The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi there, i hope someone might help or some suggestions,i have a ST31000340AS drive which stopped about a week ago, 90% full. i tried updating the firmware to the new SD1A which made no difference, tried SD14, bios wouldnt detect drive with SD14. Bios Detects the drive (SD15 & SD1A) with correct capacity but in Vista64 i get smartdrive failure, and i have no access to drive, with 0gig Capacity and cant determine the firmware (blank). TestDisk is full of read errors. If i restart, bios does not detect drive and i get bsod when vista is booting. Do i have a chance of restoring my data with the TLL connection? and would this cable be ok . http://www.new-forest-electronics.co.uk/TTL(3v3).htm

ThankYou (fingerscrossed)

Hi all

Have been reading this topic during the time I have been waiting for my TTL RS232 adapter to arrive.

Now it is here, I am a bit stuck as to how to power up everything.

Thanks for the info so far to all involved in setting this post up.

I have a question regarding my adapter.

Do I need to power the RS232 interface seperately from my hard disk?

Where do I connect the power to on the RS232 interface I have (pictured below)

IMG_1209.JPGIMG_1207.JPG

Hi all

Have been reading this topic during the time I have been waiting for my TTL RS232 adapter to arrive.

Now it is here, I am a bit stuck as to how to power up everything.

Thanks for the info so far to all involved in setting this post up.

I have a question regarding my adapter.

Do I need to power the RS232 interface seperately from my hard disk?

Where do I connect the power to on the RS232 interface I have (pictured below)

IMG_1209.JPGIMG_1207.JPG

VCC -> +5V (Red wire from floppy's cable)

GND -> GND (Black wire from floppy's cable)

Or you can use 3V to 5V battery

Gracias Pichi, I got a terminal connection working!

I applied the BSY fix, now the BIOS of my PC sees the drive as 0GB.

Should I apply the LBA fix, or retry the BSY fix with G-List step?

Do you loose data if you apply an LBA fix? I read you have to format?

Gracias Pichi, I got a terminal connection working!

I applied the BSY fix, now the BIOS of my PC sees the drive as 0GB.

Should I apply the LBA fix, or retry the BSY fix with G-List step?

Do you loose data if you apply an LBA fix? I read you have to format?

You should apply LBA0 fix: m0,2,2,,,,,22 command

I haven't loose nothing, it format the service area (SA), a hidden are of the hdd. It isn't the window's format.

It is nice to see that there is a DIY work around for these drives. However, I can also see that it can be frustrating. I work for a data recovery company and we offer to do the fix (without any further testing or mirroring of the drive) for $300...and it is a same day service.

As most of you are doing the DIY solution because you can't afford to pay the big bucks of the big data recovery labs...or even the $300 we are charging, I'm curious to know what kind of price you would find reasonable to have your drive fixed so that you can access your data again. Perhaps, if your suggestions are doable, we'll make an adjustment to the pricing of this service.

Thanks again for this info, I applied the LBA0 fix after the BSY fix, and all has come back, windows booted up wihtout any issues, thankyou so much!

lcoughey - Business users and personal users have different values attached to their contents, I lost some photos and vinyl records which I have carefully ripped to mp3 and catalogued, meaing I would have wasted my personal time doing that, and the sentimental value of the pictures, which is hard to value.

Would I rather stay at work and earn overtime for to pay for a drive recovery, or stay at home and rip my music again?

I guess I could go to the same concert again and take more photos, or have my drive recovered..kind of a hard question to answer.

aviko you are a legend!

I was very nervous at first but can't believe how easy it turned out to be.

I used a CA-42 cable made from Daipu, worked out the wires using a multimeter: Red = TDX, Blue = RXD, Orange = Ground) then butchered an old internal usb cable for the connectors (to connect to the hard drive) and twisted that cable onto the ca-42.

I decided to install windows xp onto a spare hard disk for hyperterminal.

At first I used the instructions from the link in post 921

http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/

but in its current form I did not notice it was missing the "/" command before the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 and I entered it there getting an invalid diagnosic command message. Then when I got to the right point and entered the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 it got stuck. Ten minutes later I disconnected the power to the hard drive, and started from scratch following the instructions from aviko's post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=833366

2 minutes later my drive was back to life.

