The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

OK, Im so frustrated with my problem, and I dont know if I should just give it a try.

I have the famous Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive, which is made in Thailand ref: ST31000340AS with firmware level LC15. It came with my iogema MiniMax 1T HD, and I only bought it weeks ago, and used 2 times. After I copied all my IMPORTANT data from my laptop to it (and deleted the files from my computer), it stopped working.

I'm not sure if mine belongs 2 either of the 2 errors identified. When I turn the HD box on, the led light is on, but there is no any ticking sound at all. And then I took the HD out of the iogema box, and connect it to a pc, still quite as dead, no sign of working at all. Can't see it in devise centre or anywhere else.

Do you guys think mine has the fireware problem as well? or it just dead?

Please please help me, Im a designer, and my last 2 years work are all in the **** HD. I would rather die if Im going to lose them all.

Please HELP!!!

OK, Im so frustrated with my problem, and I dont know if I should just give it a try.

I have the famous Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive, which is made in Thailand ref: ST31000340AS with firmware level LC15. It came with my iogema MiniMax 1T HD, and I only bought it weeks ago, and used 2 times. After I copied all my IMPORTANT data from my laptop to it (and deleted the files from my computer), it stopped working.

I'm not sure if mine belongs 2 either of the 2 errors identified. When I turn the HD box on, the led light is on, but there is no any ticking sound at all. And then I took the HD out of the iogema box, and connect it to a pc, still quite as dead, no sign of working at all. Can't see it in devise centre or anywhere else.

Do you guys think mine has the fireware problem as well? or it just dead?

Please please help me, Im a designer, and my last 2 years work are all in the **** HD. I would rather die if Im going to lose them all.

Please HELP!!!

Welcom to the club hizack ...

The only solution is to follow steps at first page of this forum... i'm waiting the RS232-TTl ordered on ebay...

Im a Mac user, does the solution apply to mac ox system?

As for the terminal software, I only found a mac system terminal software, does it work as well?

The solution is not OS dependent, any terminal software should work. The tricky part is if all you have access to is USB ports and no DB9(or DB25) serial ports, then you'll need to find or make the right cable.

Hello.

I am a "happy owner" of a 500 GB 7200.11 Seagate drive affected with the firmware issue, the BSY one and maybe the LBA0 too... After a intensive search I founded the way to fix my drive and recover all my info. But when I try the method I have a little problem: I do not obtain the prompt in hyperterminal. Let me explain what i've done:

I have the rs232 to ttl converter powered by a molex from the PC at 5 Volts. I've tested it conecting rx and tx and typing in hyperterminal and works fine.

Then, I remove completly the pcb from the HD and connect RX and TX wires to the TX and RX of the converter (shifting connections do nothing in hyperterminal). The next step is power the converter, open hyperterminal and configure it (38400,8,N,1,N) and power the HD board. The problem arrives now:

I press CRTL+z but I do not get the prompt. The only thing that appears on hyperterminal screen are spaces and black squares. As I said previosly, changing the conections do nothing on screen.

I've changed hyperterminal config as suggested in other post to "windows key" and the problem persists.

What I'm doing incorrectly???

Thanks in advance and excuses for my bad english.

PD: he estado siguiendo los posts de Pichi en el hilo en castellano hasta que lo cerraron. Si algun consejo fuera en castellano lo entendería mejor :blushing: :blushing:

Edited by tostator

Then, I remove completly the pcb from the HD and connect RX and TX wires to the TX and RX of the converter

Is the data ground connected to pin 2?

Try this.

I thought that it was not necessary when using the rs232-ttl converter, but I'll try.

Thanks!!!

Hello.

I am a "happy owner" of a 500 GB 7200.11 Seagate drive affected with the firmware issue, the BSY one and maybe the LBA0 too... After a intensive search I founded the way to fix my drive and recover all my info. But when I try the method I have a little problem: I do not obtain the prompt in hyperterminal. Let me explain what i've done:

I have the rs232 to ttl converter powered by a molex from the PC at 5 Volts. I've tested it conecting rx and tx and typing in hyperterminal and works fine.

Then, I remove completly the pcb from the HD and connect RX and TX wires to the TX and RX of the converter (shifting connections do nothing in hyperterminal). The next step is power the converter, open hyperterminal and configure it (38400,8,N,1,N) and power the HD board. The problem arrives now:

I press CRTL+z but I do not get the prompt. The only thing that appears on hyperterminal screen are spaces and black squares. As I said previosly, changing the conections do nothing on screen.

I've changed hyperterminal config as suggested in other post to "windows key" and the problem persists.

What I'm doing incorrectly???

Thanks in advance and excuses for my bad english.

