The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

ok so my next question is i happen to have a USB to RS232 Module Based TTL PC FTDI FT232BM/BL chip, the one found Here. The walkthrough ill be using is using the serial port option, any one know how to work this using a USB port?

From the given site:

For USB drivers for a virtual COM port plus Windows DLLs for interfacing with VisualBasic and Visual C visit their website at:

http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDriver.htm

Here:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Zip:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%20...20Certified.zip

Installer:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%202.04.16.exe

No problem at all, it will create a "fake" COM port (just like the USB to RS-232 converter talked about in the thread).

jaclaz

hi everyone,

when i pressed CTRL+Z in HyperTerminal session, it was showing this:

image2myo.gif

yes me too did u manage to rectify this problem?

regards chris

Ok i have completed my firmware update and recovered a full 1tb healthy.. this screens is produced because you (like me) did not plug the sata power cord to the pcb board...ok like der .. gradius2 does mention it... now the only othr confusing thing was the power OFF/ON drive after S.M.A.R.T erase ..all i did was unplug sata power to pcb wait a littl over 10 seconds then reconnect it whilst pc is on ..continue with instructions from press ctrl+z.... i also would like to mention i did not do the g-list bit .. this code did take a great deal longer to show up however..like 20-25 mins--->

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

After this msg i restarted pc and disconnected all other drives and updated firmware

Although i am a complete novice , i was able to complete this tutorial... Cheers Gradius2 you are epic lifesaver as i was seriously not prepared to send anything back to seagate without at least trying this even though it is still under warranty...now where's that othr 1tb drive ..send this heap of ^%$@ back

hi there i have just completed this process tonight ... a few things noted... 1. triple check all wires 2. use the paper under pcb trick (less risk) 3. copy and paste commands from Gradius2 post 4. DONT be impatient if things go slower, wait for it 5. back-up immediatly after recovery

I too had extremely valuable data ... u could literally hear my balls rattling :thumbup this drive went down almost as soon as it filled

I used a usb RS232 to TTL adapter if your connected to the net it auto updates and installs the hardware

Hi all . please help me this error. Have failed to board ?

Yahoo: hoiphucdulieu

untitled-1.jpg

Gday mate ..it appears that you did not lift the pcb board off of the PCB that touch the hdd motor contacts ok

im not an expert but i seem to remember that this was the error you would get under normal operation in hyperterminal... undo all the screws on your circuit board(PCB) on the hdd so that they are only just holding on the PCB then slide a piece of paper under the PCB where the contacts are for the hdd motor (in the centre of the hdd) then screw them back down this should rectify your problem .. read other threads in here and click their links to photos and other useful bits of info to give yourself a better understanding of what is being done, if your english is bad have a friend help u with translation .... follow Gradius2 instructions to the letter

regards

chris

Gday mate ..it appears that you did not lift the pcb board off of the PCB that touch the hdd motor contacts ok

im not an expert but i seem to remember that this was the error you would get under normal operation in hyperterminal... undo all the screws on your circuit board(PCB) on the hdd so that they are only just holding on the PCB then slide a piece of paper under the PCB where the contacts are for the hdd motor (in the centre of the hdd) then screw them back down this should rectify your problem .. read other threads in here and click their links to photos and other useful bits of info to give yourself a better understanding of what is being done, if your english is bad have a friend help u with translation .... follow Gradius2 instructions to the letter

regards

chris

thank you

I have done the right steps,but still this error.( error 1009 detsec 00006008 )

CODE

F3 T>/2 (enter)

F3 2>

And type (to spind down the motor):

CODE

F3 2>Z (enter)

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs (the time will vary here)

F3 2>

With the POWER CONNECTED to the PCB board, as well as your TX/RX terminal wires, mount the board back on the HDA case. You must have the power connected when you do this.

Now type (to start the motor):

...................... v.v

Edited by cuudulieu

Do a loopback test, see here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...8807&st=384

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=1194

jaclaz

Hi I can't even get to the loopback test stage, because I haven't been able to get Hyperterminal to make a connection to my Virtual Serial Port.

When I try to connect, I just end up with "can't open COM port" message

I've got a CA-42 cable and a DKU-5 (generic from ebay both Prolific) and have tried the drivers that came with the cable, and all the drivers for those cables that others have linked to on this forum.

I've tried all the USB ports on two different PCs.

It all looks good in Device Manager with the cable recognised, and the VCP assigned, but I just can't seem to connect to it.

I've tried the COM port settings advised here in both Device manager properties and in Hyperterminal when I try to connect, and I've tried all other combinations of port settings, but I still and up with the "can't open COM port" Message. Same thing even with a Nokia phone connected.

