The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I am currently waiting on parts to attempt this procedure as I have a bricked 1Tb drive with the BSY stuck on. I was wondering if by disconnecting the PCB from HDA (or as some have suggested - putting in the card paper between PCB to HDA contacts) and then connect the PCB part of drive connected as usual (SATA, power etc) that the firmware could then be flashed with new SD1A firmware? or does the BSY signal still get stuck on? anyone try this?

I have done this!

Since my RS232 to TTL isn't working I swapped PCB's with identical ST31000340AS and flashed the bad board on a new disk, and worked flawlessly.

[]'s

Hey guys,

...its true the new fix is good...thanx Vinicius, i too was having issues with the hyperterminal....i dont reccomend for others to persue it...though at the time it was necessary as the firmware was not available....this is what i did as did Vinicius

1. swap pcb boards on 2 like hd's ...flash the bad pcb with the new SD1 firmware

2. swap back the pcb's

voila !! full recovery from bsy hd with no LB0.

Hello,

I have a quick question about the flashing - I am stuck on the Freedos screen, i.e. I guess that's because of SATA RAID/AHCI mode being set to RAID. Even if I disconnect all the other drives, it's still stuck.

I am afraid, that if I disable the SATA RAID/AHCI mode, it will delete the RAID settings too (the motherboard is Gigabyte GA-P35-S3R).

Have anyone tried this? Or the only solution is to use a different computer, or recreate the RAID drives after switching the AHCI and flashing?

If anyone managed to successfully do this some other way, please let me know.

BR,

Michal.

When I go into hyper terminal and press ctrl & z this comes up

F3 T>

then when I type

F3 T>/2 (enter)

this shows up and I cant do anything else

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67

any ideas? does enter in brackets mean press enter?

thanks

I have two identical 3500320AS drives, one which is not detected in the bios. i have swapped the pcbs but the faulty one is still not detected even though it is connected to a good drive.

will this fix defo not work for drives that are not detected in the bios?

Hey guys,

...its true the new fix is good...thanx Vinicius, i too was having issues with the hyperterminal....i dont reccomend for others to persue it...though at the time it was necessary as the firmware was not available....this is what i did as did Vinicius

1. swap pcb boards on 2 like hd's ...flash the bad pcb with the new SD1 firmware

2. swap back the pcb's

voila !! full recovery from bsy hd with no LB0.

Hey! I'm very happy reading your post! So flashing the PCB with other drive really works!

Thanks for your feedback!

I have two identical 3500320AS drives, one which is not detected in the bios. i have swapped the pcbs but the faulty one is still not detected even though it is connected to a good drive.

will this fix defo not work for drives that are not detected in the bios?

If you wanna try fire up Firmware update utility in the bad board with the functional disk.

some more details, the bad pcb/good drive is detected in the bios. although it hangs for ages at the bios.

the firmware then boots and when i select option A to update the firmware, it thinks about it for while and then returns the error message

error: specific model not found. st3500320as expected

all help appreciated Vinicus

some more details, the bad pcb/good drive is detected in the bios. although it hangs for ages at the bios.

the firmware then boots and when i select option A to update the firmware, it thinks about it for while and then returns the error message

error: specific model not found. st3500320as expected

all help appreciated Vinicus

Strange... If I plug only the PCB without the Disk I got your symptoms. Check if your Frankenstein disk is spinning (even with head beat; my case).

Are you sure that your both ST3500340AS are identical and running SD1A firmware on the working one?

It's possible to see the LED: 000000CC Error even with bad RX and TX?

I've made a Circuit with a MAX232N IC and 4x 1uF caps and 1x 10uF Cap.

Just a note: if I plug only the PCB, I got ST31000340AS AD14. The strange part is this. If the drive is BSY, is this correct? BIOS can detect the drive in this state?

Thanks.

Is possible to see if TX (from Seagate) to RX (on PC) is fine.

BSY or CC errors aren't detected by BIOS.

I am currently waiting on parts to attempt this procedure as I have a bricked 1Tb drive with the BSY stuck on. I was wondering if by disconnecting the PCB from HDA (or as some have suggested - putting in the card paper between PCB to HDA contacts) and then connect the PCB part of drive connected as usual (SATA, power etc) that the firmware could then be flashed with new SD1A firmware? or does the BSY signal still get stuck on? anyone try this?

This guide is the solution for CC or BSY errors, and 0 LBA errors.

CC and BSY are "critical" since you lost the access to the drive at POST, meaning you cannot even see your HDD anymore.

Until you cannot see your HDD, it will be impossible to perform an update by flashing.

Only fixing CC or BSY errors will let you to see (at POST moment) your HDD again, and upgrade it by flashing with the correct firmware.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

It's working!

Okay okay!

I don't even needed the s***ty RS232 to any s*** or whatever.

When I saw the desperate of null console I do something insane.

I have 2x ST31000340AS. So I swapped the PCB's and I let the hard disk head beat insanely. Ok...

Fired up the Seagate Firmware Utility to SD1A, and the update was done! Using the old board in the new disk.

Reswapped the PCB and when I boot the machine? ST31000340AS SD1A 1000Gb O.O

Disk is FIXED!!! I can't BELIEVE! Only with Firmware update from Seagate ;)

All my files are back online!

I don't recommend this method, the reading/writing HEAD goes crazy and can kill the platters by scratching them.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

It's working!

Okay okay!

I don't even needed the s***ty RS232 to any s*** or whatever.

When I saw the desperate of null console I do something insane.

I have 2x ST31000340AS. So I swapped the PCB's and I let the hard disk head beat insanely. Ok...

Fired up the Seagate Firmware Utility to SD1A, and the update was done! Using the old board in the new disk.

Reswapped the PCB and when I boot the machine? ST31000340AS SD1A 1000Gb O.O

Disk is FIXED!!! I can't BELIEVE! Only with Firmware update from Seagate ;)

All my files are back online!

I don't recommend this method, the reading/writing HEAD goes crazy and can kill the platters by scratching them.

Actually it didn't go crazy. It try to align 8 times (I counted), and then the head disables and stop.

[]'s