!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL!!! YYYESS!!!

Edited by Hachiman

If your adapter works, then you do not connect it in the right way or your HDD is damaged.

There are 4 pins on the HDD connector.You need only three of them.May be you connect it to wrong pins.

you was right my frind..... :hello:

i got it and hdd is working now.... :thumbup

you know...that was gnd prob.

i realy appreciate.

and you my frind joopin...if you want i can help you.

i am iranian too