The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

And yes, automation is perfectly possible, without any risk for users and not hard at all, just some hours of hard work would do it.

I have around 50% of code done.

which command you will use?

m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 which was stolen by Okzo from unknown source or maybe m0,6,2,,,,,22 which is stolen from Acelab?

fix for broken translator is easy, but I got few drives where terminal was locked. Another problem is when user try to recount translator with pcb from another drive or try to run this solution on working drive.

Edited by aviko

I never called anyone a thief.

Regardless of who came out with the solution first, it was the people in the hddguru forums that started all this by being totally arrogant to simple questions. This just sent many of us on a mission to find the answer and we did. I could careless who came up with the command set to do it. It isn't illegal, and is now public knowledge.

Yeah but calling him a thief? Come on guys.

You not but guy above already said something about stealing code from acelabs. Thats really sad. What can I say? We are sad nation at all. The only thing that we know is how to steal and of course we dont like when someone steal from us.

Just shut up aviko. Your attitude is unacceptable and it's got nothing to do with English as a native language. Many people here does not have English as their native language but it's common decency and respect for others.

To the rest, please just IGNORE his rants and we will get on with the topic, which is solving/improving the fix for this 7200.11. IGNORING is the best way to shut him/her out, replying will just continue to encourage him to troll around and add more replies.

Personally, I think the solution is simple enough to perform already - but I salute Gradius for trying to work out a one button fix.

You not but guy above already said something about stealing code from acelabs. Thats really sad. What can I say? We are sad nation at all. The only thing that we know is how to steal and of course we dont like when someone steal from us.

Gradius I registered just to let you know your a hero among men. My drive is currently down and I believe its the BSY error as it will no detect in BIOS.

When it first failed the machine wouldn't even boot past the initial splashscreen with the drive hooked up. After hours of swapping things around and pulling my hair out the computer actually start now with the drive hooked up but still does not detect the drive. I have a PCI diagnostic card from Ultra-X (not cheap btw) and it shows there is something hooked up to that particular SATA port but cannot pull any info from the drive.

I went to my local radioshack today hoping they would carry or would be able to order the items i need to make this little setup, but they had nothing and don't even carry paper catalogs now - they just search on their website which pointed me to retarded things like digital cameras when i searched for the required parts.

If there is any interest from the community, I would consider ordering a few of the RS232 to TTL boards, some small project boxes, battery holders, batteries, an on/off switch, and leads to make a few of these in a nice neat little package. I'm sure there are alot of people who would like to make these things but are intimidated by a soldering iron.

if you can pound out that program to make it a no brainer for people to perform the functions i would paypal you 1 million dollars in wooden mexican pesos :thumbup

why dont you use any gsm cable? its really easier than making whole circuit from scratch. any usb cable which detects and install as serial port (when you connect only cable without phone) will work well, rx and tx lines can be determined from phone connector pinout or just by shorting rx and tx together. then you should see what you type on terminal. if you have local echo turned on you should see all letters twice. just search any cable at home take a picture of it then i will tell you if its good or not.

yeah my original idea was scrapped once i actually read thru all 21 pages. i chopped up an old LG VX9800 cable i had and it was a no-go. I'm gonna go to wal-mart and see if they have any cables that will work (3120, dku-5, ca-42, ca-45)

Maybe i'll get lucky and we'll have some freeware from grad soon (honestly, i'd pay at least 10 bucks for it if i had to LOL)

VX9800 has usb port built-in so if you have usb cable it almost sure doesnt have any electronics inside. When you plug a cable into usb port does pc found new hardware? If not you cant use it.

nah it didnt have one, like i said i chopped the cable to see and it was a no-go. just got back from walmart and they had nothing either. i'll be going to best buy tomorrow to see what they have.

*edit* screw it, i just ordered a CA-42 with a driver disc and shipping (from a US seller too) on ebay for less than 6.00

i'll post my results to add to the list once im done.

Edited by my77stang

Tried again today and now I don't get any response from the hyperterminal. Not sure if the RS232 TTL board went bad but I ordered another one that was listed in the first posts. The drive still spins up but still no response.

just short tx and rx lines together and type anything on terminal. if you see what you type it means that adapter is working. note, if you have local echo turned on in options you should see all letters twice. to ensure that just type something when you havent rx and tx shorted, if you see anything then after short you should see all in double.

OK, I've currently shorted my TX and RX lines, but no matter which way around I connect them to the drive, I get nothing in the terminal.

They're only connected to the converter, so either it's not doing its job, and simply passing the signals through, or the hard drive isn't sending any signals.

Any hints?

Okay, I decided to continue the code, but I don't vow any ETA. ;)

I'll released it for LBA errors first as a beta test.

Thank you Gradius2 AND everyone else involved (you know who you are), please don't fight, vent your anger towards $egate instead :realmad:

I'll be patiently awaiting your "one click solution" since I'm hopeless with anything else.

Can you tell me which cable to order (preferably mobile phone one to keep it simple) so it arrives in time for your program.

I am located in Europe.

Your work is appreciated by all $eagate owners. :thumbup