If anyone in Glasgow needs help, let me know.

Cheers

I've been having problems trying to talk with my hard drive through terminal software. I've tried both PuTTY and HyperTerminal, but neither seem to work. I verified that my USB to UART adapater was working fine by doing a loopback test and it passed, but when I hook it up to the hard drive, nothing comes up when i push CTRL+z. Is it necessary to connect the ground cable from the board to the hard drive as well? Might have been my problem when I was trying it. I'm using this board btw http://alldav.com/index.php?main_page=prod...;products_id=21

lcoughey - Business users and personal users have different values attached to their contents, I lost some photos and vinyl records which I have carefully ripped to mp3 and catalogued, meaing I would have wasted my personal time doing that, and the sentimental value of the pictures, which is hard to value.

Would I rather stay at work and earn overtime for to pay for a drive recovery, or stay at home and rip my music again?

I guess I could go to the same concert again and take more photos, or have my drive recovered..kind of a hard question to answer.

I agree that of the data on the drive may have more value for time than dollars. Ironically enough, many of theses Seagate fixes we have done were for personal users who just wanted access to their precious photos again. We did have a few users with these drive setup in a RAID 0 and they were very happy to pay $300 for a simple drive repair than $600 or more for the RAID recovery.

Hi all! I was wondering if mine would fall under the BSY category or worse? Everytime i plug in my hard drive (7200.11 FW:SD15), the head will make some sort noise that goes tuu..tee...tuu.... akin to a motherboard having a bad BIOS firmware. I was wondering if all of you ppl out there are getting such noises upon powering up?

The hard drive was working fine until one day it decided to stop working for good. Now, the drive is undetectable and I've lost over 200GBs of data inside. And I bought it in October 08!!! Even my 9 year old 10.2GB Quantum Fireball is still working today!! What a total disappointment.

:D:thumbup

Al final me compré en Ebay un cable CA-42 y siguiendo los pasos de Pichi, he conseguido recuperar todos mis datos del disco duro.

Gracias a todos y en especial a Pichi

----------------------------------------------------------------

In the end I bought on Ebay a CA-42 and following in the footsteps of Pichi, I've managed to recover all my data on the hard disk.

Thank you all and especially to Pichi

hellooo.,

i'v st3500320as.. & not detected in bios..

now i'v purchased dku 5 cable . which have 4 wires red, white, black & green...

can any body plz explain me.. which cable is which??

& do i need to open the chip set on hard disk??...

& in my pc there is no COM2 .. how do i configure it???

plz help me..

detail of cable.

/N:wt048000317

M/N:DP-U8A

m new bout this hardware stuff.... :unsure:

thank u in advance..

PM me or reply here...

Edited by PtN.009

Hi there, i hope someone might help or some suggestions,i have a ST31000340AS drive which stopped about a week ago, 90% full. i tried updating the firmware to the new SD1A which made no difference, tried SD14, bios wouldnt detect drive with SD14. Bios Detects the drive (SD15 & SD1A) with correct capacity but in Vista64 i get smartdrive failure, and i have no access to drive, with 0gig Capacity and cant determine the firmware (blank). TestDisk is full of read errors. If i restart, bios does not detect drive and i get bsod when vista is booting. Do i have a chance of restoring my data with the TLL connection? and would this cable be ok . http://www.new-forest-electronics.co.uk/TTL(3v3).htm

ThankYou (fingerscrossed)

You can restore your data with the TTL connection.

The cable is good (use FTDI FT232RQ integrated circuit) and very expensive!

I've been having problems trying to talk with my hard drive through terminal software. I've tried both PuTTY and HyperTerminal, but neither seem to work. I verified that my USB to UART adapater was working fine by doing a loopback test and it passed, but when I hook it up to the hard drive, nothing comes up when i push CTRL+z. Is it necessary to connect the ground cable from the board to the hard drive as well? Might have been my problem when I was trying it. I'm using this board btw http://alldav.com/index.php?main_page=prod...;products_id=21
You need connect GND too (pin3).

I think that the board is good.