The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

In the guide I was using, powering off the drive came after entering N1 and pressing enter. Since I could not get past N1, I never got to the point where I had to power off the drive.

In regards to contacts, I insulated the head. I was able to spin the drives it's just when I enter N1, I get Init SMART Fail
LED:000000CC FAddr:00250067

Thanks

Yep :).

As said, try using the CarterinCanada's guide, EXACTLY (and BTW that one uses - if I recall correctly - the motor contacts).

More or less the rule of the thumb is "try using a set of contacts, and if it doesn't work, try again using the other set of contacts", then there are lots of reports of people failing at their first few attempts and later at the nth re-try succeed (but we have no idea about WHY the first tries were unsuccessful).

I am asking you to use the mentioned CarterinCanada's guide as it is the most detailed available, and has proved to work in most (really almost all) cases, so IF it doesn't work for you we may start to introduce variations :unsure:, but ONLY on the same (known to be usually working) base.

jaclaz

I might have messed up something. I was following the CarterinCanada's guide.

1. When I insulated the head and connected the SATA cable, the drive spins then winds down; however I can't enter any commands in hyper terminal.:Ctrl Z does nothing

2. When I insulated the motor and connected the SATA cable, the drive does not spin; and I still can't enter any commands in hyper terminal :Ctrl Z does nothing

3. When I don't insulate the head or the motor, the drive spins and hyper terminal understands my commands, but I can't only get as far as the N1, just like before. 

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I followed the guide verbatim.

Thanks

(P) SATA Reset

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 426.866 msecs
F3 2>U

HighPowerMode
ExecuteSpinRequest

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 10.412 secs
F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

Init SMART Fail

Wait a minute.

Which exact model (and which exact firmware version) is it?

With the drive fully assembled (i.e. with both the head and motor heads NOT insulated) you can access terminal?

Then you are not in a "locked terminal" situation as the BSY issue would cause.

If you prefer, insulating either the heads or motor contacts is only a trick to allow CTRL+Z to allow access to the terminal, and your drive is not suffering from the illness that supposedly the N1 command should workround to allow the user format fix (but from something else :(:ph34r:).

Conversely, in the half-@§§ed translation I can make via Google of Yura's page (in Polish Lithuanian) it seems that the LED:000000CC  FAddr:xxxxxxxxx error when issuing the N1 command means that the SMART is already cleared and that the format command should be issued right after power on:

http://yura.puslapiai.lt/files/seagate/720011_ES2.html

Maybe it is time that you post a complete report here:
http://malthus.mooo.com/index.php?

http://malthus.mooo.com/viewforum.php?f=2

asking for support/help.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I traveled this morning and currently do not have the hard drive with me. off the top of my head the HD is Seagate barracuda 7200.11, 2T, ST32000540AS, 9WN.Firmware version CC83. I will confirm the FW version when I get back this Friday.  

Yes, I can access the terminal without insulating the head or motor. On the contrary I can't access the terminal when the head or motor is insulated.

I really appreciate your support and patience.

Thanks

Yep :), but as said before, if you can access the terminal without insulating anything you are not in either BSY or LBA0 situation (which are the ONLY ones for which we have some experience) you are in any of the n :ph34r: possible other failure conditions, and as such your drive is outside the scope of this thread and (much) beyond our (limited) level of  competence :(.

Try finding some support on:

if spildit or fzabkar (to name a couple of the most friendly and knowledgeable members over there) have some advice for you (provided that no special equipment such a PC-3000 is needed) you still have some chances.

jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

Yep :), but as said before, if you can access the terminal without insulating anything you are not in either BSY or LBA0 situation (which are the ONLY ones for which we have some experience) you are in any of the n :ph34r: possible other failure conditions, and as such your drive is outside the scope of this thread and (much) beyond our (limited) level of  competence :(.

Try finding some support on:

if spildit or fzabkar (to name a couple of the most friendly and knowledgeable members over there) have some advice for you (provided that no special equipment such a PC-3000 is needed) you still have some chances.

jaclaz

Thanks Man... You've been awesome through the entire process. I will give Malthus a shot

55 minutes ago, CODEBLUE001 said:

Thanks Man... You've been awesome through the entire process. I will give Malthus a shot

You are welcome I am sure :), let us know how it goes.

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jaclaz,

now i ran in problems. I did the procedure right in the tutorial ..ok one thing i didnt understood is the step

At this point, many say you need to disconnect the SATA power cable from the drive and
wait one minute. Yes, count to sixty. Then plug the SATA power cable back into the drive.
There is a bit of debate about this step in the forums but that is what I did and it worked fine
in my case. *IF and only if* you choose not to disconnect drive power temporarily, you
need to at least change back to the test level prompt (type F3 1>/T (enter)) at this point
before continuing.
Now back in HyperTerminal, you'll need to hit CTRL-Z to get a fresh prompt

i didnt disconnecte anything an set only the /T order.

