The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi there,

i'm from germany and my ST3320613AS have the 0 LBA error.

I try to fix the problem with a firmware upgrade, actually SD11, but it doesn't work.

There is an error: firmware doesn't match. I used this file from the seagate support page: Brinks-1D2H-SD2B.iso

I wrote an email to the seagate support but no answer and now we've got weekend = no support.

This is my system hdd with important files so i read this thread here. Yes i read all 41 pages o0

But my english isn't good enough to understand everything.

Is there a chance that anybody can translate this guide in german?

greetings

Hi. Another "lucky"seagate owner here.

My hard drive have BSY error. I've been trying to connect to drive using homemade converter. When i connect to terminal i got series of unreadable characters , you can see that in screenshot.

Any ideas what's wrong? I tested my converter using loopback test and it works fine.

I used this schematic. http://sodoityourself.com/max232-serial-level-converter/

post-232330-1235221398_thumb.jpg

My hard drive have BSY error. I've been trying to connect to drive using homemade converter. When i connect to terminal i got series of unreadable characters , you can see that in screenshot.

Any ideas what's wrong? I tested my converter using loopback test and it works fine.

I used this schematic. http://sodoityourself.com/max232-serial-level-converter/

post-232330-1235221398_thumb.jpg

:hello:

First, try to inverts the wires Tx and Rx. Also check that ground TTL is well connected.

Did you trying connect GND wire to hard disc ?

77_1233617773.jpg

Edited by mastertab2

Thanks, that was the problem. :thumbup

Although now i have bigger problem. About hour after unbricking hdd, it started clicking and died. :realmad:

should we do this? i didnt see this info any message in this topic. and my setup is ready but i havent tried anything. wating ur reply.

Although now i have bigger problem. About hour after unbricking hdd, it started clicking and died. :realmad:

should we do this? i didnt see this info any message in this topic. and my setup is ready but i havent tried anything. wating ur reply.

I did my GND using a 3V cell battery.

Well i don't think that happened because of fix, since most who tried succeeded without problems.

It's more likely consequence of connecting/disconnecting sata power dozens of times, while trying to hook-up my setup..

Hi, I got says 500gb st3500320AS firmware SD15 (Thailand).

Date code 08382 bought July -07. It got bricked with BSY error (i guess) in the end of january.

I got ca-42 cable (not original, this says ca-42 WT048000317) , it's recognized ok by vista. Device manager "PORTS" displays "Prolific usb-to-serial comm port (com6)", I set it to recommended 38400, 8, None, 1, None.

I start Hyperterminal and set it to COM6 and 38400, 8, None, 1, None.

The problem: When i connect the green and red wire, rx and tx as i recon, it SOMETIMES return the typing ok, many times not at all or many chars are missing.

When i connect the blue (gnd i guess) with green, my typing will produce garbage letters, but again often nothing comes out. If I don't type at all, no garbage is produced

on screen.

FAULTY ca-42 produces this erratic behaviour?

Because of this I don't dare to begin the unbricking process, it would seem typing those commands and getting the feedback from the brick wouldn't be reliable, because one should expect this rx-tx binding (loop) should produce flawless results on hyperterminal screen. Any ideas what's wrong and how to fix it?

The Pin order i concluded from the following, i didn't want to open the cable USB case.

green - blue 1.15volts

red - blue 1.0v

blue - black 4.1v

white - no action what so ever

other wires connected (gree - red eg.) 0volts

I've already spend hours examining this problem, then I wonder why the hell I'm doing this crap, isn't this something seagate should fix ASAP.

It's been 1½ months now, after 2 messages they produce these typical meaningless corporate jargon replies without any solutions. Some heads should fall there quite literary.

I'd like to get foremost these questions answered:

To where and how do I mail this piece of hd to get it back working?

How fast SEAGATE will unbrick it?

How nothing it's gonna cost me?

Just used Gradius' BSY fix to unbrick my 1.0TB Barracuda, and it worked like a charm (once I got past figuring out how to solder...).

That aside, I used a slightly different setup than his, using this adapter:

http://alldav.com/index.php?main_page=prod...;products_id=21

along with a usb-> usbmini data cable.

Just soldered the two jumpers onto TX and RX, ran them to the HD (it took a bit to install the usb serial drivers, but vista's driver search *finally* did its job correctly and it worked just fine).

Ran through the rest of the guide and voila! Hard drive back to pre-BSY state. Not that I really trust that drive anymore, and have replaced my Seagates with WD Caviar Black 1TB drives.

