The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

When new firmware SD1A fails, you will be at point when rat race started.

Aviko,

Ok, I'm making progress but I think I might have still one more issue. The Cable.

Now the lights come on to the rs232ttl board since I hooked the third cable up to the ground. This did not happen before.

When hook the rs232ttl to the serial port, the green tx light goes out.

When I also hook the rs232ttl board up to the null modem cable I have, the light goes out.

It still does not talk to the PCB.

I did not hook up the main power supply from the computer yet as I wanted to make sure it would at least talk to the PCB. Any ideas?

EDIT I also hooked this up to another 500 gig drive and still does not talk to the drive via terminal.

heh, so change tx with rx. yellow is TX from adapter so need to be connected to RX whis is pin1, white ir RX to adapter so needs to be connected to pin 2 , then pin 3 is gnd. if it will not work i think i am I-D-I-O-T or you are doing something wrong.

Maybe you have any Seagate drive older that 7200.11 ?

Edited by puntoMX

heh, so change tx with rx. yellow is TX from adapter so need to be connected to RX whis is pin1, white ir RX to adapter so needs to be connected to pin 2 , then pin 3 is gnd. if it will not work i think i am I-D-I-O-T or you are doing something wrong.

Nope, don't think your an id***. Just trying to narrow down where the fault is at my end. Your helping out big time :thumbup but the error is at this end since I get the same problem with both the good drive (500 gig) and the bad drive, the 1TB PCB.

Ok so I switched the wires to the pins on the drive and now none of the lights come on. I'm at a loss and trying to review all the steps again and again.

Nope, don't think your an id***. Just trying to narrow down where the fault is at my end. Your helping out big time :thumbup but the error is at this end since I get the same problem with both the good drive (500 gig) and the bad drive, the 1TB PCB.

Ok so I switched the wires to the pins on the drive and now none of the lights come on. I'm at a loss and trying to review all the steps again and again.

what is model and fw of that 1tb?

Edited by aviko

what is model and fw of that 1tb?

It's a ST31000340AS

Here is a photo of the drive. I'm also trying to do this on another computer now just to see if that makes a differance.

seagatedead.jpg

Try this. Mount pcb back on drive. Just as in normal work. After power up drive you should got something on terminal (CC) then you will know that everything is connected properly.

I have to go. Maybe my friend will guide you...

DUDE, hooked it back up to the HDA, It's coming back to life now with the power hooked up from the power supply from the computer!!!

I finally got it to say

F3 T>

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051

I will be reviewing the older posts to figure out what to do from here.

THANK YOU, YOU ROCK!!!

And I know there are others that have to be having this same problem so I think this will help since this was a long part of several pages of this topic.

If I can get my data back, it will save my life!!!

DUDE, hooked it back up to the HDA, It's coming back to life now with the power hooked up from the power supply from the computer!!!

I finally got it to say

F3 T>

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051

I will be reviewing the older posts to figure out what to do from here.

THANK YOU, YOU ROCK!!!

And I know there are others that have to be having this same problem so I think this will help since this was a long part of several pages of this topic.

If I can get my data back, it will save my life!!!

You have BSY and LBA0 problems. First: You need unmount your PCB with torx 6 screwdriver to repair BSY problem.

SUCCESS, YES IT WORKS!!!!!!!

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY

Thanks you Aviko for helping me out!!!!!

You just saved my life!!! Seriously!!! I am a freelance videographer on a tight budget and this drive had all of my best raw storm chasing footage from 2008 on it that I thought was lost forever.

I was in the middle of backing everything up and building a raid setup to house all the files when this thing crashed.

So thank you AVIKO for taking the ball on this and holding my hand to get this to work. And thank you to Gradius2 for starting this topic in the first place. You all get some major credit for helping everyone out to put this thing together.

So, for future readers here is what happened to me and!! what I did to fix it thanks to the help from this forum.

If you get the ARROW, you need to follow AVIKO's advice and add in the second ground.

I used an older laptop that we had in storage that had an RS232 port and took the face plate off the RS232 TTL board and plugged it right into the port on the back of the computer.

If you still can't get the board to talk to you in hyper terminal, hook up the board to the power supply in the computer and the 3v power supply on the RS232 TTL board and then start hyper terminal You should get the real text on the screen that Aviko and the rest are talking about.

NOTE, when I hooked this up to the power supply in my computer, I pulled the SATA and power cables off of all the other drives so I did not risk hurting any more data when I tried this.

