The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

1 hour ago, coplan27 said:

@Prathamesh Rane

Sorry for you. As far as I know there is no solutions for 7200.12. Don't try using 7200.11 method ! You'll kill your disk.

Just so you know, we do have a couple of "solutions", what we miss are some confirmations AND some PROPER diagnosing of the problems.

The issue here is that the 7200.11 failed in great quantities and went to either BSY or LBA0 for a known reason.

By pure chance a number of 7200.11 went as well into BSY or LBA0 for a similar reason.

Here it is described a "cure" for certain symptoms (the BSY or the LBA0) of the 7200.11's and we know that like 95% or more of bricked 7200.11's were bricked by the same illness (which the "cure" is suited for).

There are a few - actually "vague" or "unconfirmed" - reports about the same (or very similar) set of commands used for the 7200.11's do work for the 7200.12 BUT the issue is that we don't know how many bricked 7200.12 are bricked for the same (or similar) reasons why the 7200.11's bricked themselves, as such it is risky to use a "cure" for an unknown illness:
http://computersciencelabs.blogspot.it/2011/02/seagate-720012-sim-error-firmware-fault.html

jaclaz

OK jaclaz.

A few numeber of 7200.12 in the early production had a similar pcb similar of 7200.11's. The 7200.11's method could be applied but quite unsuccessfully.

After that the pcb's and firmware were modified. The solution did not worked any more.

We experiment this here in Europe. A great number of 7200.11 was unbricked succefully, but quite none of 7200.12 series. The same fore the folowing series as 7200.14.

Edited by coplan27

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, so the other day I turned my pc on and I got this message" Reboot and select proper boot device" I tried restarting a few times and nothing. I checked the bios and my drive did not show up. I figured something was wrong with the drive so just to make sure I bought an external hard drive enclosure plugged it into another computer and nothing happens as far as the pc recognizing the drive. When I turn it on it starts spinning and at about 12-13 seconds you will hear it makes a "err" noise. I recorded it so you guys can take a listen maybe you have heard it before.

The noise in the beginning is me just placing my camera on the enclosure. Any help would be very much appreciated. For anyone who has had the firmware problem with their seagate barracuda 7200.11 500gb does mine sound similar to yours? My drive does not make any clicking sounds it keeps spinning. I opened up the drive in a clean environment and nothing looks out of place nothing is scratched I also didn't power it on without the cover on it ect.

Edited by overflod

The fact that it is NOT clicking is actually good news.

Opening the drive is about the silliest thing you could have done, however. :w00t::ph34r:

No matter how "clean" was the environment you actually opened that disk drive, it is doomed.

No idea about the "err" noise, but is it in status:

1) LBA0 or BSY <- you are in the right place and it usually can be fixed following instructions
2) Something else <- you are in the wrong place

The opening of the drive may have well made it completely unrecoverable, even if it is in one of the two cases this thread is about (LBA0 or BSY).

jaclaz

My environment was so clean the hard drive actually enjoyed getting some fresh air lol. I fixed the problem and backed up all my stuff right away. Only thing that sucks is I had an 80gig hard drive laying around and since my problem hard drive was the only one in my pc at the time I had to load windows on the 80 gig to fix the 500gb problem drive meaning windows doesn't work on the 500gb like it did but I have all my files which i'm very happy about. :D:cool: Also just to clarify I did not use the method in this thread because I didn't have the time to get all the materials I used the FW-FXR Seagate Barracuda firmware fix kit worked like a charm.

Well, what do you think the thing you used (that you can get for around 30 US$) actually does (in a nice, easy, and hopefully foolproof way) ?

This tool kit solves the following two common firmware related issues of these HDDs

0 LBA error: it happens when your BIOS can recognize your HDD at POST moment, but as an 0MB drive.
BSY error: it happens when your HDD enter on a halt state, or BuSY state. In this condition, your HDD will not be recognized by BIOS at POST moment.

Rest assured, you used EXACTLY the method(s) in this thread, nicely packaged in a more friendly kit.

Anyway, all is well that ends well. :)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 5 months later...

Hi. There is a problem with my Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5tb ST31500341AS that is exactly as the infamous BSY error described by Gradius2 who made this topic.

At this moment I have nearly 1.3 tb of inaccessible data because of this issue.

I know that maybe the topic is a little outdated but I really need some useful information about one question.

I've read all the main topic steps and it seems that worked for a lot of people who tried. I'll have no problem to obtain the adapter and to do all the procedures.

The main question to me is related to the firmware version.

My Seagate has the CC1H firmware. It isn't the SD's firmware versions that had been the main targets for the users of this successfull method.

Can I use this method with CC1H firmware and suceed?

Can someone with knowledge could help me with this doubt?

I'm a little desperate because I need to know what are the possibilities in this case.

