The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

First a BIG thanks for your instructions

I have 3 seagate 7200.11 two ST3500032AS and one ST31000340AS.

With the instruction in this perfect forum the two 500 are working again after sata lock

BUT the big one no .

It makes a knocking sound when starts soin and when press ctrl +z

gives

F3 T>

and no error like Faddr0024A051 like the others.

when i gave

F3 2>U

I take this:

Error 1009 DETSEC0006008

spinerror

Elapsed time 25.207

R/w status 2 R?W error 84150180

As a note all my drives lost after put vista in sleep mode !

well ive managed to get my drive to pick up in hyper terminal,run through all the steps but after inputting the last step (m0,......... etc) it just hangs at the console. with a blinking cursor and I cant type anything either.

Any ideas?

i got my ca-42 cable, and using Tera Term, got my 1.5 TB drive to fix itself using the m0 command. it took a lot longer than 30 seconds but eventually got through the low level format and reported success. but i'm not out of the woods yet.

the bios now reports the drive model, firmware SD1B, as a 1500 GB drive, and windows recognizes it in disk management as a healthy 1397.25 primary partition. but windows explorer reports that it needs to be formatted before accessing it. obviously i don't want to lose any data on there. this is an NTFS format drive created under Vista64, and now i'm trying to read it under a separate install of Vista32. anybody know how to proceed?

EDIT: it shows the filesystem as RAW under disk management in vista.

Edited by diddlyd

a big thanks to everybody here for their help,ive managed to bring my 500gb back to life:) Time to buy a backup drive and backup everything and look at getting this one RMA'd, my faith in Seagate HDD has well vanished:(

I have connected my seagate barracuda with one DCU 65 Cable (Sony Ericcson).

My PC didnt find the hardware (undefined usb) what i must do???

I didnt find any drivers, maybe i have it falls connected.

The cable has 1 red, 1 black, 1 white and 1 green cable which from them are tx and rx?!

THX for Help!!!

Are you sure the DCU65 have TX and RX lines? I don't think so.

The DCU60 have only D+ and D- and there are no differences between the DCU60 and DCU65 in addition to length and color.

http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhonesCables/son...60_pinout.shtml

You are right with DCU65 its not work...so i buy a DKU 5...i reported it on my last post.

I will try it tomorrow because i was to trunk right now xD

Could anybody tell me what's wrong?

I have a BSY error problem with my Seagate HDD.

I've done everything according to the instructions, but I only get obscure symbols in Terminal.

I've tried several HDDs (including some working 7200.11 drives), but I a mess of symbols on the screen or nothing at all.

I've tried the TX-RX connectors both ways and I am feeding the adapter 3,7V. My Terminal-settings are 38400 / 8 / N / 1 / None.

I used this kind of adapter:

http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00090/3561442.jpg

Terminal shows:

http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00607/3561364.jpg

Also be sure do not use any adapter to power the hard drive. I also had garbage characters when I used an adapter molex-sata. It's better use directly the sata power connector of the power supply.

The recommendation here is to use directly the sata power connector of the power supply. I have an older mother board that only has square molex power connectors. I powered my seagate drive by getting a power adapter (square female molex to sata power). Will I have problems using this adapter cable to power the drive while trying to communicate with the drive?

I just finally got my TTL-232R-3V3 CABLE today and was anxious to try it all out until I read this post.

Thank you in advance for any answers.

TV

Ctrl+z

Ctrl+v

Ctrl+z

Ctrl+\

Ctrl+z

The arrow is the echo of "Ctrl+z", but you must receive F3 T>

ok i did press these combinations after each other, without pressing enter between them because i am trying not to do anything by guessing unless clearly told to do so. but your solution as I understood it didnt really work, all i got is a bunch of strange characters on 1 line. I am sure you know the solution but maybe i am missing something, maybe i should press enter between each command? heres a picture to better understand.

another memeber told me to do a ctrl+R then ctrl+c then ctrl+z to fix it, but all i got is more strange characters...

I wish you can be as clear as possible in your description of the solution, your time is very appreciated.

Thank you

See your hyperterminal configuration.

If Ctrl+z at 38400, 8, N, 1, None doesn't work try it at 9600, 8, N, 1

Sometimes the baudrate change.

i used 9600, 8, N, 1,None and same result, just a line of strange characters. :wacko: this small mistake i did at the last step has fried my nerves since yesterday. I entered the sequence as you said but nothing happens. i want to note that the button of \ is also the button of |, there both on the same key. just wanted to mention that. this echo thing i expected it to go away when i restart hyperterminal, i thought it would start fresh. oh man i wish i just typed that last step instead of trying to be smart and paste it. :unsure:

if this proves to be hard to solve, can i just simple enter the last command and get done with this? i mean from what i understand, EchoInterfaceCmds just echos back the commands you send, so this doesnt really change anything and i can just proceed to the last step, Right?

