The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Every RS232 to TTL will works, also USB to RS232 to TTL, also will works.

To a complete list of materials, please check the 1st msg on this topic (I included everything there, links and even prices).

Thanks man. You're a lifesaver. I'll order both. Because if I'm not mistaken I really only need the USB one and just hook that directly up to the TX and RX-port of the disk. Should work if i have understood it all correctly. But I'll play it safe and order both.

Thanks man. :thumbup

First impressions for firmware SD1A:

- Better reading speed (more stable)

- Better writing speed (more stable)

- Burst rate went from 82.4MB/sec to 89.9MB/sec (much better)

- Access time from 12.4ms to 12.3ms now (no changes)

No problems so far.

Tested on 4 (four) ST3750330AS [750GB] (originally: SD15, now using SD1A).

Currently testing defrag with diskeeper, it is running for over 6h now (@ 66% atm), so far so good, the drive is 44% full.

Edited by Gradius2

I'm happy to report success on fixing the BSY flag for my drive. Thank you very much, Fatlip, Pichi, Gradius, et al.

I did not have the 0GB problem, however, so I have nothing to report on that.

One thing I'd like to discuss is this:

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 00C8
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

F3 T>

The m0,2,2,,,,,22 command took several minutes. I was concerned after about 2-3 minutes considering previous statements that the command should only take 15-30 seconds or a bit over 1 minute, but it finished anyway. So for those yet to do this: Don't panic if it takes a while.

I wonder though, does the time it took have to do with the number of partitions? I have ten partitions, including several logical partitions for various Linux installs. I'm doubting that it's due to space used on the drive as I know some folks must've had more than 200GB used. It can't be much to do with the processor speed, I'm on a Core 2 Duo e7300 2.66GHz.

Also, for the other people who have shown their output, only one User Partition Format line was reported - in the above I have two. Should I be concerned about that? Considering that it's working just fine I don't think so, but better safe than sorry. Could it be because I have extended partitions and those who have shown their output only have primary partitions?

Edited by Hazor

Great news (at least for me): I managed to get my drive back to a useable state. If you remember, I was the only one getting a strange error while doing the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 thing, some said my disk is physical dead, others said it's another firmware bug of the SD11-firmware on my drive.

Well, both guesses were wrong: I tried the whole thing with another PC and it worked, so it had something to do with my COM-port. The strange thing was that I could connect to my HDD via COM-port flawlessly, but instead of the sucess-confirmation I got an "User Partition Format was not sucessful" error.

With another PC it worked great, BIOS now recognized the drive, but the RAID0 was gone... I found a great tool solving this problem: File Scavenger. It's $50, but it works like a charm (e.g. it can make a software raid and backup the data even when the hardware raid doesn't work) - I'm confident that in about 20 hours I will have all my data back.

Thanks to all of you helping me and solving the issue!

Edited by kadolf

The m0,2,2,,,,,22 command took several minutes. I was concerned after about 2-3 minutes considering previous statements that the command should only take 15-30 seconds or a bit over 1 minute, but it finished anyway. So for those yet to do this: Don't panic if it takes a while.

I wonder though, does the time it took have to do with the number of partitions? I have ten partitions, including several logical partitions for various Linux installs. I'm doubting that it's due to space used on the drive as I know some folks must've had more than 200GB used. It can't be much to do with the processor speed, I'm on a Core 2 Duo e7300 2.66GHz.

Also, for the other people who have shown their output, only one User Partition Format line was reported - in the above I have two. Should I be concerned about that? Considering that it's working just fine I don't think so, but better safe than sorry. Could it be because I have extended partitions and those who have shown their output only have primary partitions?

That depends a lot on drive, the smaller and more partitions on HDD (500GB or less), the slower it is. But 2~3 minutes for those drives is normal.

My 750GB took around 70secs.

It won't depends on computer at all. It writes on service sector (isn't for user datas).

You're safe to test, if you see not all partitions are there, stop using and report here.

Great news (at least for me): I managed to get my drive back to a useable state. If you remember, I was the only one getting a strange error while doing the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 thing, some said my disk is physical dead, others said it's another firmware bug of the SD11-firmware on my drive.

Well, both guesses were wrong: I tried the whole thing with another PC and it worked, so it had something to do with my COM-port. The strange thing was that I could connect to my HDD via COM-port flawlessly, but instead of the sucess-confirmation I got an "User Partition Format was not sucessful" error.

With another PC it worked great, BIOS now recognized the drive, but the RAID0 was gone... I found a great tool solving this problem: File Scavenger. It's $50, but it works like a charm (e.g. it can make a software raid and backup the data even when the hardware raid doesn't work) - I'm confident that in about 20 hours I will have all my data back.

Thanks to all of you helping me and solving the issue!

I see, your problem was really totally different from the others.

Keep in mind RAID 0 is the most risky and excelent to loss all your datas, IF just one drive goes down (crash, etc), you might lost everything, no matter if the other drives are working 100% fine.

Edited by puntoMX

I know that RAID0 is risky, that was the reason I bought an external Seagate ST31500341AS, I wanted to make a backup every week.

Sadly one of my RAID0-drives got broken before I had the change to back up. Well, now everything is fine I think.

I have

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

1000 Gb

ST31000333AS

P/N: 9FZ136 -100

Firmware: LC15

Date Code: 09153

Site Code: TK

Made in Thailand

first it was stated at seagate it was faulty, and now it's not, however it is.

I made an rs232--ttl adapter which works fine.

The initial error I've got in the terminal is:

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024CDC9
RST 0x20M
(P) SATA Reset

Since i have a different firmware do I have to use the exact same as the 'CC errors aka BUSY' ?

