The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

My (long) 2c.

The solution that is in this thread is certain to be a composite built from multiple sources. Like so much human collaboration, we share ideas, and we build on the knowledge of others before us. Which of us knows for certain that we have ever had a truly original idea without benefit of knowledge that we have gleaned from others?

Such contributions will always differ in time, perceived value, approach, etc. So, should we now start to fight about whose contribution was first, greatest, smartest???

I first arrived at the HDDGuru forum looking to learn about this issue and was disgusted at the attitude of the "professional" community. The contrast between that forum and the contributors in this link was awe inspiring. I suspect all of the names mentioned in this dispute have contributed. I don't want to assign a ranked value to their contributions, even if I could. So... exactly which sole individual should I thank for saving my data? I don't know.

BUT what I DO know is that if we travel down this path of "who deserves most credit" to its end, then despite the URL at the top of my browser, I will really be sitting back in the HDDGurur forum again :-).

Please don't make that happen! :-)

I got a new controller, same output in the terminal:

just an arrow.

Plz, can anyone help me? :)

Thx

Jason

I had the arrow at first too even though I was sure I followed the terminal connections correctly; when flipped the terminals and completely removed the pcb there no problem. I want to mention I restarted hyperterminal-I didn't just flip the connections while hyperterminal was on.

Yura's Friend,

Firstly, I didn't write the initial guide - so it's not up to me to post the link.

Secondly, why don't you just post the link where Yura released the information to public domain? Did that information release state the terms of it's use? e.g. must have clear link back to him?

Thirdly, I'm not trying to provoke anything. If Yura and whoever else poured in hours of their personal time to find out the commands to fix this, I personally feel that they should be compensated for their time and effort. It's just a token of appreciation, I'm not talking about $100 or something like that, but I'm willing to contribute for example $5 or $10 to this. With the number of people here affected by the problem, I'm sure he will get a substantial return for all his time and effort. The $ contribution is voluntary - if one does not want to pay, it's fine as the info is public domain but for those who wants to pay - why not? Rather than pay $1000 to some stupid greedy data recovery company, I'd rather pay $5 to contribute partially to someone's time in finding out the commands to fix this. Again with the number of people affected, this person will stand to get quite a tidy sum.

If this is not about money, then I really don't see why you want to raise such a fuss about the lack of a link back to the source. You've mentioned that the info was released into public domain. Sharing it out means that others can take the info, improve it, better it and make it more useful. That's the spirit of Internet collaboration and sharing.

If you have a problem with this, go PM gradius2 and work it out with him. Or just do everyone a favour and post a message informing where the original info came from and end this.

@poolcarpet, are you trying to provoke or something? I just wrote about one simple link, nothing more. The information was released by YURA into public domain to be shared for free - how can we charge anything for it?! Yura shared information he gathered during long nights spent working with 7200.11, he deserves some credit - why do you instantly think about money?! Just link to the source - that's all.

just an arrow.

Thx

Jason

I had the arrow at first too even though I was sure I followed the terminal connections correctly; when flipped the terminals and completely removed the pcb there no problem. I want to mention I restarted hyperterminal-I didn't just flip the connections while hyperterminal was on.

Thx for your reply.

I often flipped the terminals, can't even count how many times. Removed pcb, no afford. I only get one "arrow" in the terminal.

Greetz

Jan

Guest yura's_friend

This is my last post in this topic, don't want to fight you.

We help people for free, we make information public - there is a reason for this. I will quote Dmitry Postrigan on this:

"I really do not think that we should or even can prevent the information like this to spread out. We, the data recovery industry, cannot and should not police the internet and kill information by all means. If someone's business really depends on information like this that much, then it is definitely some very flawed kind of business."

We are fighting with this kind of Data Recovery industry - we are fighting with those 'flawed businesses' Dmitry mentioned. Just look at hddguru forum and see how most of guys there reacted to the information. They knew they would charge hundreds of $ for this silly fix. One simple website and everybody can fix a drive. Thousands of dollars saved.

Take the information, share it, make it better, but keep the original author. I will not post any messages with links to the source - think it is Gradius' job. But if I'm right, he thinks he found the fix himself ;-)

EDIT:

Firstly, don't judge anyone when using polish->english translator :D You are so wrong on this :D Polish language is one of the most difficult languages and there is no translator. Just don't bother ;)

Secondly, yura got his solution independently from PC3K and SD. Just have a look at Dmitry's post @hddguru. Yura is a researcher, not a thief. His command is also different than PC3K and SD.