Thank you all so much for the info you've provided on these forums, it saved my data and my money in the process :)

-K

Hello, I finally found a DKU-5 cable from craigslist, I got it from this dude for $10.

I installed the DKU-5 drivers from the CD and then

I connected the DKU-5 to my usb port and my computer detected the new hardware and proceeded to install the drivers.

I then checked hyperterminal to see what com port was added (com1 was there before) and I saw that com3 was added when I plug in DKU-5 cable.

Stripping the DKU-5 cable It comes with 6 wires.

outside exposed wire (unused), then inside wrapped in silver foil are red (TTL +), black (TTL -), yellow (unused), blue (rx) and white (tx).

(using the DKU-5 pinouts from http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/U...RM9_Linkstation I used a continuity tester to determine which color wire is which on the pins on the phone plug end)

I connected the red and black to 2 AA batteries and shorted the blue and white wire and then I connected DKU-5 to the usb port. I then started hyperterminal connected to com3 and started typing on the keyboard. I saw that what I type in was showing on the screen. I then disconnected blue and white and typed something just to check, and viola no text shows up on hyperterminal.

A friend of mine gave me his spare CD/DVD drive audio cables and I removed the plastic casing on the end to extract the small crimped female jumper metal thingy which is already connected to a wire which would be perfect for connecting to the rx/tx pins of the hard drive.

Now I am stuck because I cant find any torx screw driver size 6. sigh so close.

Good news ! I successfully fixed my seagate barracuda ST3500320AS 500 GB ! my bios can now see it and I have successfully backed up all my data into DVDs. Thanks to everyone here. I followed Gradius2's instructions minus the optional Glist commands and the power down and power up. I actually forgot to do the power up and down instruction because I got too excited typing the commands, I went oh no I forgot that step but somehow it still worked !

btw I got my torx T6 screwdriver from my office mate, he was nice enough to lend it to me :)

anyways if anybody needs any help in fixing their seagate drive, and you are in the lower mainland vancouver, I can probably fix it for you (I dont have a torx T6 screw driver though so you need lend me one of those).

now a quick question. should I update the firmware ? I heard that some people even after updating their firmware that they get the BSY error still ? I am worried that if I update and I get the BSY error I wont be able to fix the hard drive anymore ?

maybe I should leave it as is so that I can fix it again if it BSY error again

im sooo happy, bros. it worked fine. and i have back my datas. thanks a million to all guys who writes in this topic especially Gradius2 and Aviko. thanksssssss :thumbup:w00t::D:lol: :lol: :lol:

i use dku-5 cable which is fake of the Nokia's orginal cable. (not plastic cased head, rubber cased head)

same of the below

dku5_usb.jpg

THANKS AGAIN VERRRY MUCH :thumbup

Edited by jetates

I have a 1.5 TB seagate drive that is giving me 0GB capacity after a random reboot. it shows the following in drivedetect:

Model: ST31500341AS, Serial: 9VS09SRT, Firmware: ZZ7L

the firmware version seems whacked (it was SD17 before the problem popped up). i can't flash using the firmware cd i downloaded from seagate, it says no match found, even though the model number matches what it detects. i was assuming it didn't like the firmware version ZZ7L.

my question is to people with the 0LBA problem, am I going to be able to fix my drive myself using this technique? I want to buy a CA-42 cable and use the command to quick format the drive, then update to the latest firmware and be done with these problems, but i haven't heard anyone else mention having a wild firmware version detected like i do, so I'm wondering if my problem is something worse.

i made a bit of progress on this issue. i found (by ctrl-c out of batch job and using list.exe) that the command used by the batch file in the bootable firmware cd used:

sf -m BRINKS -f -s -x -b -v -a 10 -h 8hcfgsd1.txs

and this would get rejected as no matching drive found, im guessing based on my wild firmware version. then i found out that you could skip the .txs file, which i think is the part doing the check, and use the specific firmware .lod file, by using the following:

sf -m BRINKS -f 8HBXR1B.LOD -s -x -b -v -a 10

(8HBXR1B.LOD is the name of the actual firmware image on the boot disc for my drive) and that succesfully flashed my drive to SD1B. Now im back to being stuck with 0GB capacity, so i guess i'll try the cable fix described in this thread next.

*** WARNING ***: the above workaround will not check for compatibility, and try to flash all drives connected to the system, so MAKE SURE your drive is a match for the firmware and no other drives are attached!