the spinup error and your hdd make noises every 5? seconds

when you power on your drive and you got this error in the terminal:

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008
Spin Error
Elapsed Time 53.959 secs
R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

My drive have Bad Head.

I have spoken to aviko.

I will RMA my drive now data recovery costs to much for me.

And i've learned now to make backups every day.

At my 1st try to remove the 0LBA the drive works fine but suddenly there was this f***ing error and

this noise every 5 seconds. This is so frustrating. Thanks a lot seagate, thanks a lot.

Hello to Everyone,

First I want to thank all those who share their investigations and results.

I built my inteface according to this schematic:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/download/ST3100...l%20english.pdf

It worked perfectly but ... the driver still refuses to be detected by BIOS.

The problem with my Seagate 7200.11 500GB HDD started about a month ago, sometimes, while using the computer a low click sound came from the hdd (almost unaudible) and it stopped working. As it was the OS computer the whole system just hunged in seconds. If I tried to press reset bios just didn't detect the hdd, I had to turn power off and on again in order to get the hdd to be detected.

Two days ago it just completely died, the hdd is no longer detected by bios.

I tried the BSY recovery method and everything went smooth but the hdd still behaves the same way.

I cannot understand what is going on, it seems to me clear that it is the BSY problem but I can't get rid of it. If I boot from the firmware update cd and once it is loaded I power up the hdd it detects it (after I hear the motor running), but after a couple of seconds it stops and obviously I cannot flash the new firmware.

I'm mad at me for not being able to recover it, any help would be very much welcomed.

Cheers.

Well - after 2 painful weeks, my data is back!

You don't know how happy I am....

After a stressful last 2 hours, where I thought I'd lost my data forever - I managed to recover the HDD.

As listed above, the last proceedure was taking far far too long. So I switched the PSU off (thus cutting power to the HDD).

Plugged it into my computer, and booted the sucker up.

BIOS detected the HDD, but was registering it as 0MB.

So I thought "Son of a b***h!" and panicked thinking I'd fraked the thing!

So out of desperation, I tried it again! (Using the Aviko method..which I'd just done). Only this time I used the extra set of instructions.

Everything went fine. Everything was as per normal.

I plugged it into the computer....still no go. Registered the drive as 0MB.

So I though "Frak it", and tried the 0LBA method. This went fine as well.

Plugged it into the HDD...but AARRRGHHHH!!! BIOS didn't even detect the drive this time.

Wonderful.

So I thought I'd try the Graduis method. But this didn't work and gave me LED errors when I'd reconnect the motorhead. By this stage I thought I'd really REALLY screwed my HDD.

I was now at my wits end. I'm not a religious man, far from it, I've never been to church. But I can tell you I put my hands together while sitting in my seat and prayed to the almighty God for mercy.

I then, in one last ditch attempt tried the Aviko method once more.

All went fine (like I'd seen before).

Plugged it into my computer. Went into BIOS. LOW AND BEHOLD, there she was!!!!

Quickly updated the firmware, and then waited...waited.....And there was the Windows XP loading screen!!!!

Never have I seen such a magnificent loading screen in all my life!!

I seriously put my face in my hands and began to sob.

And then quickly backed all my data up onto my new awaiting drive....

I still don't know about any almighty being...but I may have to make a trip somewhere this Sunday....

This could also be a message to say that Seagate are the devil. Woe any unfortunate soul who eat from their poisoned apple. They will never, I say NEVER, get a tiny SLIVER of my money - ever again (In fact, I work at an electronics store that sells various Seagate products - for which I shall never recommend to ANY customer)! I have spent THREE WEEKS trying to research and fix this problem using various cables. All of which have cost me time and money. Both of which could have been spent on my loved ones, and my assignments.

Shame on you Seagate. Shame on you for everyone's lost time, money and many hours spent worrying!

Edited by Shooman

Anyone has any idea why replacing the PCB doesn't work in this case? I purchased 4 x 1TB drives and only one had problems (not recognized anywhere). While I am waiting for the connector I ordered I thought about this second option (replacing the PCB) but it seems that it doesn't work. The "good" PCB is from a disk with exactly the same model number and firmware.

Edited by DannyEl

Anyone has any idea why replacing the PCB doesn't work in this case? I purchased 4 x 1TB drives and only one had problems (not recognized anywhere). While I am waiting for the connector I ordered I thought about this second option (replacing the PCB) but it seems that it doesn't work. The "good" PCB is from a disk with exactly the same model number and firmware.
It will not work. Each PCB has a SN and configuration parameters for each HDDA.

Another stupid question from me, sorry: what kind of wires (cables) should I use to make the connections?

By the way, is there anybody who did all this procedure successfully and lives around Seattle, Washington?

