The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi Shooter2142,

just disconnect power, wait, connect power again and CTRL-Z. Message LED: ... seems to come up if the drive is powered for a longer time.

Just unbricked my 500GB! Now having a cappucino, listening to my music and then flash to SD1A....

I used a CA42 cable (for Nokia). It was necessary to connect GND (the shield of the cable) to the PCB of the HD, next to TX in post #1 (I got only '->' sign). I skipped G-list erase (i4,1,22).

Good luck to Austria.... try it. You won't destroy the drive even if you would use regular RS232 signals (as I did...;-). But FOLLOW the commands PROPERLY.

Thanks Gradius!

cooper2009

Hello guys im totally frustraded...i have but a papercard in my hdd and the spin motor doesnt spin (so it is right).

Then when i press ctrl + Z in hyperterminal following shows up:

F3 T>

LED: 000000CC FAddr: 0025BF67

what i doing wrong??????

Hi Shooter2142,

just disconnect power, wait, connect power again and CTRL-Z. Message LED: ... seems to come up if the drive is powered for a longer time.

Just unbricked my 500GB! Now having a cappucino, listening to my music and then flash to SD1A....

I used a CA42 cable (for Nokia). It was necessary to connect GND (the shield of the cable) to the PCB of the HD, next to TX in post #1 (I got only '->' sign). I skipped G-list erase (i4,1,22).

Good luck to Austria.... try it. You won't destroy the drive even if you would use regular RS232 signals (as I did...;-). But FOLLOW the commands PROPERLY.

Thanks Gradius!

cooper2009

Hello guys im totally frustraded...i have but a papercard in my hdd and the spin motor doesnt spin (so it is right).

F3 T>

what i doing wrong??????

Thx for you answer but i didnt work...maybe i have something doing wrong with dku 5 cable???

Did i need a battery 5V???

Hi Shooter2142,

very strange. If you see correct characters, it should work.

I measured the voltage of signals with an oscilloscope, and my adapter puts out 4.4V peak-peak and about 3.0V RMS. No battery should be necessary.

Did you connect ground (the shield) to the PCB of the HD?

To repeat and confirm the steps:

1. Connect RS232. Open Hyperterminal. Ensure the COM-port used is set to 38400/8n1/no flow control. Set the same parameters for that COM port in Windows device manager. Switch off the FIFO.

I used a laptop for the operation and disconnected power to let the laptop run on battery. This way the ground level does not interfere with the ground of PC with the HD connected.

2. Connect power to HD.

3. You should see nothing, press CTRL-Z.

4. Continue with instructions.

cooper2009.

Hi Shooter2142,

Thanks Gradius!

cooper2009

F3 T>

what i doing wrong??????

Thx for you answer but i didnt work...maybe i have something doing wrong with dku 5 cable???

Did i need a battery 5V???

Hi there.

I have one of those Nokia cables.

Connected up both the TX, RX and GND lines from the cable, into the TX, RX and GND pins on the HDD - but got nothing on powering up the HDD.

I've seen some ppl on here powering the device using 3v. Where does one connect the 3v line to? (Positive and negative lines)

If you have a nokia usb cable you don't connect extra power.

Which cable do you have?

Have you reversed the TX & RX cables? TX goes into RX and RX into TX, it is not clear from your wording above.

This the cable I have here:

http://www.accessorygeeks.com/nokia-n90-data-suite.html

When you connect it to a Nokia phone, the computer comes up with a COM4 port in Hyperterminal. Disconnecting the phone results in Com4 disappearing.

What I had originally was RX, TX and GND from the cable running into RX, TX and GND respectively in the HDD.

Hi,

Read the steps and instructions carefully. UPPERCASE and lowercase results in different results. Here's an example for you (from my own successful fix)

F3 T>/2

F3 2>z

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.128 msecs

So in your case, you should be doing the /2 and Z to spin down the drive, then remove papercard and spin up and follow the rest of the instructions.

Good luck!!

F3 T>

what i doing wrong??????

Also something odd.

I check the cable while plugged into the computer using my multimeter, placing the probes on the GND and either RX or TX. I get nothing.

I plug the phone in, and do the same thing. Now I get readings of 3v on both the TX and RX. So it's obviously proper TX and RX connections happening... But I only get these readings while the phone is plugged in.

Man.....seagate and HP both suck. My drive on my Touchsmart pooched on friday. PC was hung in the AM, rebooted and no drive in the BIOS! So eventually I came to this post....I contacted seagate to get the data recovered and was told that the SN was not listed as one of the affected drives. After intellectually sparring with the creaton at seagate, he finally quasi-admitted that the OEM drives (sent to HP, Dell, etc..) were not listed/covered as they are sent blank (no firmware....supposedly) to them. I again advised that their "custom" firmware was based off of seagates PROPRIETARY code! and should therefore be covered....he basically said FU and contact HP. HP wants nothing to do with this....all they will do is RMA the drive....obviuosly I need the data.....