All seems to work fine exept after the last input ..nothing happens anymore since 20 minutes now.

I interrupt the motor ..and i heard it also that nothing happens.. so i think all was right.

What can i do now? I let it on power now

Thanks for help

Regards

update 1 ':  i couldnt wait an did it again with a break with at least 60 seconds ..and???.....taddaaaa

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr                                            ite Retries = 0000
User Partition Format   5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

:)))

so i think first step is done :) .. if now the data is accessable   i am happy

update 2:

data backuped and firmware update done - all is working fine .. and i am happy ..

thanks a lot guys for help

Cyb2017-06-09_2340.png.c9693edd8cc307d72ab81dc2d6c139ef.png

Edited by Cyberurmel

16 hours ago, Cyberurmel said:

update 1 ':  i couldnt wait an did it again with a break with at least 60 seconds ..and???.....taddaaaa

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr                                            ite Retries = 0000
User Partition Format   5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

:)))

so i think first step is done :) .. if now the data is accessable   i am happy

update 2:

data backuped and firmware update done - all is working fine .. and i am happy ..

Good :), that is what we call in jargon the "Bloubul's maneuvre" :w00t:

Happy of (yet another) happy bunny in the basket:

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I have an ST31000340AS 1TB drive. I can "spin down", remove paper, and spin up successfully, but when I get to the "F3 1>N1" command, I get "Unknown Diag Cmd Failure 12CC4". After this failure, I can successfully spin down the drive before removing power.

I was able to view the drive in Device Manager briefly, and found that the firmware is SX15 (not SD15 as the printed label indicated) like this:

1. I configured BIOS to allow hot swapping
  2. Did the spin down/remove paper/spin up procedure
  3. Connected the drive via SATA to motherboard
  4. Windows installed driver for the HDD
  5. Found the drive in Device Manager
  6. Viewed the Properties and found the firmware version written somewhere (forget where exactly) 

The drive did not have any volume information, and it did not stay mounted long. It disconnected after several minutes.

Regardless, after getting the 12CC4 error, I tried to do the "F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22" command. I got no response through the terminal, even after waiting for 2 HOURS. I tried "CTRL + Z" and it was unresponsive, so I did a power cycle. It still responds to the spin down/up procedure just fine, but I can't get past the N1 step and I'm afraid to try the m0,2,2,,,,,22 step again. :crazy:

Any advice?

P.S. - "F3 C>Q" also yields the "Unknown Diag Cmd Failure 12CC4" error.

Edited by rustyNISSAN

On 9/21/2013 at 7:03 PM, BFeely said:

I just found an answer to the dreaded 12CC4 error! My ST31000340AS bricked while I was installing an SSD in my PC, and I ran into the 12CC4 error when attempting to run the N1 command. Apparently the SX15 drives don't have the overlay to fix the firmware, but I stumbled upon a workaround:

Step 1: Download and burn the SD1A firmware update ISO from the Seagate website at http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/downloads/firmware/MooseDT-SD1A-3D4D-16-32MB.iso (download from http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/downloads/firmware/MooseDT-SD1A-2D-8-16-32MB.iso if you have a 500GB drive).

Step 2: Detach the PCB and put card stock under the head contacts.

Step 3: Attach the serial to TTL converter to the drive.

Step 4: Connect the drive to your PC's power supply.

Step 5: Wait for the drive to spin up then come to a complete stop.

Step 6: Open a terminal (38400 bps, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, no flow control)

Step 7: Press CTRL+Z.

Step 8: Enter /2 then press Enter.

Step 9: Enter Z then press Enter.

Step 10: If you get the LED error, disconnect the power and start from step 3. Make sure the motor comes to a complete stop before entering the Z command. If you get "Spin Down Complete" then continue to step 11.

Step 11: Remove the card stock from under the head contacts and reattach the circuit board.

Step 12: Enter H then press Enter.

Step 13: When "Spin Up Complete" appears, attach a SATA cable from your PC to the drive.

Step 14: Insert the firmware CD, reboot your PC (make sure the power does NOT cycle) and boot from the CD.

Step 15: Follow the instructions to update the firmware.

Step 16: Turn your PC off then on again.

Step 17: Back up all data from the now recovered drive then don't use the drive for anything important.

@BFeely, I noticed step 12 you suggest the "F3 2>H" command. Did you mean "F3 2>U" to spin up the drive? H is a command on the Head...

Has anyone else had luck with this method on an already bricked ST31000340AS with SX15 firmware?