The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I have seagate ST3500620AS,Firmware:SD15,product of Thailand with BSY problem that my BIOS do not identify it. I used nokia CA-42 usb data cable,made in china with five color wire(orange,black,green,white and blue).I powered it with two AA size batteries and identified as ORANGE=+ve,BLACK=GND,GREEN=3.00V (connected with or without USB port,identified in COM21(shown in device manager>ports as Nokia CA-42USB COM21),WHITE=3.00V while connected only with USB port, as identified in COM21 and BLUE=0.10V while connected with USB port but 0.00 while not connected to USB port. However I got rough idea about these five color wire.To find out RX/TX I opened HYPER TERMINAL (my computer>local disk C>documents and settings>all users>start menu>programs>accessories>communications>hyper terminal) and used mr.dskbrk advice,posted as #277,page14 and found out as GREEN=RX,WHITE=TX and BLACK=GND.I set hyper terminal port settings in default,(bits/sec=2400,data bits:8,parity:none,stop bits:1 and flow control:hardware). While touched two wires between WHITE and GND, it was 3.1V but by random typing voltage slightly changed by up and down but surprisingly I could not see any sign/letter in my hyper terminal,it only a blinking hyphen(-).But turning on EchoTypedCharactersLocally (hyper terminal>file>properties>settings>ASCII Setup) I could see everything what I typing.

Is it necessary to turn on Echo Typed Characters Locally?(my question)

Connecting with my HDD(seagate ST3500620AS) I followed everything what mr.my77stang,post#683,page#35 and mr.aviko advices but I only got an arrow in my Hyper Terminal while typing ctrl+z.I checked everything (HDA connector/PCB, ground, data cable,Hyper Terminal port settings) hundred times but I did not get any prompt about F3 T>.

No idea what I did wrong.

Oooog. I've read (I think) all of the pages, and I haven't found my problem.

My drive is a Seagate 1tb ST31000340AS, I don't know what the firmware is. I bought it in September or October.

It's BSY, and bricked, for about a week now.

I hooked up my RS232 to TTL, disconnected the drive's PCB, powered up the drive with a SATA power cable, hooked up two D cells for 3 volts to the converter, attached the ground wire. Hyperterminal talked to the drive fine. I spun the drive down, reconnected the PCB and typed:

F3 2>U

and the drive spun back up, so far so good. Here's what happens next:

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 7.093 secs

F3 2> (I type /1 and enter)

F3 1> (I type N1 and enter)

Unknown Diag Cmd Failure 12CC4

F3 1>

I've tried several times, powering down and starting from scratch. I tried going ahead and typing in the

F3 1>/

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

set of commands but the drive never came back online (to Hyperterminal) after that, and when I tried to use it in the PC it was still unrecognized by the BIOS.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ps. thanks to all of you who've done so much work and helped so many people, it's appreciated.

Hi there,

i found a data-cable from a Siemens S65 handy.

Do you think this will work?

3302822783_e25690ab41_m.jpg

Or should i buy one of these inkl. a USB to RS232 cable:

http://cgi.ebay.de/RS232-auf-Seriell-Com-P...A1%7C240%3A1318

I think the Siemens S65 data cable won't work, because it hasn't adapter board, only wires.

Normally S65 cable is DCA-540 (it use D+ and D-, not RX and TX):

http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhonesCables/sie...le_pinout.shtml

I hooked up my RS232 to TTL, disconnected the drive's PCB, powered up the drive with a SATA power cable, hooked up two D cells for 3 volts to the converter, attached the ground wire. Hyperterminal talked to the drive fine. I spun the drive down, reconnected the PCB and typed:

F3 2>U

and the drive spun back up, so far so good. Here's what happens next:

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 7.093 secs

F3 2> (I type /1 and enter)

F3 1> (I type N1 and enter)

Unknown Diag Cmd Failure 12CC4

F3 1>

I've tried several times, powering down and starting from scratch. I tried going ahead and typing in the

You're probably doing wrong this step:

F3 2>Z (enter)

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs (the time will vary here)
F3 2>

Now you need to re-connect PCB HDA to HDD, without turn off anything !

and only then continue to:

F3 2>U (enter)

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 7.093 secs
F3 2>

F3 2>/1 (enter)

F3 1>N1 (enter)

Steps.

Gradius

Hi, I got it working!

Hardest part for me, by far, was getting the rx and tx wires connected to the PCB jumpers (1 none) (2 none) (3 rx) (4 tx). Too much temperate can f*** the pcb i gues, so i didn't wanna solder it.

I did it with a wires+connector I found in one of the networking cards, with a little knife job it mounted in ok.

Second hardest was getting the mini torx 6 screwdriver (5 euros). It's not sold everywhere, but not very rare eighter.

Third hardest was installing the CA-42 cable to vista (5 euros too), luckily it got driver mici-cd with it so it was easy.

Reglar piece of paper folded 1 time did the insulation job fine in the upper connector.