Edited by DannyEl

1. I live in Toronto, Canada. Did anyone in Toronto who unlocked the hard drive can sell me the tools?

2. I found this one in ebay. Did anyone try this one before? Thanks in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/RS232-Serial-Port-To-TT...%3A1|240%3A1318

I found this one in ebay. Did anyone try this one before?

I used the CA-42 cable that was recommended by another user that that recommened this seller on eBay. This is the one that I won: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=370128943335

I stripped the cable and connected it to a stripped audio cable (the old kind that goes from CD to sound card). I pulled the end off the audio cable to reveal just the bare metal ends. I put small pieces of electrical tape around the metal ends so that they wouldn't touch each other when plugged into the HDD pins.

Another stupid question from me, sorry: what kind of wires (cables) should I use to make the connections?

By the way, is there anybody who did all this procedure successfully and lives around Seattle, Washington?

I live in Portland, OR. Could try to recover your HDD for you by mail.

But I can't understand why changing my PCB with another of same hard disk but with different P/N and FW it can't work...

The PCB is the same model... i have only this bug in my mind... if the PCB switching don't work, maybe the G-list and the format need differents parameter... it's correct my idea?

Have differents P-List (primary list), sectors reallocation tables, etc

But if I switch PCB of a FW15 with my PCB FW81... it can work?

Edited by anxx

I did remember reading from earlier post, there were someone swaped the PCB from a "bad" drive into a working drive and did the firmware update on the "bad" PCB, and then swap it back to make the "bad' drive work again, but then they were complaining about some unusual noise the drive now makes.

Hi there,

Your instructions are brilliant!

I was just curious about this BSY error, as I'm not in the LB0 scenerio.

My drive is in the affected range (confirmed from Seagate website), but cannot be fixed by their tools as it's not detected in bios.

I was curious if the BSY error is related to the light whirl click (very quiet) periodic sound ?

But I can't understand why changing my PCB with another of same hard disk but with different P/N and FW it can't work...

The PCB is the same model... i have only this bug in my mind... if the PCB switching don't work, maybe the G-list and the format need differents parameter... it's correct my idea?

Have differents P-List (primary list), sectors reallocation tables, etc

But if I switch PCB of a FW15 with my PCB FW81... it can work?

I personally tried this and is not working. When I purchased the drive that has problems now, I got 4 of them. I tried to switch the PCB from another good one (same model, same firmware) and is not working. Actually the disc started to make some weird noises. pichi explained a couple of days ago that "Each PCB has a SN and configuration parameters for each HDDA." Maybe you are lucky, even if I don't think so. I wasn't...

Hi there,

Your instructions are brilliant!

I was just curious about this BSY error, as I'm not in the LB0 scenerio.

My drive is in the affected range (confirmed from Seagate website), but cannot be fixed by their tools as it's not detected in bios.

I was curious if the BSY error is related to the light whirl click (very quiet) periodic sound ?

I don't remember exactly if that the sound that it makes, but basically if you can feel the hard drive powering up and not being detected in the BIOS at all (my computer would just hang) then its probably the BSY error. My hard drive had the BSY error and I was able to fix it via the instructions provided on this forum. Thanks for nothing Seagate!

Hi all,

sorry for my poor english!

I want to tell my "disaster" :realmad:

My seagate ST3500320AS after 2 months goes to BSY state :wacko:

I have read the great tutorial on this thread.

I have build succesfully a TTL adapter and I have connected all things.

This is my report:

In Hyper Terminal the CTRL+Z didn't work and the prompt didn't appear because it was necessary to set the WINDOWS KEYS (File-->Properties-->) (Please write this in the tutorial!!).

Ok, all it works...the prompt appears and I have followed the first part of the tute.

All goes OK but...there is always a but.....after the /T command (in the G-List step), the prompt stop to work (no echo!)!

I have powered off and I have reconneted all things...and after 2000 CTRL+Z the prompt appears but I didn't see any echo :realmad: (I have proved many many many many many times)

Than I have proved to reconnect the HDD on my computer and this time the bios recognize the drive (but with 0MB capacity :( )

This is my error:

So I have decided to flash the drive with the seagate utility!!! :realmad::realmad:

After the flash, the bios always say me 0MB capacity.

So, I have reconneted the adapter and hyper-terminal but the HDD gives me this echo:

rst 0x20M

The curious thing is that this echo is in loop mode....so it's impossible to write anything in the hyper-terminal console!!

So, I have disconneted (another time) the PCB board...but nothing the rst 0x20M "flood" (loop) the hyper terminal console.

I have noted a thing, at the beginning there are 2 sec. (maybe less) before than the first rst "0x20M" appear, than I have pushed fast CTRL+Z and I have writed Z...so the motor goes off...but now it's very impossible to write any other commands!!

So my HDD is dead :angry:

Bye

Edited by Kova78