The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I connect TX, RX and GND from my CA-42 cable to the hdd.

Than i connect a SATA power cable to the hdd, turn on the power supply and connect the CA-42 to my laptop.

But everything i can see is his:

post-233152-1236091931_thumb.jpg

Whats wrong?

Than i connect a SATA power cable to the hdd, turn on the power supply and connect the CA-42 to my laptop.

Whats wrong?

You check your cable, join RXs with TXs and put correct baudrate: 38400, 8, N, 1, None

Whats wrong?

You check your cable, join RXs with TXs and put correct baudrate: 38400, 8, N, 1, None

If i swapp TX and RX nothing happens in the hyper terminal. The baudrate is correct.

If i swapp TX and RX nothing happens in the hyper terminal. The baudrate is correct.

I think that you have connected RX to GND or your cable is wrong.

You unconnect the hdd and try null-modem joining RX with TX for check your cable.

I think that you have connected RX to GND or your cable is wrong.

You unconnect the hdd and try null-modem joining RX with TX for check your cable.

I try a loopback test with RX and TX wires on the CA-42.

The test works. I can see the character in the terminal i typed on the keyboard

so the TX and RX i've found on the CA-42 are right.

[1234] [sata Data] [sata Power]

1 = empty

2 = GND

3 = TX

4 = RX

Nothing happens.

1 = empty

2 = GND

3 = RX

4 = TX

Garbage characters.

If i disconnect GND nothing happens too.

1 = empty

2 = GND

3 = RX

4 = TX

Garbage characters.

1.- Can you see if jumper is into 4 pins connector?

2.- You change baudrate, from 38400 to others (sometimes the baudrate is configured to 9600)

1 = empty

2 = GND

3 = RX

4 = TX

Garbage characters.

2.- You change baudrate, from 38400 to others (sometimes the baudrate is configured to 9600)

1. I dont understand what you mean :(

2. Yes i changed the baudrate to 9600 and i try other USB ports and i try to connect the GND to the GND from the SATA power cable and i try to slow down the FIFO-Puffer from the COM port and i try all that on another PC. Nothing works i only see these garbage characters.

I have no more ideas.

1 = empty

2 = GND

3 = RX

4 = TX

Garbage characters.

1. I dont understand what you mean :(

2. Yes i changed the baudrate to 9600 and i try other USB ports and i try to connect the GND to the GND from the SATA power cable and i try to slow down the FIFO-Puffer from the COM port and i try all that on another PC. Nothing works i only see these garbage characters.

I have no more ideas.

1. Have you removed "the jumper" from the connector?

You connect only GND and RX pins, power on the hdd and post the results.

Have a ST3500320AS which is exhibiting the BSY problem i.e. not showing up in BIOS. As I am in Canada I wanted to make sure that I have the required parts list correct. If I have a computer with a serial db9 port and already have a cable then I would need to order:

- 1 (one) adapter ($4)

http://alldav.com/index.php?main_page=prod...;products_id=11

or is one of these two items better than the above adapter

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...products_id=449

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories

Are there other parts required (have numerous jumpers and shunts already).

Edited by confused999

Which jumper?

I connect GND, RX, TX and a SATA power cable to the hdd.

Sometimes there is a jumper to configure 3GB/1.5GB in this connector.

What power supply do you use?

At least you need 2A@12V, 2A@5V.

Have a ST3500320AS which is exhibiting the BSY problem i.e. not showing up in BIOS. As I am in Canada I wanted to make sure that I have the required parts list correct. If I have a computer with a serial db9 port and already have a cable then I would need to order:

- 1 (one) adapter ($4)

or is one of these two items better than the above adapter

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...products_id=449

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories

Are there other parts required (have numerous jumpers and shunts already).

Better: - 1 (one) adapter ($4)

You can connect the +5V line to the floppy connector or to 3V battery

Because the others adapters use USB ports and drivers.

Edited by puntoMX

Okay - this is really starting to do my head in.

Some help would be appreciated.

I have this Ericsson Phone Cable here: http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-P-W/erics_t28_pinout.shtml

It's a RS232 Serial based data cable, running through a Serial to USB converter.

I have connected wire/pins to the TX and RX points. I have also connected a 3v battery pack to the DGND(-) and the VCC (+).

Checking the connection with a multimeter (one probe on the + line of the battery pack, and the other on either TX or RX) shows the TX and RX pins are running at 3v each. So the connections must be correct.

However - when testing it in Hyperterminal, with all the settings as specified in this board, I get nothing. I can't type any characters, and I can't perform any loop-back test because of this.

I've tried this on two laptops now.

Anyone have any ideas??

A 500 g is back to life .

But i have another one seagate 1 T and have problems to make to work

when the drive power on make a noise and after about 20 sec stop

F3 T/2

F3 2>Z

IT GIVES :

LED 000000CE FAdr00280569

the same gives and with pcb alone

When i gave the U

ERROR 1009 DETSEC0006008

SPIN ERROR

This is exactly what happened to me when I tried, then I used a level 3 spin down command instead:

F3 T>/3

F3 3>Z

with

F3 T>/3

F3 3>Z

again

something else to try?

Which jumper?

I connect GND, RX, TX and a SATA power cable to the hdd.

Sometimes there is a jumper to configure 3GB/1.5GB in this connector.

What power supply do you use?

At least you need 2A@12V, 2A@5V.

There's no jumper on this connector, only my cables.

For the HDD i use a SATA power connector from an Enermax Modu82+. This is the only power supply i have here with SATA power connectors.

I think the CA-42 cable uses the power from the USB port, 3.3V.

I think now this stupid chinese cable is the problem.

If nobody can help me i will wait for my RS232 to TTL converter.

If the converter doesn't work too i will buy a TTL-232R-3V3 USB for the last chance.

If this cable doesn't work too i will smash this f***** seagate hdd against a wall and RMA it.

I have this Ericsson Phone Cable here: http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-P-W/erics_t28_pinout.shtml

It's a RS232 Serial based data cable, running through a Serial to USB converter.

I have connected wire/pins to the TX and RX points. I have also connected a 3v battery pack to the DGND(-) and the VCC (+).

Checking the connection with a multimeter (one probe on the + line of the battery pack, and the other on either TX or RX) shows the TX and RX pins are running at 3v each. So the connections must be correct.

However - when testing it in Hyperterminal, with all the settings as specified in this board, I get nothing. I can't type any characters, and I can't perform any loop-back test because of this.

Anyone have any ideas??

Why do you use batterys on this cable? Doesn't the cable use the power from the USB port on your laptop?

I'm using a CA-42 cable without batterys and it will not work. See the posts below from me.

If your terminal is in non-echo mode you can't see any character your are typing on the keyboard.

You only see these characters in the loopback test.

The loopback test only works when you join TX and RX on your data cable. No connections to the hdd!

Edited by puntoMX

Anyone have any ideas??

Why do you use batterys on this cable? Doesn't the cable use the power from the USB port on your laptop?

I'm using a CA-42 cable without batterys and it will not work. See the posts below from me.

If your terminal is in non-echo mode you can't see any character your are typing on the keyboard.

You only see these characters in the loopback test.

The loopback test only works when you join TX and RX on your data cable. No connections to the hdd!

"It's a RS232 Serial based data cable, running through a Serial to USB converter. "

It's a serial cable. Not USB (The only USB portion is the Serial to USB converter - but this does not provide power for the old serial data cables)

And the loopback test is running w/ both RX and TX linked together...