The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

peace of cake, just turn betwen motor connector and pcb, visit card, unscrew little bit , and thas it, it works for me. I do this but just 0lba problem, gsustek, did you remember me? Hddguru, so, send me link to document of seagate commands.

Yes, that might works too.

What he means (for those who didn't got):

Just unscrew a bit, enough to not make electrical contact between PCB and HDA, so no need to remove the PCB.

If you want the Seagate commands here is:

Seagate Commands

But the .doc (compressed with rar) is incomplete.

Gradius

Alright everyone. The BUSY state REMOVAL WORKS PERFECTLY!

As I suspected, my friends drive was locked in BUSY state. 3 minutes (and some careful placement of the PCB board) I successfully unlocked the drive.

This drive does not have an LBA=0 issue, so I was not able to try that.

Thanks,

Fatlip

Great!

Edited by Gradius2

I have no knowledge of the HDD electronics but looking at the instructions for making the serial connection one thing worries me a bit. I see it is suggested to use 5V for powering that circuitry. This means that the serial signal logic levels to the HDD would also be 5V. I don't know what is the I/O voltage for the IC on the HDD controller board but these days they are usually 3.3V or less. If there isn't any protection on board then using 5V levels could potentially damage the I/O pins.

Of course the input pins may be 5V tolerant or they may be other protection measures on the PCB for these pins. But if there isn't any protection and the pins aren't 5V tolerant this could be an issue.

If needed this could be solved by powering the RS-232 IC with lower supply voltage. Another way to limit the voltage could be to use zener diodes and current limiting resistors. Not sure of the appropriate values as I don't know what king logic levels the HDD interface expects.

Like I said I have no knowledge of the HDD electronics details but I just realized this potential issue as I was reading the topic and thought I'd mention it just in case.

Edited by hs_

hs_

The +5V is for the RS232 to TTL adapter only.

You can even use +5V from USB, but I don't recommend, because if you do a short-circuit you'll fry your USB port.

If you do a short-circuit using the power supply from PC, it will just turn off, because the power supply have a protective circuit build in.

Gradius

Edited by Gradius2

Definitely for the hard drive not being recognized in the BIOS. Worked exactly as expected. Popped the drive back in his machine and the RAID array rebuilt.... all good.

As I suspected, my friends drive was locked in BUSY state. 3 minutes (and some careful placement of the PCB board) I successfully unlocked the drive.

Thanks,

Fatlip

Great!, this means this guide is correct, right ? :hello::yes:

Gradius

hs_

I have hooked up 5 or 6 drives this way using 5V from the power supply.. no problems.

G

I have no knowledge of the HDD electronics but looking at the instructions for making the serial connection one thing worries me a bit. I see it is suggested to use 5V for powering that circuitry. This means that the serial signal logic levels to the HDD would also be 5V. I don't know what is the I/O voltage for the IC on the HDD controller board but these days they are usually 3.3V or less. If there isn't any protection on board then using 5V levels could potentially damage the I/O pins.

Of course the input pins may be 5V tolerant or they may be other protection measures on the PCB for these pins. But if there isn't any protection and the pins aren't 5V tolerant this could be an issue.

If needed this could be solved by powering the RS-232 IC with lower supply voltage. Another way to limit the voltage could be to use zener diodes and current limiting resistors. Not sure of the appropriate values as I don't know what king logic levels the HDD interface expects.

Like I said I have no knowledge of the HDD electronics details but I just realized this potential issue as I was reading the topic and thought I'd mention it just in case.

Thanks,

Fatlip

How you suspect, is bios recognize hdd?

F3 T>/C

F3 C>Q

and there is commands;)

just mining of its...

Edited by Shuky

Definitely for the hard drive not being recognized in the BIOS. Worked exactly as expected. Popped the drive back in his machine and the RAID array rebuilt.... all good.

Thanks for report fatlip, so for 0 LBA issue it should works as expected too (since for BSY worked fine). :thumbup

Gradius

How you suspect, is bios recognize hdd?

F3 T>/C

F3 C>Q

and there is commands;)

just mining of its...

The entire guide is on 1st page, and 1st post here.

Gradius

I agree this schematic uses zener diodes. Probably the best way is to use USB to rs232(TTL-3V3) cable like Nokia DKU-5, consult this and this

Regards

Guys keep in mind the definitive fix will be after Seagate release a stable (and fixed) firmware.

This guide intent to recovering HDDs from BSY, CC and 0 LBA states.

BSY and CC happens when the HDD isn't recognized anymore by BIOS.

0 LBA is when you see a 0GB size from your HDD, but the BIOS recognize it, but as 0GB HDD.

After this fix, you should flash the HDD with a stable, fixed and proper firmware from Seagate (lets hope they release it soon).

After all that, you're safe until the natural lifetime from HDD.

Gradius

Edited by Gradius2

I agree this schematic uses zener diodes. Probably the best way is to use USB to rs232(TTL-3V3) cable like Nokia DKU-5, consult this and this

Regards

yes, you must have zener reverse polarize diode....

this link http://hddguru.com/content/en/articles/200...pter-schematic/

my datacabel is build with these shematic for siemens x35 series cellphones,with batery was 3.6V..and successfully repair 0 LBA.-s yesterday.

Edited by Shuky

Now I get it what you mean. Yes, the common nowdays is 3.3V, but since you'll use this for no more than 10min, it should be ok, but of course, if you don't want to risk, just use 3.3V, but you'll need to get that power from something else.

Zener diode is just to avoid + to goes to - and vice-versa, it which it would lead to a short-circuit. The only real use I see is that 1kOhms on TX line:

serial_max232.gif

Gradius

Edited by Gradius2

Here is the solution for +3.3V:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...products_id=114

It can output by switching 3.3V or 5V.

Accept inputs from 5V until 12V (you can go as high as 20V, but I don't recommend).

You can also get +3.3V from an ATX power supply, just use pin 1 or 2 (orange), and pin 3 for GND.

http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml

http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml

atx.jpg

Gradius

i have a 7200.11 with the LBA0 problem

I'm trying to fix the drive but i cannot get any output from the console, i know the cable is working because i tested it with another device and i get output

anyone else has this problem too?