The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

hi all

id just like to say thanks for all the help here. I came here after a mate of mine had a drive that was in BSY state. I did the whole thing and I got it back up and running and he is a very happy man!

:thumbup

so I got another drive, (im pretty sure the same problem) and I started the whole process again...

I can connect to the drive 100% when I hit Control-Z, the problem comes in when I try to spin the drive down. I get this error. ( file attached )

Can someone please assist? I really need help here! :blink:

thanks in advance!

post-247299-1244914436_thumb.png

sorry I was doing something really stupid.. :whistle:

Thats another drive back from the dead!

:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

hi all

id just like to say thanks for all the help here. I came here after a mate of mine had a drive that was in BSY state. I did the whole thing and I got it back up and running and he is a very happy man!

:thumbup

so I got another drive, (im pretty sure the same problem) and I started the whole process again...

I can connect to the drive 100% when I hit Control-Z, the problem comes in when I try to spin the drive down. I get this error. ( file attached )

Can someone please assist? I really need help here! :blink:

thanks in advance!

Hey folks, nice work here. Myself, I completed each step but now when i did the m0,2,2,,,,,22 command, it has sat here for more then 20 minutes with no confirmation of completion. Anyway to cancel it and try again or should I just shut off the drive and try again?

Hey folks, nice work here. Myself, I completed each step but now when i did the m0,2,2,,,,,22 command, it has sat here for more then 20 minutes with no confirmation of completion. Anyway to cancel it and try again or should I just shut off the drive and try again?

dude im pretty sure it says that if you turn the drive off at that stage then you land up with a brick, and there is no going back!

keep the power on, and I would start from the beginning. What happens if you hit Contolr-Z ?

I would just start again, and include the "optional" bit

cheers

dude im pretty sure it says that if you turn the drive off at that stage then you land up with a brick, and there is no going back!

keep the power on, and I would start from the beginning. What happens if you hit Contolr-Z ?

I would just start again, and include the "optional" bit

cheers

I can't do Ctrl+Z or anything, it is just sitting there. I guess I'll just leave it on, it is 1:30AM in my area right now, I'll check back when I wake up to see if anything can be done (I hope so!).

ok so it's been 8:30 hours and still no completion message. Any safe course of action at this point?

The only thing I can think of is disconnecting via hyperterminal and reconnect.

Welp I tried it and it seems to be stuck in whatever state after i initiated the m0,2.... command. Damnit.

For those that care and may encounter the same problem, I ended up searching this thread one more time and it turns out someone had the same problem as me. The solution: I powered down and started the process over again. It worked.

Edited by TelMarine

i wonder if Nokia 3310 cable might work, it has four pins, but i dont seem to be able to determine which is TX or RX. :unsure:

someone can probably give me some idea. would appreciate that, thanks.

:wacko:Hey there im currently experiencing a drive not showing up its a 7200.11 breed as well, i have wired it up like so but i only get a > when i press ctrl-z nothing else if i flip the rx-tx , hyperterminal is non responsive...any ideas .. cheers

ps im using hyperterminal private edition 5 does that make any difference..

also i checked if is definatly correct com

i have double checked all wires

post-247557-1245068011_thumb.jpg

hi everyone,

when i pressed CTRL+Z in HyperTerminal session, it was showing this:

image2myo.gif

yes me too did u manage to rectify this problem?

regards chris

No, i didn't. I'm still waiting an answer. <_<

well im getting ready to get my HDD out of the BSY error but reading the pages i see that This page the pictures are gone, any one know why and if any one has them?

Use THIS guide/page:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133387&hl=

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

as reference. ;)

However, original images were re-posted on this same thread by member pichi, here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=1243

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hello to you all!

First,may I say,that I'm very-very gratefull for these forums,especially for this topic; it gave me a chance for saveing my datas stuck on my 'bricked' 1TB Seagaete -.-

I will get the stuff,what's needed for the repairs,and I will give a shot at this week; but I will read,read and read as much as I can. I can't take the risk,of loseing my data...

But now,I want to ask somathing. I've got another Seagate,an 500GB ST3500320AS. Yet it isn't 'infected' by this nonsense crap of Seagate's clumsyness; I just want to upgrade it's firmware from ST15 (the infected one) to SD1A. I readed about the firmware upgrade,before I was going to start it (and hopefully,I will read after anything,that I'll make with my PC in the future cuz $h1t happens) -and I've founded some interesting thing.

Some say,that the firmware upgrade from SD15 to SD1A went smooth,but others say,that this new FW (the SD1A) have had more bugs in itself,than the SD15,and it made there HDD-s imoperable.

I'm not sure,that I got it right,cuz some said that Seagate first relased a ->BAD SD1A -and then relased the FIXED SD1A...

My question is,that wich FW is downloadable from the Seagate site than? The old buggy,or the 'new and fixed' SD1A?

Oh,and btw the Seagate detecting tools say that my ST3500320AS isn't infected,but others say it is,and other sites have written from it too,so I suppose it is.

My last Q: (if you say,that there is the new and fixed firmware on seagate's site,I will download it,but) Is it tricky to install it? There are two ways: a command-line type and a software type firmware install variable...so,wich is mine? =)

Thank you so much for the posts so far,and I will thank you this too,I you can answer it!!!

(sorry for the silly english; I can speak and write it very well,but I may have some difficulites about the right understanding of it =)

Cheers from Hungary by Peter