The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Can anyone provide me with the following info about the Nokia 3210 cable:

1. The NKI 3210 cable has 4 pins - anyone know which is RX/TX?

2. Anyone know where I can get the drivers for this cable (if they are, in fact required)?

Thanks in advance.

http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-Nokia/nok...10_pinout.shtml

Perhaps I'm being an fool but I can't seem to see how this applies to the cable I have. It's has a DB9 connector on one end and the following on the other:

nokia3210.jpg

Anyone also know what the M - F switch does?

Aviko, will a Smart Full Scan "regenerate" the G-List ? I know that my ISO is lost, but from what I understand the drive won't mark those sectors as bad until I try to write on them, right ?

Aviko, it seems you didn't see this part of my post ... Do you have an advice for me about that point ? (I erased the G-List but had Bad Sectors, and I want to mark them again)

Thank you!

First I have removed my slightly nasty post I made a few days back about aviko. I apologize.

It did look like he was provoking a flamewar, but after being away for a few days, I have returned to see all the helpful posts he has made.

Sorry Aviko! (PS:where were you 2 months ago when this all started? :P )

First I have removed my slightly nasty post I made a few days back about aviko. I apologize.

It did look like he was provoking a flamewar, but after being away for a few days, I have returned to see all the helpful posts he has made.

Sorry Aviko! (PS:where were you 2 months ago when this all started? :P )

2 months ago I had a lot work I havent time for anything else.

(Edit due to violation of the arrangements in the contract of employment)

Edited by aviko

Drive is busy example, not solution: drive ST3500320AS SD15

remove 3 screws nearest heads connector, motor connected, put something between pcb and hda to lift pcb and prevent contact.

power on, wait until drive stops motor, if you dont wait at this moment you got 000000CE error after next command

(ctrl+z)

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.146 msecs

remove isolation and mount pcb as normal

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 6.864 secs

this part is not necessary, just checking is everything ok, use when first try fails (F712 work only on 500g 7200.11 with firmware SD15, when you updated f/w just skip this part

F3 2>/

F3 T>F712

Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 00 00

Byte:0712: Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 0 <- configuration not loaded from surface

F3 T>F,,22

Drive Configuration restored to defaults.

F3 T>F712

Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 08 00

Byte:0712: Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 1 <- done

F3 T3>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

F3 T>

(finished, power off, connect disk to pc and check your data)

when, finally, my HD will communicate with HyTerm I think I will follow the instruction above... but is all that sequence does with something between pcb and hda?

Overlooked this step, I thought it was obvious. You need to remove isolation before spin up. (U command)

Edited by aviko

I still get the Arrow Yes, a Arrow and I have pictures and screen caps.

I purchased 2 different RS232 TTL boards with the second being from the company in first post of this topic.

I can't get the terminal to talk to the hard drive. I also tried a second seagate drive that has the same firmware (SD15) and still nothing.

NOTE, I do not have the RS232 TTL setup hooked up via cable. This is connected straight to the back of the laptop using Hyper Terminal. I tried it with a Null Modem Cable and could not get anything ether.

Here is the whole setup powered by the two AA.

rs232ttlsetup.jpg

Here is a close up of the RS232TTL that I bought.

rs232ttl.jpg

Here is the pins and cables hooked up to the PCB

rs232ttlboard.jpg

Here is a photo of the drive label

seagatedead.jpg

And here is the Farking Arrow on the screen. Arrow, Not > but ARROW. Sorry getting p***ed off that I can't get any further then this step of the process.

terminalfrost.jpg

I have a ton of video stuff for work on this drive and I was in the middle of backing it up when it crashed into BSY from what I can tell.

HELP, at my wits end here.

I still get the Arrow Yes, a Arrow and I have pictures and screen caps.

I purchased 2 different RS232 TTL boards with the second being from the company in first post of this topic.

I can't get the terminal to talk to the hard drive. I also tried a second seagate drive that has the same firmware (SD15) and still nothing.

NOTE, I do not have the RS232 TTL setup hooked up via cable. This is connected straight to the back of the laptop using Hyper Terminal. I tried it with a Null Modem Cable and could not get anything ether.

