The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

HI everyone.. first I want to thank the person that come up with this fix.. don't understand why SeaGate don't mass produce this sort of cabel and send it to everyone that have this problem.. its there obligation..!! =P

I want to thank all the person that have wrote all the guides that is on the NET..

Visualize.. you can't us a usb-usb cabel, what I know.. what you need is a USB-to-TTL kabel.. I strongly recommend this cabel.. I used this cabel and it work perfectly.. and you don't have to trix with 3.3V and all that.. all you need to do is carefully take out the orange, yellow, and black cabel from the socket.. and then isolate them so that they don't touch each other and do a short-cut..

here is a pdf whit all the documentation and where to get the drivers..

here is a picture how my cabel looks like..

t_fKTXcLRbA.gif

Edited by .di

Hi everybody,

I have a 7200.11 ST3500320AS (firm SD15) with BSY error :}

At first I tryed to replace the PCB by an other ST3500320AS --> not recognized by BIOS...

Then I tryed the gradius solution:

/2

Z (Spin Down Complete Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs)

With the POWER CONNECTED to the PCB board I mount the board back on the HDA case

U

I hear the motor and 7 min after I have the same message:

erroreek6.jpg

(I use a power sullply +12V-4A +5V-5A)

why it doesn't work?

Thanks

any solution, me too affected from this problem.

@ filippode2

1. Changing the PCB ist not recommended, because of incompatibilities: geometrical data of the disk is programmed into the PCB. Booting the Disk with an incompatible PCB can cause severe damage to the read/write heads. :thumbdown

2. I hope, that this is not the case. Then the Read/Write error seems to me a problem caused by bad contacts on the motor or Head connector. What I recommend before executing the commands: Unmount the PCB completely and clean all contact areas of the PCB. These are the contacts for the motor and the contacts for the read/write heads. I used a rubber erasor and it worked fine. Often the contact areas are a little bit oxidized exept at the spot where contact is made. If, by unmounting the PCB you shift this point of contact, you only get a partial contact and this can be really bad.

So try it again and look, what I have discribed in my post in the previous page. :)

Good luck.

Any one in the Greater Montreal Area who have fixed the problem or are suffering the problem, I have two drives affected.

Thanks a lot for these useful informations, thanks to everyone who worked toward the BSY fix. :hello:

For adhmuz: Yes, I am one!

Visualize.. you can't us a usb-usb cabel, what I know.. what you need is a USB-to-TTL kabel.. I strongly recommend this cabel.. I used this cabel and it work perfectly.. and you don't have to trix with 3.3V and all that.. all you need to do is carefully take out the orange, yellow, and black cabel from the socket.. and then isolate them so that they don't touch each other and do a short-cut..

here is a pdf whit all the documentation and where to get the drivers..

here is a picture how my cabel looks like..

t_fKTXcLRbA.gif

Thanks.. i'll order one of these or a ca-42(nokia dku3 cable) asap :)

What did u select in hyper terminal ??? com1 ?

@ Visualize

I recommend one of the cheap cellphone data cables like the nokia, you mentioned. To my knowledge, Siemens will do as well. If you have RS232 on your PC, you can use the RS232 type. But then you have to be carefull, wheter you get one wich takes the power from the mobile. No-name clones usually dont. If that is the case, you need to take +5V from the PC as well. And I suggest to connect your interface cable directy to the PC that will power the SATA drive, then you will not have all the difficulties with Ground connections and phantom characters in the terminal software.

If you have RS232 on you PC and happen to have a box with electronic components, diodes, resistors and transistors, you can wire yourself a little interface. I would give you a clue.

Cheers

- 0 LBA error: it happens when your BIOS can recognize your HDD at POST moment, but as an 0MB drive.

Thank's you ! Recovered all data from my Maxtor STM3500320AS.