I've even tried setting serial to auto in Super I/O in BIOS, but still no joy.

I've ordered a CP2102 USB to TTL adaptor on ebay now, but I've got a horrible feeling that I may get the same thing with that.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated

Edited by BMboomer

Hi I can't even get to the loopback test stage, because I haven't been able to get Hyperterminal to make a connection to my Virtual Serial Port.

When I try to connect, I just end up with "can't open COM port" message

I've got a CA-42 cable and a DKU-5 (generic from ebay both Prolific) and have tried the drivers that came with the cable, and all the drivers for those cables that others have linked to on this forum.

I've tried all the USB ports on two different PCs.

It all looks good in Device Manager with the cable recognised, and the VCP assigned, but I just can't seem to connect to it.

I've tried the COM port settings advised here in both Device manager properties and in Hyperterminal when I try to connect, and I've tried all other combinations of port settings, but I still and up with the "can't open COM port" Message. Same thing even with a Nokia phone connected.

I've even tried setting serial to auto in Super I/O in BIOS, but still no joy.

I've ordered a CP2102 USB to TTL adaptor on ebay now, but I've got a horrible feeling that I may get the same thing with that.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated

Set the com port number manually. When I installed the cable driver, assigns the COM to 6, but only 1 to 4 was showed in teraterm (program that I used). When I set the number of com to 4 in device manager, connected fine.

Edited by evandrotex@gmail.com

Dear Friends

regarding the maxtors STM3500320AS hard drives BSY error , i want to know whether it is possible to change the the electronic board on the drive with exactly the another same hard drive board ( Maxtor STM3500320AS)? then we don`t need to recover our files ....because there are too many valuable data for me on this hard drive.

on the other hand , i`m not that professionals to do such a delicate thing...

please kindly help me, i really need your support

your help would be really appreciated,

Joopin

Edited by joopin

PLEASE HELP!!!

I don't know if I'm the right track or not.... Originally i thought I had the BSY error as the drive was not recognized in BIOS, but when trying Gradius's fix I'm getting no hyperterminal response.

I know the cable I made with the RS232 connector from sparkfun electronics is working. When I loopback the TX and RX I'm getting output in hyperterminal, but when connecting to the hard drive I get nothing.

I tried switching RX and TX on the drive and still nothing.

Took the PCB off of the hard drive entirely and nothing. Pressing CNTL+z through all of the above steps. Tried caps, no caps.

The RS232 cable and hard drive share the ground as it's from the same power supply.

I'm starting to think my hard drive is bricked for good. When hooked up to the hard drive the RX LED on the RS232 connector is on constantly, but when I perform the loopback test it only flashes when inputing something from the keyboard (as I would expect to happen). It does the same thing when PCB is on the hard drive or not....the LED constantly glows red while the send LED flashes with key strokes.

This is probably something I should've posted before I got the parts for this repair (though this has been fun), but here's an audio file of the sound the hard drive is making upon power up. It's not the click of death, but it doesn't sound like the best noise a hard drive should make. Maybe a new PCB would do the trick??? Does anyone know what this sound is? I'm guessing I don't have either the BSY or 0 LBA error and that I should throw this HD in the garbage....though I would love to recover me some data.

Audio - hard drive powering up Please turn speakers up fairly loud.

Any help/info is greatly appreciated!

~eldrummair

DONE!!

I followed the steps very, very carefully and now my HD works fine again and whith all its data back, so thaks a lot to all of you :D

I used a NO original siemens c55 data cable and a cd-rom audio cable to conect TX and RX to the HD and lots of calm. Good luck for all and again thank you

Set the com port number manually. When I installed the cable driver, assigns the COM to 6, but only 1 to 4 was showed in teraterm (program that I used). When I set the number of com to 4 in device manager, connected fine.

Hi evandrotex

my assigned port in device manager was 4, and it showed in Hyperterminal when trying to connect. I tried changing it to 2 in device manager, but still got the "cant open COM2" message when trying to connect.

Then I thought I'd try Teraterm, like you did, and to my amazement, I got a connection, and the loopback test works ( DKU-5 cable). Thanks a million for that, you got me past first base. Now I can try the real tricky stuff.

Cheers

Dear Friends

regarding the maxtors STM3500320AS hard drives BSY error , i want to know whether it is possible to change the the electronic board on the drive with exactly the another same hard drive board ( Maxtor STM3500320AS)? then we don`t need to recover our files ....because there are too many valuable data for me on this hard drive.

on the other hand , i`m not that professionals to do such a delicate thing...

please kindly help me, i really need your support

your help would be really appreciated,

Joopin

Dear Friends...isn`t there anyone out there to help me?

please give me y our commends..

Thanks