Because when I power down, and after 10 sec powerup the drive it shows again an 'RST 0x20M'

Also i haven't recieved the confirmation message "User Partition Format Successful"

I'm a bit at a loss right now...

oh man you've had me sweating!!

it took ages before the confirmation appeared....pfew

but still i recieved a message that a part was skipped, the drive is now visible again, however it's freeking slow...so far only the first partition (out of three) seems to be reachable...

to be more exact about the error:

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 4% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs
Zone re-format was skipped.

any suggestions?

Edited by SpooX

@SpooX

You should never disconnect the drive after m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmd is given, even if takes 5min. How long it took to you?

That RST 0x20M error sounds like a problem with the "motor trick", check my paper card I used here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=829013

Edited by Gradius2

SO, is there anyone who successfull recovered a drive that had more than one partition?

My busy drive is divided into 3 NFTS partitions and i'm a bit worried about doing the fix right now. Most of the important data is in the extended third one.

Guys I'm so screwed! I have a

Thesis I have to present in two week and my hard drive seagate ST3500320AS wont show up on bios since yesterday (stuck/halt in BUSY state),

so I guess my only solution is the RS232 to TTL adapter mod but it will take about 2 weeks to get those items here so can I use data cable from a

samsung SGH-P850 cell phone?

Pics of my cable

cimg3191rf1.th.jpg

cimg3194dv7.th.jpg

Edited by chapin4life

SO, is there anyone who successfull recovered a drive that had more than one partition?

My busy drive is divided into 3 NFTS partitions and i'm a bit worried about doing the fix right now. Most of the important data is in the extended third one.

If you'll see my post here on the previous page, mine had 10, including extended partitions. They seem to be working just fine. Edited by Hazor

@SpooX

You should never disconnect the drive after m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmd is given, even if takes 5min. How long it took to you?

That RST 0x20M error sounds like a problem with the "motor trick", check my paper card I used here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=829013

I did use the papercard trick also,

it took about 5 to 10 minutes untill i saw the confirmation message as posted before ( i couldn't bear to wait for it so I left it alone and went out for a smoke) when I came back I saw the message was just starting to appear...

Spoox,

You have/had the "BUSY" error:

LED:000000CC <<that is it!

Now, it looks like you waited long enough on the:

m0,2,2,,,,,22 command.

This is this first we have seen of this:

What have you done since this? Just powered the drive off? Have you tried to connect it to the SATA port to see if the BIOS recognizes it?

Fatlip.

I have

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

1000 Gb

ST31000333AS

P/N: 9FZ136 -100

Firmware: LC15

Date Code: 09153

Site Code: TK

Made in Thailand

first it was stated at seagate it was faulty, and now it's not, however it is.

I made an rs232--ttl adapter which works fine.

The initial error I've got in the terminal is:

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024CDC9
RST 0x20M
(P) SATA Reset

Since i have a different firmware do I have to use the exact same as the 'CC errors aka BUSY' ?

Because when I power down, and after 10 sec powerup the drive it shows again an 'RST 0x20M'

Also i haven't recieved the confirmation message "User Partition Format Successful"

I'm a bit at a loss right now...

oh man you've had me sweating!!

it took ages before the confirmation appeared....pfew

but still i recieved a message that a part was skipped, the drive is now visible again, however it's freeking slow...so far only the first partition (out of three) seems to be reachable...

to be more exact about the error:

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 4% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

any suggestions?

Chapin,

I have no idea if this method will work, so I can't say yes.

I can say that the method I used here worked perfectly:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=823633 (post 30)

Here are the European distributors:

http://www.schmartboard.com/index.asp?page...region&dr=4

Maybe you can find what you need through them?

Feel free to PM me if you have questions/need help.

Fatlip

Guys I'm so screwed! I have a

Thesis I have to present in two week and my hard drive seagate ST3500320AS wont show up on bios since yesterday (stuck/halt in BUSY state),

so I guess my only solution is the RS232 to TTL adapter mod but it will take about 2 weeks to get those items here so can I use data cable from a

samsung SGH-P850 cell phone?

Pics of my cable

cimg3191rf1.th.jpg

cimg3194dv7.th.jpg

Spoox,

m0,2,2,,,,,22 command.

What have you done since this? Just powered the drive off? Have you tried to connect it to the SATA port to see if the BIOS recognizes it?

Fatlip.

At first I waited a while and powered off the drive,

then I connected it to SATA on a vista x64 machine, however it wouldn't boot completely, but I was pleased to see the BIOS recognized the drive.

I rebooted and went into the Bios to see if there wasn't an LBA 0 error, there wasn't.

Then I powered the computer down and took out the drive and put it in an external casing (SATA-USB 2) and connected it to my laptop.

The drive was recognized instantly, and the first partition came up as it should. The second and third partition came up, but were not accesible, after a very long time windows pops up with a message to format the drive. Of course I didn't format the drive. So I was able to restore all the files on the first partition, but the others still needs some research.

Spoox,

well i think you are very close;

Um.... ahem: :unsure:

Search for Active@ UNDELETE Enterprise 7.1.050.rar

on thepiratebay.org

That is about as far as i can take you "legally".

:P

PM me if you need more help.

Spoox,

m0,2,2,,,,,22 command.

Fatlip.

At first I waited a while and powered off the drive,

then I connected it to SATA on a vista x64 machine, however it wouldn't boot completely, but I was pleased to see the BIOS recognized the drive.

I rebooted and went into the Bios to see if there wasn't an LBA 0 error, there wasn't.

Then I powered the computer down and took out the drive and put it in an external casing (SATA-USB 2) and connected it to my laptop.

The drive was recognized instantly, and the first partition came up as it should. The second and third partition came up, but were not accesible, after a very long time windows pops up with a message to format the drive. Of course I didn't format the drive. So I was able to restore all the files on the first partition, but the others still needs some research.