The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi,

I am happy to report that I got my ST3750330AS back with all my data :) I have used Siemens C35 mobile phone data cable, cost 5.50 LTL (~2.12 USD). It connects to RS232 9pin connector on computer side, on mobile side it has 12 outputs. One needs 1, 4, 5, 6 outputs. It needs 3.3V power (maybe it will work with 5V, but I did not tried, as from specs it is 3.3V). So I used SATA

power cable as power source: orange cable(pins 1,2,3) are 3.3V, black cable (pins 10,11,12). You need true SATA power cable as converter from MOLEX does not have 3.3V output. Now connect like this.

1 - should connect to computers GND (ground) - black cable

4 - should connect to computers 3.3V - orange cable

5 - should connect to HDD TX

6 - should connect to HDD RX

The rest is as per guide in the first post of this topic.

Thank you all for everything. Our activity also wakened up Seagate from winter sleep ;) to provide us with fixed firmware. I dought it would happen that soon if not this community and especially some people work. Thank you all.

--

Great resource I have been using is http://pinouts.ru/. You can find pinouts for other phones too, but keep in mind that it can be that pinouts would be from mobile side, so for cable you should use reverse thinking ;)

Good luck :)

--

dscf_101_5606_800x600.jpg

Edited by valdas

Hi Chapin,

PM'd You Re phone data cable.

But look Valdas has done the same, with a different data cable too.

He also had to connect the +3.3v by the looks, where i only had to use rx tx. And it reads like he too swapped the rx tx lines over too.

Checking an old Maxtor (300GB), I got:

- Burst rate: 114.3MB/sec (the drive is from 26/08/2004 !)

While a new Seagate (750GB) with SD1A I'm getting just 89.9MB/sec. o.O

I'm very disappointed.

Edit: A Seagate 300GB (also like 5yo) managed to get 96.9MB/sec ! A new 1TB (Seagate) with CC1F got just 98.8MB/sec.

The evidence:

ST31000333AS.png

ST3750330AS_new.png

ST3300831AS.png

Maxtor_6B300S0.png

Edited by puntoMX

Am I screwed???

This is what I get in Hyperterminal..... BTW, it's accompanied with the "click of death"!

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 25.907 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

Edited by avinnc

Am I screwed???

This is what I get in Hyperterminal..... BTW, it's accompanied with the "click of death"!

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 25.907 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

Did you tried this:

F3 T>/2

and

F3 2>U (power on)

?

F3 2>Z (does power off on Spin motor).

If no good then a RMA is better.

Looks like HD Tune isn't compatible with those "new" drives for benchmark yet, so is unreliable.

I used HD Tach v3.0.4.0 and now I got this:

1k GB: 247.2MB/sec (Average read: 99.6MB/sec)

750GB: 244.4MB/sec (Average read: 91.1MB/sec)

300GB: 130.2MB/sec (Average read: 51.5MB/sec)

However, what worries me is the access time begin too high, on 1TB (fw CC1F) they're always above 15ms.

While all the rest (non 1TB), are always 12.5ms (max) !

Edited by Gradius2

Need some help please :(

I've mounted a RS232 to TTL circuit connect the TX and RX to terminal and OK! I saw the: LED: 000000CC 00XXXXXX error.

So with the terminal open, I switched off the disk, removed just the screws near the engine and powered the board again.

I simply cannot get in terminal. There's no output and CTRL+Z don't do a thing under HyperTerminal. I really need help! :(

PS: Showing LED: 000000CC blabla means that my circuit is working, right?

Thx

If you cannot enter CMDs it means the TX (from PC) to RX (Seagate) is bad, verify the cables, double or triple check.

Keep in mind, for BSY errors, you need to disconnect the Spin motor, or the drive will enter in that state (in around 2 secs) after it occurs you cannot enter anything, not even CTRL+Z.

Just removing the screw(s) will not works, you need to isolate the contacts with something (I used a card paper).

Edited by Gradius2

If you cannot enter CMDs it means the TX (from PC) to RX (Seagate) is bad, verify the cables, double or triple check.

Keep in mind, for BSY errors, you need to disconnect the Spin motor, or the drive will enter in that state (in around 2 secs) after it occurs you cannot enter anything, not even CTRL+Z.

Just removing the screw(s) will not works, you need to isolate the contacts with something (I used a card paper).

It's possible to see the LED: 000000CC Error even with bad RX and TX?

I've made a Circuit with a MAX232N IC and 4x 1uF caps and 1x 10uF Cap.

Just a note: if I plug only the PCB, I got ST31000340AS AD14. The strange part is this. If the drive is BSY, is this correct? BIOS can detect the drive in this state?

Thanks.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

It's working!

Okay okay!

I don't even needed the s***ty RS232 to any s*** or whatever.

When I saw the desperate of null console I do something insane.

I have 2x ST31000340AS. So I swapped the PCB's and I let the hard disk head beat insanely. Ok...

Fired up the Seagate Firmware Utility to SD1A, and the update was done! Using the old board in the new disk.

Reswapped the PCB and when I boot the machine? ST31000340AS SD1A 1000Gb O.O

Disk is FIXED!!! I can't BELIEVE! Only with Firmware update from Seagate ;)

All my files are back online!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

It's working!

Okay okay!

I don't even needed the s***ty RS232 to any s*** or whatever.

When I saw the desperate of null console I do something insane.

I have 2x ST31000340AS. So I swapped the PCB's and I let the hard disk head beat insanely. Ok...

Fired up the Seagate Firmware Utility to SD1A, and the update was done! Using the old board in the new disk.

Reswapped the PCB and when I boot the machine? ST31000340AS SD1A 1000Gb O.O

Disk is FIXED!!! I can't BELIEVE! Only with Firmware update from Seagate ;)

All my files are back online!

hey hey hey what did you do

i have a multiple harddisk as well

I am currently waiting on parts to attempt this procedure as I have a bricked 1Tb drive with the BSY stuck on. I was wondering if by disconnecting the PCB from HDA (or as some have suggested - putting in the card paper between PCB to HDA contacts) and then connect the PCB part of drive connected as usual (SATA, power etc) that the firmware could then be flashed with new SD1A firmware? or does the BSY signal still get stuck on? anyone try this?