The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

it seems that you testing on ES.2 (probably SN05) drive not on 7200.11, try just F without any numbers

i am on a ST3500320AS with firmware SD1A (it is already updated, since it is my experimenting-drive, on which i try all out to see if it works BEFORE i use it on my RAID drive.....

i typed only F

.......... (removed)

Close log which you pasted in [codebox] log put here [/codebox]

if my drive is 'visible' for BIOS but with SIZE 0MB, then only the command 'm0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22' (Enter) is needed, right? no other command before this would be needed.

i type this in T level (= F3 T>)?

it should be enough.

@edit

I never tested that fixed firmware, it seems code is slight different. Only time can show us is these patches really works.

Edited by aviko

Just Fixed My Drive :thumbup

Got my RS232-TTL adapter this morning, backing up my data right now.

But only after figuring out that the connections are TX to TXD, and RX to RXD. Should've been the first thing I checked :blushing:

Thanks to everyone who helped and contributed to this solution, and Gradius for putting up this guide, and putting up with the naysayers.

it seems that you testing on ES.2 (probably SN05) drive not on 7200.11, try just F without any numbers

i am on a ST3500320AS with firmware SD1A (it is already updated, since it is my experimenting-drive, on which i try all out to see if it works BEFORE i use it on my RAID drive.....

if my drive is 'visible' for BIOS but with SIZE 0MB, then only the command 'm0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22' (Enter) is needed, right? no other command before this would be needed.

i type this in T level (= F3 T>)?

thx

regards

cmburns

SD1A has differents commands.

You can see all commands of your 7200.11 disc with this:

Ctrl+z

F3 T>/C

F3 C>Q

(List all commands of your hdd)

SD15:

Level T 'm': Rev 0001.0000, Flash, FormatPartition,

m[Partition],[FormatOpts],[DefectListOpts],[MaxWrRetryCnt],[MaxRdRetryCnt],[MaxEccTLevel],[MaxCertif

yTrkRewrites],[ValidKey]

SD1A:

Level T 'm': Rev 0012.0000, Flash, FormatPartition, m[Partition],[FormatOpts],[DefectListOpts],[MaxWrRetryCnt],[MaxRdRetryCnt],[MaxEccTLevel],[MaxCertif

yTrkRewrites],[ValidKey],[DataPattern]

I don't know if 'm0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22,' (Enter) (note: with last comma) works or not. But there is one person has repaired his hdd doing:

1.- Change firmware from SD1A to AD14.

2.- Repair 0GB problem with the G-List Erase and Translator regeneration commands.

3.- Change firmware from AD14 to SD1A.

In spanish: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry830608

it should be enough.

well guys, i think it worked on one of my RAID drives !!!!!!!!

it is late now,

....i dont want to make any careless mistake today, so ill continue tomorrow BUT thank you all (aviko, Gradius2, pichi and all the others) so far, it is amazing, how much better you are than the company seagate, who is to blame for all this in the first place!!

ill report more tomorrow!!!

thanx again!

good nite

kind regards,

cmburns

When you say you see the arrow, do you mean the '>' character as shown after the "F3 F" text? If so, then

it may be doing what you want, but you just can't see all the text being echoed to the display but only the

last character which you are interpreting as an arrow head (not the mouse symbol).

I'm not sure if windows terminal allows one to change the terminal emulation from lets say whatever you have to VT100

with 80 columns. For those who have windows setup for other character sets or right to left prompting, could this be

the cause? I'm not sure how windows terminal would handle this too.

Can you post screen prints of your hyperterminal settings under File->properties and show us the settings for each screen tab under this

area? This will help with determining if they are set properly.....

Just some thoughts on the arrow problem. :whistle:

I'll post these when I get home.

OK, I've currently shorted my TX and RX lines, but no matter which way around I connect them to the drive, I get nothing in the terminal.

They're only connected to the converter, so either it's not doing its job, and simply passing the signals through, or the hard drive isn't sending any signals.

Any hints?

If you shorted them, then you might fried the terminals.

I should have been more specific - I shorted the TX and RX lines on the adapter I built - not on the drive.

i still dont think i got a reply on this and i even posted boobies, so i'll ask again =)

just to clarify when using the cell phone cable method, all i need is the tx and rx cables from it right? then plug the HD into any sata power cable (i have a 2nd PSU i can use for this)

i just want to make sure im 100% clear on this. there's not going to be too many volts going thru the tx/rx lines (like 5v from the usb port or anything), and i dont need to worry about any kind of ground wire in the cell phone cable right?

^ is that correct?

i still dont think i got a reply on this and i even posted boobies, so i'll ask again =)
just to clarify when using the cell phone cable method, all i need is the tx and rx cables from it right? then plug the HD into any sata power cable (i have a 2nd PSU i can use for this)

i just want to make sure im 100% clear on this. there's not going to be too many volts going thru the tx/rx lines (like 5v from the usb port or anything), and i dont need to worry about any kind of ground wire in the cell phone cable right?

^ is that correct?

You need join GNDs, is the second PSU GND connected to GND of cable (= GND of PC)?

You can protect RX and TX lines with 1K resistances.

Edited by pichi

it would be good if u will connect ground of adapter too, pin next to rx and tx.

just for safety you should connect ground of both power suppiles together (black wire)

so, like a jumper wire from the ground on a molex plug from one PSU to the other? ir would i be better to take the ground wire from the cell phone cable and ground it out to the body of the HD?

both. there is ground on pin 3 in terminal connector:

77_1233617773.jpg

You can solder a ground wire into back of jumper and put it as limit to 1,5gbits

so, like a jumper wire from the ground on a molex plug from one PSU to the other? ir would i be better to take the ground wire from the cell phone cable and ground it out to the body of the HD?

The GND is a complicated thing.

Normally GND=Molex black wire=Chassis=Ground of 220/110V plug.

The better is join only one GND, example: from the cell phone cable to the body of the HD/third pin.

I suppose that the second PSU is a floating power supply.

Precautions: All others grounds are separated (check plug, wires, chassis, etc)

Edited by pichi

Aviko, maybe you can help me?

My ST3500320NS drive doesn't answer on the terminal when PCB is disconnected from the rest of disk.

But when both parts are connected i can unlock terminal for about 1-2 seconds and again got LED:000000CC...

Im very sad because i had huge collection of great photos of my 1-year old son only on that hd...

Aviko, maybe you can help me?

My ST3500320NS drive doesn't answer on the terminal when PCB is disconnected from the rest of disk.

But when both parts are connected i can unlock terminal for about 1-2 seconds and again got LED:000000CC...

Im very sad because i had huge collection of great photos of my 1-year old son only on that hd...

read PM

i was thinking it only needed one ground. ike taking the usb ground wire, stripping some and wrapping around a screw then screwing it into the mounting holes on the side of the drive.

yeah, the 2nd PSU will be a floater, but honestly i could use the system's PSU to power the drive if it helps.

i was thinking it only needed one ground. ike taking the usb ground wire, stripping some and wrapping around a screw then screwing it into the mounting holes on the side of the drive.

yeah, the 2nd PSU will be a floater, but honestly i could use the system's PSU to power the drive if it helps.

unless you connect sata connectors to mainboard/sata controller the only way where ground both psu meets is in your adapter connected to terminal. i think its not worth a risk. sure you can power it from pc psu. byt there is danger when you do power cycle power surge can turn off other disks in your pc for just a sec. it happens to me when i have much drives connected on same cable when I power on one of them, rest make a power reset too.