I'm back up and running and copying all the data over to a 1tb western digital USB drive.

THANK YOU GUYS!!!!! :thumbup:whistle:

Edited by WeatherPaparazzi

connect wire from pin 3 in terminal socket to gnd of rs232ttl board. next time read carefully what i suggest. I'm wonder when Gradius will fix his tutorial and add this 3rd wire. come on guys this is so boring explaining it all time. noone listens if its not on 1st post

I'm getting the same arrow -> and would like a bit of confirmation if possible, please.

Where you say 'pin 3 in terminal socket' - do you mean pin 3 on the seagate PCB?

connect wire from pin 3 in terminal socket to gnd of rs232ttl board. next time read carefully what i suggest. I'm wonder when Gradius will fix his tutorial and add this 3rd wire. come on guys this is so boring explaining it all time. noone listens if its not on 1st post

I'm getting the same arrow -> and would like a bit of confirmation if possible, please.

Where you say 'pin 3 in terminal socket' - do you mean pin 3 on the seagate PCB?

Pin 3 on the PCB needs to be grounded. I just used the ground from the RS232 TTL power source (3.3v) and made a third jumper wire to go to the third pin on the PCB.

Then per Aviko, I then with the power supply off to the computer plugged in the power from the PS to the HDA with PCB attached like normal but no SATA cable and turned the power on to the computer PS.

Then I put the battery to the 3.3v into the holder to power the RS232 TTL with everything hooked up to my computer serial port and hit connect in hyper termial.

I went from the farking arrow to the actual text.

Once I did that, I knew I had the right setup and everything was talking.

Then turned off hyper terminal, turned off the computer PS (CPS) and pulled out the battery from the TTL board.

THEN I removed the PCB and put thick paper under BOTH the contacts and then replaced most of the screws except for the one that goes to the motor and the PCB board to HDA.

Then I restarted the CPS and then put the battery back in and restarted hyper terminal and then followed the instructions to fix the BSY HDA problems.

Then I felt whole again because this saved my arse big time!

HELP ~~~

I disconnect PCB board from HDA

and

F3 T>/2 (enter)

F3 2>z (enter)

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67

and not response

any idea ?

help ~~~

HELP ~~~

I disconnect PCB board from HDA

and

F3 T>/2 (enter)

F3 2>z (enter)

and not response

any idea ?

help ~~~

ehhhh try Z not z and wear glasses

maxjix I had the same problem as you mine was happening because I was typing the commands in wrong.

hi guys i might try this, as seagate still not getting back to me.

I cant see my HDD in windows or bios and the victoria prog that fatlip suggested worked first but now avg says its a trojan so i didnt even get to try it with my affected HDD.

I have a Mator diamondmax22 500gb STM3500320AS and aviko assures me that this technique here for the seagate will work for me also. as they're both the same drives. i cant see my HDD in windows or bios.

where can I get the parts I need in the UK. Any british people here who have done this with success post back here?

thanks

Pin 3 on the PCB needs to be grounded. I just used the ground from the RS232 TTL power source (3.3v) and made a third jumper wire to go to the third pin on the PCB.

Then per Aviko, I then with the power supply off to the computer plugged in the power from the PS to the HDA with PCB attached like normal but no SATA cable and turned the power on to the computer PS.

Then I put the battery to the 3.3v into the holder to power the RS232 TTL with everything hooked up to my computer serial port and hit connect in hyper termial.

I went from the farking arrow to the actual text.

Once I did that, I knew I had the right setup and everything was talking.

Then turned off hyper terminal, turned off the computer PS (CPS) and pulled out the battery from the TTL board.

THEN I removed the PCB and put thick paper under BOTH the contacts and then replaced most of the screws except for the one that goes to the motor and the PCB board to HDA.

Then I restarted the CPS and then put the battery back in and restarted hyper terminal and then followed the instructions to fix the BSY HDA problems.

Then I felt whole again because this saved my arse big time!

I tried this...

setup.jpg

and am still getting that same bloody arrow. Zero response from the terminal. This is the 2nd RS232-TTL adaptor I have tried now.

I have just found out that the owner of the drive tried to update the firmware. Apparently the update found the drive (LBA 0) and continued with the update - the firmware I get back from the diagnostics is: SD1A. Is the drive now unrecovable - and how come the firmware update went through anyway, without apparently fixing the drive?

Edited by basicguy