The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

1 hour ago, smandurlo said:

I had several CC1H drivers and I can tell you none of them was really a BSY nor a LBA0. Trying to apply the fix I didn't get any files back and I can tell you I clearly listened that the sounds they made changed a lot. Something does happen and I am quite sure it is not something good.

I really don't feel comfortable to say that the probabilities of recovery are going to be reduce very little, but it is up to you to try or not. I am quite sure you will get nothing.

And this confirms how each situation/experience/report may well be different ...

... and unfortunately there are no certainties :(

jaclaz

14 hours ago, smandurlo said:

I had several CC1H drivers and I can tell you none of them was really a BSY nor a LBA0. Trying to apply the fix I didn't get any files back and I can tell you I clearly listened that the sounds they made changed a lot. Something does happen and I am quite sure it is not something good.

I really don't feel comfortable to say that the probabilities of recovery are going to be reduce very little, but it is up to you to try or not. I am quite sure you will get nothing.

smandurlo, thanks for your report about your experience with CC1H firmware.

I think this could be really bad news to me. In my case the problem seems to be exactly as described for BSY error.

How many CC1H drives did you have the opportunity to test? Did the characteristics of the problem were exactly the same for BSY error?

Did your hd's were 7200.11?

Is there a possibility that the commands are slightly different for CC1H? In this case, can I obtain them in some way?

I think I'll try the fix anyway and let's see what happens.

Edited by 6699

10 hours ago, dencorso said:

And that's why they feared Pelagius so much: he opened a window for hope!
Since then, one can always hope for the best, and give it a try, anyway.

Indeed, dencorso.

Hope is the only thing that has left to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello i need information on MY HD 160GB seagate

After the command F3 1> N1
I withdraw the power and wait 20 seconds I re-plug the cable
And I receive this strange message> InitiatedMarkPendingReallocateRequest for disc_lba

This freezers the terminal, Where is wrong? 

After this I enter with Crt command
After this I enter with  command CRTL+Z And I finish the process..
F3 T> I4,1,22
F3 T> m0,2,2,,,,22

Edited by mcsoba

Hi Jaclaz

Finally I managed Unlocked two HDDs 320GB and 160GB .. But The two processes have the same problem, i receive the messagem: ((No Phy: Staggered spin bypass)) what is wrong

Edited by mcsoba

The message "No Phy: Staggered Spin bypass" should have no relevance.

Now if you can recover your data, good :), then perform the Seagate tests, BOTH the Short and the Long ones, and if any of the two fail, the disk is no good (cannot and shouldn't be re-used).

jaclaz

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, BSker said:

This post helped me a lot to repair my Seagate Barracuda ES.2 HDD which had BSY issue similar to 7200.11 series so I would like to tell you what I did. I followed instructions of this video

Unfortunatelly what is sugested in this post doens't work with ES.2 series HDDs so I decided to buy this tool which claims (and seems) to work with all Seagate SATA HDDs.

I have this feeling that you are *somehow* astroturfing. :w00t::ph34r: but I will pretend that there is somehow a language barrier instead. :unsure:

This thread (the WHOLE thread, not any single post in it) is NOT about the ES.2, but ONLY about the 7200.11, and rather obviously it didn't help you.

I will repeat, in case you failed to read that it is ONLY for the 7200.11. (this info is written EVERYWHERE)

There is another thread with some info about ES.2 drives, which you may have found, and of course the video is about a tool consisting in a few bucks worth USB to TTL adapter, a small piece of plastic and a crappy "user friendly" interface to terminal that these nice greek guys - in their simplicity - sell for a mere EUR 56.99 apiece, without specifying how it won't work with ES.2 drives, simply because you won't have access to terminal, unless you briefly short two pads on the PCB:

In a nutshell:

1) the procedures described in this thread are for 7200.11 ONLY (NOT ES.2)
2) the video is about a 7200.11 (NOT ES.2)

So, if you decided to buy that tool, but you haven't actually used it to attempt recovery of an ES.2 drive, WHY did you post here? :dubbio:

jaclaz

So I just purchased http://www.ebay.com/itm/191972621801

I have a seagate stuck in the BSY mode. Now I'm attempting to do the loopback test however it isn't showing me any reply back for the RX at all. It's just blank. Would anyone have any suggestions would I'm doing wrong or missing here? I have the card stuck under the PCB just like the tutorial shows and everything but when it comes to the loopback test, it just doesn't want to co-operate.