PD: he estado siguiendo los posts de Pichi en el hilo en castellano hasta que lo cerraron. Si algun consejo fuera en castellano lo entendería mejor :blushing: :blushing:

When I tried using 5 volt from the power supply to power the rs-232 convertor, I also gotten nothing. I then used 2 'D' cell batteries to power the convertor and connecting all the negatives together to make it work.

Then, I remove completly the pcb from the HD and connect RX and TX wires to the TX and RX of the converter

Is the data ground connected to pin 2?

Try this.

I thought that it was not necessary when using the rs232-ttl converter, but I'll try.

Thanks!!!

No tienes un cable de Nokia a la mano?. Te digo porque yo lo hice con un DKU-5 y funcionó a la primera

MY DRIVE after After C>Q

gives:

Led 000000CE FAddr 0028E24b

and after Ctrl+z

LED 000000CE FAdr00280569

No command no spin down

Is it dead?

If i buy another one the same and put the new pcb on?

Yippy! Managed to unbricked my 7200.11; 1TB; ST31000340AS; 9QJ203CE; SD15.

I followed the instruction of Gash (post #921) who sorta complied instructions/experience by Aviko, Gradius2 and others on this thread.

<http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/>

I used a CA-42 (s/no WT048000317) bought from Ebay which uses Arkmicro (usb\vid_6547&pid_0232). Drivers for this can be found here: <http://file4.uafile.com/~d/drv/Win98%20Me%202k%20XP/>

No drivers for VISTA OS could be found online, so i had to find a comp with XP OS.

ca-42.jpg

<http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/New-USB-Data-Cable-Ca-42-for-Nokia-6131-7220-7250-6820_W0QQitemZ170308875635QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_216?hash=item170308875635&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318>

ca42-white_rx-green_tx-red_gnd.jpg

The cable has 6 wires:

(1) white is RX, which goes to HDD's TX

(2) green is TX, which goes to HDD's RX

(3) red is GND, which goes to HDD's GND (not grounding the CA-42 with HDD may result in gibberish typing in hyperterminal)

(4) Orange (not used)

(5) Blue (not used)

(6) Yellow (not used)

Not all CA-42 are identical, my guess is Nokia has many OEMs which uses their own coloured wire schemes. So unless your part number is identical to mine, the colour may not apply in your case.

I won't bother to post other images coz those can be found here: <http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/>

But i use a external HDD enclosure to power up my HDD and also to check if it worked after that.

Everything went as expected initially... but after F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 I waited for over 30 mins and nothing happened.

Here's a detailed write up of what I did and what I got on the screen...

On hyperterminal:

(ctrl +z)

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.156 msecs

(remove isolation and mount pcb)

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elasped Time 9.926 secs

F3 T3>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

(nothing happened after 30 mins!)

I power off the HDD and CA42, and used an external HDD enclosure to check my 7200.11, it showed up on the comp but appears empty. No drive, but if i looked under device manager, it shows up as ST31000 HDD. It is as if I have a new unformatted HDD with no partition.

I re-powered up the HDD and CA42 with RX, TX and GND connected betw them and used Aviko's instructions:

F3 T>F,,22

Drive Configuration restored to defaults

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

(this time it took less than 1 min max)

I power off the HDD and CA42 and used the external HDD enclosure to check. As far as I observe, all my data seems to be intact.

Celebration Dance! :w00t:

My heartfelt thanks to Gradius2 for starting this thread, Aviko for refining the hyperterminal instructions, and many others who shared their experiences in this thread.

Tomorrow, there's a IT Show 2009 in Singapore SUNTEC City Convention Center. I'm going and I'm sure you know what I'd be getting at the fair! :sneaky:

To those who are still struggling to get their 7200.11 up, hang in there brothers! Follow the instructions carefully and make sure you test your DIY RS232-to-TTL comms first.

When I tried using 5 volt from the power supply to power the rs-232 convertor, I also gotten nothing. I then used 2 'D' cell batteries to power the convertor and connecting all the negatives together to make it work.

I'll try this solution. I'll post the results. Thanks

No tienes un cable de Nokia a la mano?. Te digo porque yo lo hice con un DKU-5 y funcionó a la primera

Si no funciona lo de alimentar el convertidor a 3,3 voltios, compraré el cable. Creo que es la solución más sencilla, pero ya que tengo el circuito...

Gracias

Edited by tostator

MY DRIVE after After C>Q

gives:

Led 000000CE FAddr 0028E24b

and after Ctrl+z

LED 000000CE FAdr00280569

No command no spin down

Is it dead?

If i buy another one the same and put the new pcb on?

Your hdd and PCB are good.

LED CE error is because you do Ctrl+z very quick.

You power on the PCB and wait 20 seconds, after this, you put Ctrl+z, /1, etc

You can try it any some times. Normally this procedure works.