Marco

@ filippode2

1. Changing the PCB ist not recommended, because of incompatibilities: geometrical data of the disk is programmed into the PCB. Booting the Disk with an incompatible PCB can cause severe damage to the read/write heads. :thumbdown

2. I hope, that this is not the case. Then the Read/Write error seems to me a problem caused by bad contacts on the motor or Head connector. What I recommend before executing the commands: Unmount the PCB completely and clean all contact areas of the PCB. These are the contacts for the motor and the contacts for the read/write heads. I used a rubber erasor and it worked fine. Often the contact areas are a little bit oxidized exept at the spot where contact is made. If, by unmounting the PCB you shift this point of contact, you only get a partial contact and this can be really bad.

So try it again and look, what I have discribed in my post in the previous page. :)

Good luck.

hey mate the drive doesn't spin up anymore

i hear a bzz bzz bzz from hdd but the motor not spin with pcd isolated nor connected.

any ideas?

Thank you very much Gradius2 - today I was able to easily unbrick my Maxtor 500GB using your tutorial. :)

You're the man!

P.S. Do you have any PayPal account? I would gladly send you a few bucks as a thank you gift.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

It's working!

Okay okay!

I don't even needed the s***ty RS232 to any s*** or whatever.

When I saw the desperate of null console I do something insane.

I have 2x ST31000340AS. So I swapped the PCB's and I let the hard disk head beat insanely. Ok...

Fired up the Seagate Firmware Utility to SD1A, and the update was done! Using the old board in the new disk.

Reswapped the PCB and when I boot the machine? ST31000340AS SD1A 1000Gb O.O

Disk is FIXED!!! I can't BELIEVE! Only with Firmware update from Seagate ;)

All my files are back online!

ViniciusFerrao, you save me. My HD it's back again

THANK U MAN

Greatings from ALBANIA

Edited by aka70

Hi guys, I tried the process in order to solve the BSY error I have with my Seagate HD. I got till the step where I need to write the

F3 2>U

and then I didn't manage to get any thurther. I didn't get any message after that. Did somone encounted with the same problem? Is there any way to solve it and move thurther with the fix?

Hi to all

tnx for your soloution,i did all your set but when i bring back the pcb to the HDA , the hyperterminal program hangs and i cant type (u) to spin up the hdd .

how can i solve the problem ?

i tried this method on five diffrent HDDs but all of them hanged.

tnx for ypur soonest response .

Many thanks to solving this mess Seagate have put us in! :thumbup

I just brought my ST3100034AS with SD15 firmware back to life today thanks to this guide. It had the infamous BSY problem. Yeah, I know, I'm late. Had it die way back on Boxing Day 2008. First I had a dud USB to TTL adaptor, so I gave up for a while. Eventually I decided to play it safe and bought an RS232 to TTL adaptor as then it's all native. The only computer I had lying around that had an RS232 port was my old 500 MHz Pentium III from way back in 1998. I was about to give this thing away, but it seems it proved its usefulness after I fired it up for the first time in years. Yeah, the level of improvisation one has to make in order to fix this drive is quite amazing. :P

I didn't really have much equipment around and there weren't many shops nearby selling much more than jumpers, so I bought a load of jumpers and decided to use them a bit like headers. Then I connected it all up. The TX from the adaptor went to the RX on the hard drive, and RX from the adaptor to the TX on the hard drive. I also used a 3V battery to power the adaptor because I didn't like the idea of chopping up my SATA cables. And of course, I wedged in a piece of card to separate the motor contacts. After plugging the SATA power cable to the hard drive from my main computer's PSU, the terminal session was all good to fire up.

A couple of minutes later and the Seagate booted happily as if nothing ever went wrong with it. Everything was there the way I left it. So in other words, another epic success story. :)

So yeah, a BIG THANK YOU for saving me from the black hole aka Seagate 'service'. You guys are awesome! Now proceeding to update the firmware... :)

EDIT: Firmware updated to SD1A, it's all good. :D

Edited by Lippy