Probably 9600 isn't the baudrate, I think you have to put 38400.

If you see the second image, you see arrows. The arrow is the response of Ctrl+z with null modem.

It is possible if:

1.- The hdd have echo at all baudrates.

2.- Your RX line are touching the TX line (some mobile schematics have this too, as MBUS on nokia).

3.- The hyperterminal has "echo" actived.

Watch your wires.

Edited by pichi

The recommendation here is to use directly the sata power connector of the power supply. I have an older mother board that only has square molex power connectors. I powered my seagate drive by getting a power adapter (square female molex to sata power). Will I have problems using this adapter cable to power the drive while trying to communicate with the drive?

I just finally got my TTL-232R-3V3 CABLE today and was anxious to try it all out until I read this post.

Thank you in advance for any answers.

TV

I have used this adapter with an external power adapter 2A@12V, 2A@5V

http://www.msfn.org/board/uploads//post-22...98480_thumb.jpg

The problem you can have is that the power supply could have low voltage (11V) and low current. Disconnect all devices from the power supply and connect only the hdd.

Hi pichi,

Thank you for the reply. I tried the procedure and I unbricked my drive. Great success!!! But my happiness only lasted for 1 computer reboot. My drive is bricked again. I was ready to flash it with the latest firmware and I'm back where I started.

Oh well, I will try it again. Practice makes perfect.

Has anyone here experienced their drive getting bricked again so quickly?

I didn't do the 0 LBA fix... but I know that at one point before my drive first got bricked, I could not access the files on it. I did a file/properties on the drive and it showed (if I remember correctly) 0 in size. I rebooted and everything was accessible and the drive worked problem free for quite some time.

Well, I'm about to give it another try.

TV

Edited by strat95

WOOOHOOOO!!!!! I'm excited because my second try worked and after a reboot my drive is still accessible. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed just in case.

I used a TTL-232R-3V3 cable which makes everything quite simple. I had to install drivers for the cable which I found here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm (see post#681 for instructions on the colour coding for this cable). Connect Orange, Yellow and Black as indicated in that post and ignore the Rx Tx callouts mentioned because as they are listed Orange should be Rx and Yellow is Tx.

The cable showed up as COM3.

I followed the instructions found in the very first post made by Gradius2 (thanks for this thread and for helping me get all my data back).

I did the BSY fix first, because I had already set up the drive with the pieces of paper under the PCB.

All went well and I then did the 0 LBA fix just in case.

All my data is there (all 900GB of music, movies, pictures, etc...).

Thanks so much to Gradius2, Aviko for their brilliance. Thanks to Alexx86 for the suggestion on the TTL-232R-3V3 cable and to AlexLilic for the instruction he gave for using this cable.

You guys are data saviours!!

Cheers

TV

Edited by strat95

And a successful repair from South Africa too!

I imported an RS232 to TTL adpater from China, bought a Torx-6 screwdriver and used CD-ROM audio cables:

rs232ttl.jpg

Connected it all up like this:

hddrepair.jpg

Then I did all the steps listed for the BSY error listed here (using PuTTY as my terminal program).

And the result:

hddprop.png

I now have an extra 500GB (to use for backups) and all my data back! I also upgraded my firmware just to be safe that it doesn't happen again.

It all worked the first time I tried and was much easier than I first thought it would be. The hardest part is getting a RS232-TTL adapter. Total cost for equipment: R150 (about $15).

Thank you very much!!

Hi there.

I have one of those Nokia cables.

Connected up both the TX, RX and GND lines from the cable, into the TX, RX and GND pins on the HDD - but got nothing on powering up the HDD.

I've seen some ppl on here powering the device using 3v. Where does one connect the 3v line to? (Positive and negative lines)

Hello guys im totally frustraded...i have but a papercard in my hdd and the spin motor doesnt spin (so it is right).

Then when i press ctrl + Z in hyperterminal following shows up:

F3 T>

LED: 000000CC FAddr: 0025BF67

LED: 000000CC FAddr: 0025BF67

what i doing wrong??????

Hi there.

I have one of those Nokia cables.

Connected up both the TX, RX and GND lines from the cable, into the TX, RX and GND pins on the HDD - but got nothing on powering up the HDD.

I've seen some ppl on here powering the device using 3v. Where does one connect the 3v line to? (Positive and negative lines)

If you have a nokia usb cable you don't connect extra power.

Which cable do you have?

Have you reversed the TX & RX cables? TX goes into RX and RX into TX, it is not clear from your wording above.