The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

[...]

Good info about indentifing wires and checking the connection is here.

[...]

Thanks, this link was very helpful to me :) I used a CA-42 (equivalent) cable and soldered two cables to the connector that connect to my hd. Now my 500GB disc is up and running again, flashed the new firmware right away and all seems to be OK. The only thing that was 'odd' during the terminal session (using Gradius2's guide) was this:

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>

The guide warning me it could take a minute, but it was slightly faster :P No problem though, worked like a charm! So thanks everyone who contributed, especially Gradius2, pichi and fatlip!

Alex, are you sure the DCU-65 cable has a built-in Serial to TTL converter?

Hi I don't get an answer from my terminal, i use a DCU-65 cable from my old cellphone, green conected to TX and white to RX.

I first disconnect the pcb then attach the usb, open terminal, then i plugin the power.

But i don't get any answer, but the computer seems to find something because it freezes after each try..

Any suggestions?

Hi I don't get an answer from my terminal, i use a DCU-65 cable from my old cellphone, green conected to TX and white to RX.

I first disconnect the pcb then attach the usb, open terminal, then i plugin the power.

But i don't get any answer, but the computer seems to find something because it freezes after each try..

Any suggestions?

No I'm not sure, I just had one left and thought I could give it a try. If there is anybody out here knowing anything about unbricking with DCU-60 or 65 (SonyE computercables) please let me know, otherwise I will buy a real converter.

Looking at the pictures I'm pretty sure DCU-65 is too short to have a transceiver inside...

DCU-65-bg.jpgCable%20Data%20CA-42.jpg

The cables that have been reported to work so far (DKU-5, CA-42, CA-45) have the USB side almost twice larger than the ones that don't.

See?

Greetings, ToKu.

If any of you are done fixing your hard drive and want to sell your functional cables im interested in buying. I dont want to pay an overprice, I can pay as much as the items have costed. I quess this can save me some time and effort and you some money since you probably wont use your cables again.

Send me a PM if you are interested. I live in Sweden but I quess you can send it globally, it isnt so heavy right?

Looking at the pictures I'm pretty sure DCU-65 is too short to have a transceiver inside...

DCU-65-bg.jpgCable%20Data%20CA-42.jpg

The cables that have been reported to work so far (DKU-5, CA-42, CA-45) have the USB side almost twice larger than the ones that don't.

See?

Greetings, ToKu.

Yes I understand, will buy another tomorrow then hopefully i will get my data back! :thumbup

People, as I said before, you all should always do a sanity check on your connection before connect any wire to the Seagate hard drive!

Actually, trying connecting random cables you found in your drawers may damage permanently your USB port or your hard drive! So be safe!

By now, as I can remember, the right phone cables used for the fix were Nokia DKU-5, CA-42 and CA-45. I remember Shuky also used a cable for Siemens 35 series but I don't know the exact model. Usually, phone cables with built-in serial converter have a longer USB plug.

Other than phone cables, there's a plenty of adapters of any kind here that will work for the fix. Just read carefully this thread, I'm sure almost all the info you need are already here.

Guest yura's_friend

I noticed that even a link to yura's website disappeared from the first post. Now, when the link is deleted, somebody called Gradius2 can take the honours and say that this is his method, his work and his idea. What's the truth, Gradius2? You found yura's website with google and it was the only one with the solution in the whole internet at the time. You took his work and published as yours. Is that fair? Just have some dignity and, at least, put the link back.

And one more thing - you said that you spoke with yura and he was rude. You didn't speak with him at all. Offending somebody just to steal his work is not a good way to make contacts.

Regards from Poland and Lithuania.

Edited by yura's_friend

I noticed that even a link to yura's website disappeared from the first post. Now, when the link is deleted, somebody called Gradius2 can take the honours and say that this is his method, his work and his idea. What's the truth, Gradius2? You found yura's website with google and it was the only one with the solution in the whole internet at the time. You took his work and published as yours. Is that fair? Just have some dignity and, at least, put the link back.

And one more thing - you said that you spoke with yura and he was rude. You didn't speak with him at all. Offending somebody just to steal his work is not a good way to make contacts.

I have to agree at some part. Yura was the first and only one who revealed the top secret command we were all hard looking for fix out our dead drives, the (now) well known m0,2,2,,,,,22. Yep, he is the HERO!

And don't misunderstand me, please.

Then Shuky, as gsustek, re-posted the solution on the hddguru forum, and I remember I was more happy to see some people there going on business panic than to found finally a solution for my data lost. (If their business was built on a secret command, how trust them as professional people who do critical/important data recovery?)