And the last thing - I am not talking about any donations (I don't care). I am talking about that link ;) Do what you think you should. Have a nice weekend, bye. To the next major bug :>

Edited by yura's_friend

I would say the real credits of this are from PC-3000 guys, then SalvationDATA copied from PC-3000 guys and okzo copied from them.

PC-3000 costs around $10k, there are pirated China version costing $500 or less, but not always works, or not work at all (with no support at all, of course).

So the real credits goes to:

http://www.acelab.ru

http://www.acelab.ru/products/pc-en/pc3000.html

The credits are already there. Those guys deserve it.

aboutus.jpg

Edited by Gradius2

Take the information, share it, make it better, but keep the original author. I will not post any messages with links to the source - think it is Gradius' job. But if I'm right, he thinks he found the fix himself ;-)

Well, if you think that is because you didn't read nothing I posted.

That's sad, but true.

EDIT:

Firstly, don't judge anyone when using polish->english translator :D You are so wrong on this :D Polish language is one of the most difficult languages and there is no translator. Just don't bother ;)

Secondly, yura got his solution independently from PC3K and SD. Just have a look at Dmitry's post @hddguru. Yura is a researcher, not a thief. His command is also different than PC3K and SD.

And the last thing - I am not talking about any donations (I don't care). I am talking about that link ;) Do what you think you should. Have a nice weekend, bye. To the next major bug :>

The commands wouldn't be that different (after all we're just using terminal access to the drive), but he still used datas from PC-3000 & SD guys, proof:

http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/viewtopic.php?p=5876480

Message from 19 Gru 2008 08:51 (penultimate msg there):

"500 Gb BSY and Cap 0 solution.rar"

"Data Recovery from 0 GB Barracuda 7200.11.rar"

The only thing it could be a little bit different would be the arguments used on commands.

Edited by Gradius2

Guest yura's_friend

A proof? :D He said in that post: "I prefer to do it by myself, not clicking 'Solution' button, I prefer to understand what I am doing instead of clicking 'next'". And that files just show what that "Solution" and "Next" buttons mean. You are badly mistaken, Mr. Gradius :>

just an arrow.

Thx

Jason

OK, I have the PCB off the HDA. I still get the Arrow but thats all I get now. Is this correct? Also thanks to the people that put this together but can you move your credit fight to another topic, some of us are still trying to figure this out and it's a b***h to read through the stuff for info and the who gets credit.

You all get credit for this if this works!

Ok, here's what I did -

1. With power off, unscrew the PCB from the HDA. Place a small cardboard between the PCB/HDA contacts to isolate them. Then screw in all but not tightly (not tight enough that you cannot pull out the cardboard)

2. Connect the TX and RX on the hard disk to the RX and TX of your rs232 board.

3. Connect power (red is voltage, black is ground) to the rs232 board.

4. Connect to the rs232 board using hyperterm, make sure it's set correctly

5. Now power up the drive by plugging in the power

6. At the hyperterminal window, press Enter once to connect (make sure it says connected at the bottom)

7. Nothing will happen/show up, but hit Ctrl-z now and you should see this prompt:

F3 T>

If you cannot get to this stage, check your rs232, cabling, check your hyperterminal. If you are using small connectors to the RX and TX on the hard disk, please make sure they are not touching one another. I used a small piece of cardboard in between the pins to make sure there are no contacts. Here are some pics of my fix.

HTH.

just an arrow.

Thx

Jason

OK, I have the PCB off the HDA. I still get the Arrow but thats all I get now. Is this correct? Also thanks to the people that put this together but can you move your credit fight to another topic, some of us are still trying to figure this out and it's a b***h to read through the stuff for info and the who gets credit.

You all get credit for this if this works!

post-225669-1233427991_thumb.jpg

post-225669-1233428005_thumb.jpg

post-225669-1233428051_thumb.jpg

Edited by poolcarpet

see the photo with the white piece of paper. once you open the pcb, you can see there are about 3 or was it 4 contacts. isolate that section.

anyway, i think you should get a response regardless of whether you isolate or not. if you are connecting to the hard disk without isolation and you don't get the prompt, something is wrong with your connectivity or the rs232.

Do I want to isolate the motor contacts or all contacts on the PCB?