So my question after reading all of these posts, is.....can I just lob off one end of an rs232 cable, connect the tx/rx pins up and power the drive with the PSU sata connector? I have a ton of rs232 cables oxidizing in my basement.....

Secondly, I can go get another touchsmart at my local bestbuy with a 500GB drive...will changing the IO card, whether its same or new firmware, still get me a workable drive to grab the data from? 1299 is still cheaper than sending it out for data recovery and it can always be taken back :)

thanks in advance!

Edited by themainman

i got my ca-42 cable, and using Tera Term, got my 1.5 TB drive to fix itself using the m0 command. it took a lot longer than 30 seconds but eventually got through the low level format and reported success. but i'm not out of the woods yet.

the bios now reports the drive model, firmware SD1B, as a 1500 GB drive, and windows recognizes it in disk management as a healthy 1397.25 primary partition. but windows explorer reports that it needs to be formatted before accessing it. obviously i don't want to lose any data on there. this is an NTFS format drive created under Vista64, and now i'm trying to read it under a separate install of Vista32. anybody know how to proceed?

EDIT: it shows the filesystem as RAW under disk management in vista.

What you describe appears to be NOT connected to the "bricking" or de-bricking".

You just seem have a problem with your partition table/filesystem.

What I would do:

Check the drive partitioning with TESTDISK:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

if needed, fix it

Check disk with CHKDSK from a Vista OS:

http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget....1276029,00.html

and WITHOUT parameters.

if needed re-run it with /F and/or /R parameter

jaclaz

Hello

I successfully managed to unbrick one ES.2 1 Tb and one 7200.11 750 Gb, using all the stuff found on this thread. I had to try several times , that wasn't a 5 minutes oparation ...

I need to thank Gradius2 and aviko for their work (yes, both) and also my77stang for the nice summary he did at post 684.

It turned out that for me the working solution was to isolate BOTH motor and head connectors.

Allright, after reading through 46 pages of this, It seems that anyone who is getting my problem is rather arcane.

I'm getting this:

(Connections are good, Paper card under PCB disconnecting the bottom connector.)

F3 T>/2

F3 2> Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.154 msecs

(Paper card Removed)

F3 2> U

(Drive begins to emit a quiet Buzzing noise every 1.5 seconds. Seven Minutes later..)

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008
Spin Error
Elapsed Time 7 mins 27 secs
R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

The only response to this problem has been to clean the connectors, which I have done thoroughly. The problem persists.

Could I please get a reponse from Gradius or Aviko regarding this?

Edited by muskieratboi

Man.....seagate and HP both suck. My drive on my Touchsmart pooched on friday. PC was hung in the AM, rebooted and no drive in the BIOS! So eventually I came to this post....I contacted seagate to get the data recovered and was told that the SN was not listed as one of the affected drives. After intellectually sparring with the creaton at seagate, he finally quasi-admitted that the OEM drives (sent to HP, Dell, etc..) were not listed/covered as they are sent blank (no firmware....supposedly) to them. I again advised that their "custom" firmware was based off of seagates PROPRIETARY code! and should therefore be covered....he basically said FU and contact HP. HP wants nothing to do with this....all they will do is RMA the drive....obviuosly I need the data.....

So my question after reading all of these posts, is.....can I just lob off one end of an rs232 cable, connect the tx/rx pins up and power the drive with the PSU sata connector? I have a ton of rs232 cables oxidizing in my basement.....

Secondly, I can go get another touchsmart at my local bestbuy with a 500GB drive...will changing the IO card, whether its same or new firmware, still get me a workable drive to grab the data from? 1299 is still cheaper than sending it out for data recovery and it can always be taken back :)

thanks in advance!

Just the cable isn't going to work; it has to be one of the TTL to RS232 converter chips. I think changing the IO card was not recommended in one of the posts in the thread.

Yup....just the cable won't work... :(

I did however find that if you disconnect the board from the drive, leave the sata cable and power on, boot into dos with a floopy and use the flash utility from HP it will see the drive and try to flash it...it fails however and gives a timeout error and error on sping up/down....

bummer....btw the bios will see it and toss a smart error....dunno if anyone can take it any further....

Grrr - this is annoying.

The Nokia Data Suite recognises there's a CA-42 cable plugged in when the phone is connected. And shows it using Port 5. This also shows up under COM ports in the Windows Device Manager. However - when you unplug the phone, COM port 5 disappears. Which makes it hard when you need to do a test run in Hyperterminal.

WTH is going on here??

Grrr - this is annoying.

The Nokia Data Suite recognises there's a CA-42 cable plugged in when the phone is connected. And shows it using Port 5. This also shows up under COM ports in the Windows Device Manager. However - when you unplug the phone, COM port 5 disappears. Which makes it hard when you need to do a test run in Hyperterminal.

WTH is going on here??

Sounds like the com port chipset is in the phone....

Grrr - this is annoying.

WTH is going on here??

Sounds like the com port chipset is in the phone....

I don't know if that would be the case. As I've tried a number of different Nokia phones for testing purposes with the same results.