Here is the whole setup powered by the two AA.

rs232ttlsetup.jpg

Here is a close up of the RS232TTL that I bought.

rs232ttl.jpg

Here is the pins and cables hooked up to the PCB

rs232ttlboard.jpg

And here is the Farking Arrow on the screen. Arrow, Not > but ARROW. Sorry getting p***ed off that I can't get any further then this step of the process.

terminalfrost.jpg

I have a ton of video stuff for work on this drive and I was in the middle of backing it up when it crashed into BSY from what I can tell.

HELP, at my wits end here.

connect wire from pin 3 in terminal socket to gnd of rs232ttl board. next time read carefully what i suggest. I'm wonder when Gradius will fix his tutorial and add this 3rd wire. come on guys this is so boring explaining it all time. noone listens if its not on 1st post

connect wire from pin 3 in terminal socket to gnd of rs232ttl board. next time read carefully what i suggest. I'm wonder when Gradius will fix his tutorial and add this 3rd wire. come on guys this is so boring explaining it all time. noone listens if its not on 1st post

So, this is just as simple as make a third wire from the ground on the RS232 Board where the power is connected and connect that third wire to the ground pin on the PCB. Thats It? That Simple?

So, this is just as simple as make a third wire from the ground on the RS232 Board where the power is connected and connect that third wire to the ground pin on the PCB. Thats It? That Simple?

I followed the instructions literally as they were posted; post #37 fatlip said you had to have power to to the pcb; I used a sata power from my desktop power supply while I was communicating using a separate laptop. obviously, with power connected you have to be very careful.

please note I am not saying do this or don't do that; I am only saying what I did to get my hdd back. please be careful.

Edited by Laz

yep.

noticed here confirmed here

noticed here noone listen :)

73_1233808820.jpg

15 bucks for this s***? LOL Hi end converter :) as in cheapest COM cables for siemens C25

Here is something interesting to think about.

The Bios would not see the drive but get this, when I took the PCB off the HDA and hooked the PCB up to the computer just to see what would happen (yes I'm in fark it mode now) the Bios saw the drive.

It was a 0GB hard drive but the Bios saw the PCB.

Bios.jpg

Now with the Zero Gig drive on the PCB, could one do the upgrade from seagate without the HDA hooked up and then just attach the HDA to the PCB after the firmware upgrade?

Here is something interesting to think about.

The Bios would not see the drive but get this, when I took the PCB off the HDA and hooked the PCB up to the computer just to see what would happen (yes I'm in fark it mode now) the Bios saw the drive.

It was a 0GB hard drive but the Bios saw the PCB.

Now with the Zero Gig drive on the PCB, could one do the upgrade from seagate without the HDA hooked up and then just attach the HDA to the PCB after the firmware upgrade?

I noticed that about recognizing only pcb by bios with 0lba issue. Im too lazy to search my posts and insert link to it. But finally I searched HERE i noticed this

no you cant, firmware upgrade works on working drive. id applies to pcb and service area which is on platters. But I REALLY suggest NOT to upgrade firmware. In new terminal can be locked. If main reason to upgrade firmware was to prevent issues which this topic is all about. So what? If you already fixed it once, you will fix it again in future if its needed.

When new firmware SD1A fails, you will be at point when all this rat race started.

HEH First victim, and unfortunately not last. its in polish but all know how to use google translator.

translated:

Post 05 Feb 2009 03:02 Seagate 7200.11 after update to SD1A not detected in the terminal

Welcome

Days ago has failed me hdd firmware SD15 from st3500320as known as BSY. After you've built the system I fixed this problem without losing data, and I did update to SD1A. Hard work week and again there was an error BSY. To fix this problem as before, hdd connected to the same device as the first time, however, Hyper Terminal did not react and did not display any information. Hence my question: Does anyone met with this problem after firmware update the drive is read at a terminal?

I really considering start to play lotto or sth.

Edited by aviko

When new firmware SD1A fails, you will be at point when rat race started.

Aviko,

Ok, I'm making progress but I think I might have still one more issue. The Cable.

Now the lights come on to the rs232ttl board since I hooked the third cable up to the ground. This did not happen before.

ThirdWire.jpg

When hook the rs232ttl to the serial port, the green tx light goes out.

When I also hook the rs232ttl board up to the null modem cable I have, the light goes out.

It still does not talk to the PCB.

I did not hook up the main power supply from the computer yet as I wanted to make sure it would at least talk to the PCB. Any ideas?

EDIT I also hooked this up to another 500 gig drive and still does not talk to the drive via terminal.

Edited by WeatherPaparazzi