For the loopback test you don't even need a hard disk, what has the presence or not of the card under the PCB to do with it? :unsure:

The loopback test is made by connecting the Rx and Tx together and sending some data to the (virtual) COM port and see if these data is echoed back correctly in terminal, to make sure that the adapter and the setup is correct BEFORE even touching the hard disk.

It is a rare occasion (but it can happen) that the adapter is simply not working (DOA or Dead On Arrival), and as well even if the setup is usually very simple, it can happen that the device driver or however *soomething* in the OS is improperly set and makes it not functional. In your profile you state you are using a Windows 10, mybe that is part of the problem, ideally these instructions are (were) intended for a computer running XP (that has somehow a more direct/less complicated access to hardware) though it has also been used successfully with 7 (using a Terminal tool and - I believe - with no UAC and/or with Administrator credentials) so it may work fine in 10 or it may not. :dubbio:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

11 hours ago, jaclaz said:

For the loopback test you don't even need a hard disk, what has the presence or not of the card under the PCB to do with it? :unsure:

The loopback test is made by connecting the Rx and Tx together and sending some data to the (virtual) COM port and see if these data is echoed back correctly in terminal, to make sure that the adapter and the setup is correct BEFORE even touching the hard disk.

It is a rare occasion (but it can happen) that the adapter is simply not working (DOA or Dead On Arrival), and as well even if the setup is usually very simple, it can happen that the device driver or however *soomething* in the OS is improperly set and makes it not functional. In your profile you state you are using a Windows 10, mybe that is part of the problem, ideally these instructions are (were) intended for a computer running XP (that has somehow a more direct/less complicated access to hardware) though it has also been used successfully with 7 (using a Terminal tool and - I believe - with no UAC and/or with Administrator credentials) so it may work fine in 10 or it may not. :dubbio:

jaclaz

So good news on this front. I found a little jumper to connect the rx and tx, that worked just fine in the loopback test so it leads me to believe it's probably one of the wires that came with the kit that connects to the usb to ttl adapter to the hard drive jumper pins that's probably faulty. I have hope yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

i think i have now also this d*** bug with my 500 GB Seagate 7200.11 . As i recognized a blue screen (pc was on power the night) next day no sata detection for this drive. But i hear its working as normal with power.

Checked all with other pc and so on. Same behaviour. So last way for me is to check the BSY issue. I would purchase such adapters like you said.. but why are the pictures are not seen anymore for me?? It would be a great help as i am not really doing often such thinks. :)

So do you think its worth and someone can help me ?

Thanks and Regards

4 hours ago, Cyberurmel said:

Hi all,

i think i have now also this d*** bug with my 500 GB Seagate 7200.11 . As i recognized a blue screen (pc was on power the night) next day no sata detection for this drive. But i hear its working as normal with power.

Checked all with other pc and so on. Same behaviour. So last way for me is to check the BSY issue. I would purchase such adapters like you said.. but why are the pictures are not seen anymore for me?? It would be a great help as i am not really doing often such thinks. :)

So do you think its worth and someone can help me ?

Thanks and Regards

Pictures were most probably hosted here and there and they are not available anymore, expired hosting or whatever :(.

But you can still read the READ ME FIRST and the FGA's (that never had images) and download the PDF (with images) of the guide by CarterinCanada:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read_me_first/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/147532-fga-for-the-seagate-720011-drives/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/133387-debricking-the-seagate-drives/

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=38656

And don't worry, as long as your issue is one of the two we have some experience with, BSY or LBA0, it is not that difficult, and even if you find any difficulties, someone will try and help you with them.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi Jaclaz ,

thanks - i will read that content .. also i already purchased a usb stick to navigate in the HDD. (a  recommended one sure)

Hope i will get luck and it will let me have access to the data soon :)

greetings

Cyber