After, Gradius2 made this thread with his well written tutorial.

Top Kudos go to Fatlip and pichi for their hard work, since their early posts at seagate forums (yeah, before censorships and bans), top kudos go to Gradius for his great translation work and his help here in the forum, and kudos go to everyone helped in any way to solve this.

It's a long story and it's a beautiful story after all. We came here angry and so restless for our data. Then, post after post, we figured it out. We win. Seagate people admitted their fault (and now they have to deal with it). We had our data back and now we're helping people to solve problems that were our problem till yesterday.

So, I see an happy end here.

Yep, this is my point of view of the whole story.

I just received my RS232 board today and followed the steps given and it works perfectly! My brick is now detected and I'm evacuating all my data to my portable hard disk for backup!

Then going to update the firmware on this stupid 7200.11 and then run some tests to ensure it's working before putting data back in there.

I took some photos, will post them up later for reference to others.

P/s : I probably don't need the USB-serial + rs232 board. Anyone interested to purchase them, please PM me (I'm located in Malaysia though...) I bought them for an equivalent of USD$15.

Gradius2 did indicate this in his edited post :

"Keep in mind I did my best to compile all this information and provide more and better details."

I have seen the links he gave originally and the information provided is cryptic. Gradius2 took the info, and added value to them, even providing photos and links to where you can get the components and I believe other than the actual commands used to fix (which is just the m0,2,2,,,,,22 - the other commands were available elsewhere in the internet) - his post here has evolved to his own work. Gradius2, maybe you can consider to post the links on where you get the commands above just to shut these people mouth.

I think he's doing a great job for the community and sharing all these info instead of some selfish people who want to keep all these info to themselves and charging people a ridiculous amount of money to fix this. Snap out of it, and think - if the real data recovery people are not so greedy to try and slaughter people over this stupid firmware problems (read - charge people no more than USD50 for this fix) and people might actually send the drives over to you guys to have it fixed and you will get your $$ too. If your charges are reasonable, there are people who will be willing to pay you rather than fix it themselves.

Please DO NOT use plastic card. Please use paper or cardboard or anything that is static free. Plastic can generate static, especially when you pull out the plastic and that may cause damage to your hard disk!

As we said we did follow the procedure of Gradius2, but the tricky part: remounting the PCB on the disk with power on, we did

a little bit different.

We mounted the PCB with all the screws (but 2) from the beginning, but did insert a plastic card between the PCB and the disk;

so the contacts below the PCB were isolated. The mounting of the PCB in Phase 2 of Gradius2 procedure simple consists of

removing the plastic card.

post-229854-1233317490_thumb.jpg

"Keep in mind I did my best to compile all this information and provide more and better details."

I have seen the links he gave originally and the information provided is cryptic. Gradius2 took the info, and added value to them, even providing photos and links to where you can get the components and I believe other than the actual commands used to fix (which is just the m0,2,2,,,,,22 - the other commands were available elsewhere in the internet) - his post here has evolved to his own work. Gradius2, maybe you can consider to post the links on where you get the commands above just to shut these people mouth.

I think he's doing a great job for the community and sharing all these info instead of some selfish people who want to keep all these info to themselves and charging people a ridiculous amount of money to fix this. Snap out of it, and think - if the real data recovery people are not so greedy to try and slaughter people over this stupid firmware problems (read - charge people no more than USD50 for this fix) and people might actually send the drives over to you guys to have it fixed and you will get your $$ too. If your charges are reasonable, there are people who will be willing to pay you rather than fix it themselves.

Yura was the one who gave us the solution we're talking about in this thread. period.

come on, pichi and fatlip...you already did it, but some people seem to not understand, tell them who is the one who save our data.

He deserves it.

Edited by dskbrk

I agree.

m0,2,2,,,,,22 -> credits to Yura and his sources.

Now how can I show my gratitude? Any paypal account for me to send in some $$ perhaps? Money talks.

Yura was the one who gave us the solution we're talking about in this thread. period.

come on, pichi and fatlip...you already did it, but some people seem to not understand, tell them who is the one who save our data.

He deserves it.

Guest yura's_friend

@poolcarpet, are you trying to provoke or something? I just wrote about one simple link, nothing more. The information was released by YURA into public domain to be shared for free - how can we charge anything for it?! Yura shared information he gathered during long nights spent working with 7200.11, he deserves some credit - why do you instantly think about money?! Just link to the source - that's all.