What I didn't do:

1) GND wire is not needed, i got same PSU in use in usb and hd-power

2) Tx and Rx wires are easy to spot in usb cable, just connect wires until typing comes 'thru' in hyperterminal (do not use local echo, echo must come from the wires). Then just guess the wires, if the prompt from the PCB is not achieved, switch the two wires (rx-tx). No need to open up plastics and stuff.

What was important:

3) I didn't take the power cable off for 10 sec before the last and the most important m0,etc... command at 1st. Mistake. It took 70 min and i got no response. I tought my drive was f***ed as Gradius puts it in his #1 article .

But no. I just re did it WITH poweroff before the last command, success.

I thank you all contributors!

You're probably doing wrong this step:

CODE

F3 2>Z (enter)

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs (the time will vary here)

F3 2>

Now you need to re-connect PCB HDA to HDD, without turn off anything !

and only then continue to:

CODE

F3 2>U (enter)

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 7.093 secs

F3 2>

F3 2>/1 (enter)

F3 1>N1 (enter)

Steps.

Gradius

Oh, I wish that were the case, but no. I used the method of unscrewing only several of the PCB screws and putting a card in place between the contacts and the PCB, and then I pull the card after spinning down with

F3 2>Z (enter)

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs
F3 2>

and when the card is out, then I put the screws back in place to make sure I have good contact between the PCB and the headers. I actually use two cards - one for the motor traces and one for the header that is hidden under the circuit board entirely. And I've tried doing the card(s) standoff all the ways - motor only, heads only, both together - always the same result. And indeed, I don't power off either the RS232-to-TTL (3 volts with two D cells) or the drive itself (powered by a SATA power cable) while I'm reconnecting.

After the spinup, done with the "U" command at the "F3 2>" prompt, everything is as I said before.

The other command set that came up no good was trying to list all the commands available to the drive. I don't remember where I saw that in this topic, but it was something like "/Q" from the "F3 T>" prompt. Or maybe "/C", I don't remember. Anyway, I DID do it as the post said, and I got the same "Unknown Diag Cmd Failure 12CC4" response.

In case you're thinking it could be shaky contacts that I'm jiggling when doing the PCB re-attach, I'm using jumpers going from the HDD pins to the pins on the RS232-TTL converter, and they're solidly connected. Also I've tried it about 6 times with always the same result.

Thanks for the idea, I'll try again when I get home in a few hours....but...any other ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Hey guys!

Ive started on the road to recovering my hdd today, I found an old CA-42 cable at work but im having a hard time getting any response out of hyperterminal. It is an original Nokia data cable and on the PCB there are no descriptions next to the solder points. Ive tryed to hunt down a diagram for the pcb but no luck...so i have no idea which pin goes where.

What ways can I tell if I have found the GND and RX and TX wires like i need?

Many thanks!

Hey guys!

Ive started on the road to recovering my hdd today, I found an old CA-42 cable at work but im having a hard time getting any response out of hyperterminal. It is an original Nokia data cable and on the PCB there are no descriptions next to the solder points. Ive tryed to hunt down a diagram for the pcb but no luck...so i have no idea which pin goes where.

What ways can I tell if I have found the GND and RX and TX wires like i need?

Many thanks!

Do you have multimeter?

Can you see integrated circuit's number?

The other command set that came up no good was trying to list all the commands available to the drive. I don't remember where I saw that in this topic, but it was something like "/Q" from the "F3 T>" prompt. Or maybe "/C", I don't remember. Anyway, I DID do it as the post said, and I got the same "Unknown Diag Cmd Failure 12CC4" response.

In case you're thinking it could be shaky contacts that I'm jiggling when doing the PCB re-attach, I'm using jumpers going from the HDD pins to the pins on the RS232-TTL converter, and they're solidly connected. Also I've tried it about 6 times with always the same result.

Thanks for the idea, I'll try again when I get home in a few hours....but...any other ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

When you put the HDA back and does Spin UP cmd, it really goes up? Can you confirm this?

Gradius

Thanks,

Chris

When you put the HDA back and does Spin UP cmd, it really goes up? Can you confirm this?

Gradius

Yep, I've listened and put my hand on it when it's spinning up. It takes a few seconds spinning up, then there are those couple of quiet clunks (when the heads engage I believe) and then there's the

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 9.046 secs
F3 2>

message in Hyperterminal. It usually takes about 9 seconds on my drive for spin up to complete.

Chris

An update:

A PM brought to mind the idea of - is my RS232 to TTL getting enough power at 3 volts? Well, it's the SchmartBoard module "Populated RS-232 SchmartModule" which says it wants 5 volts to run, but seems to be communicating fine with the HDD at 3 volts. Okay, but I should try 5 volts, right? Tried that too, and got the same "Unknown Diag Cmd Failure 12CC4" when I tried the "N1" command.

Edited by capulet

Hi

I have ST3500320NS from defective seagate series which is recognized by bios as ST_M13FQBL. I know about this series problems with CC and BSY errors, but in this case i cannot comunicate with pcb with and without installed on hdd. Im using CA-42 nokia cable. Termianal and cable working properly with older seagate discs. Is there any chance to bring it back to live.

Thanks for any suggestions