1 hour ago, 6699 said:

Hi. There is a problem with my Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5tb ST31500341AS that is exactly as the infamous BSY error described by Gradius2 who made this topic.

At this moment I have nearly 1.3 tb of inaccessible data because of this issue.

I know that maybe the topic is a little outdated but I really need some useful information about one question.

I've read all the main topic steps and it seems that worked for a lot of people who tried. I'll have no problem to obtain the adapter and to do all the procedures.

The main question to me is related to the firmware version.

My Seagate has the CC1H firmware. It isn't the SD's firmware versions that had been the main targets for the users of this successfull method.

Can I use this method with CC1H firmware and suceed?

Can someone with knowledge could help me with this doubt?

I'm a little desperate because I need to know what are the possibilities in this case.

Check also the ReadMeFirst and the FGA's:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read_me_first/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/147532-fga-for-the-seagate-720011-drives/

Basically the BSY is a symptom which - at the time - was caused often by a bug in a given firmware revision, there may be tens of reason why the same symptom appears on that same or another firmware revision.

The "fix" is to be considered more as a sort of "generic reset"  than anything else, the idea is that - for whatever reasons - at power on the disk drive enters a sort of loop and through the procedure you attempt to force it to exit that loop.

It is hard to say what the probabilities of success are in your case (or in any other case), as to actually diagnose what the cause of the BSY is there is the need of tools (and knowledge) well outside the reach of "hobbyists".

The good news are that the risk of further reducing the probabilities of recovery by applying the reset are - from the reports - very little, i.e. if the procedure is applied correctly in the worst case it won't solve the problem, but it shouldn't "damage" the disk drive, a professional with the right tools and knowledge should manage to recover the same amount of data (if data is recoverable) no matter if he/she is given the drive now or after a failed attempt to resolve the BSY status.

Still data is important, d@mn important, so it is only up to you to judge if the attempt should be made, I can offer no guarantees whatsoever.

jaclaz

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Check also the ReadMeFirst and the FGA's:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read_me_first/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/147532-fga-for-the-seagate-720011-drives/

Basically the BSY is a symptom which - at the time - was caused often by a bug in a given firmware revision, there may be tens of reason why the same symptom appears on that same or another firmware revision.

The "fix" is to be considered more as a sort of "generic reset"  than anything else, the idea is that - for whatever reasons - at power on the disk drive enters a sort of loop and through the procedure you attempt to force it to exit that loop.

It is hard to say what the probabilities of success are in your case (or in any other case), as to actually diagnose what the cause of the BSY is there is the need of tools (and knowledge) well outside the reach of "hobbyists".

The good news are that the risk of further reducing the probabilities of recovery by applying the reset are - from the reports - very little, i.e. if the procedure is applied correctly in the worst case it won't solve the problem, but it shouldn't "damage" the disk drive, a professional with the right tools and knowledge should manage to recover the same amount of data (if data is recoverable) no matter if he/she is given the drive now or after a failed attempt to resolve the BSY status.

Still data is important, d@mn important, so it is only up to you to judge if the attempt should be made, I can offer no guarantees whatsoever.

jaclaz

jaclaz, firstly, thanks for your attention.

I've been reading the topic and some of it's many pages carefully. It's a lot more comfortable to try it knowing that the risk of permanent loss is not significant.

The fact that the "fix" is a nonspecific sort of "generic" attempt to help with the BSY error gives me a lot more hope because I think there's the possibility to

work with different firmwares versions.

Do you think the power on/off step is it really necessary? This specific step let me a bit concerned. Is it possibile to skip it and proceed normally?

Do you know what is the intent behind this step? Did you have the opportunity to test the method and it's particularities in some hd's?

I totally agree with you. Some deep analysis could only be possible with some some profound knowledge. So, could be acceptable to take some

minimal risks if the chances are good, but I'm still considering, trying to do research and reading a lot.

Professional recovery methods are too much expensive, so there aren't many options to me.

Maybe next time I should invest in some backup solutions just to prevent these situations.

Edited by 6699

29 minutes ago, 6699 said:

Do you think the power on/off step is it really necessary? This specific step let me a bit concerned. Is it possibile to skip it and proceed normally?

At the time it was debated, as there were contrasting reports, personally I would do it, it is not particularly difficult or problematic (the tricky part is making contact with the board powered on when removing the insulating strip).

Compare with what is in the actually recommended  guide:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/133387-debricking-the-seagate-drives/

At this point, many say you need to disconnect the SATA power cable from the drive and 
wait one minute. Yes, count to sixty. Then plug the SATA power cable back into the drive. 
There is a bit of debate about this step in the forums but that is what I did and it worked fine 
in my case. *IF and only if* you choose not to disconnect drive power temporarily, you 
need to at least change back to the test level prompt (type F3 1>/T (enter)) at this point 
before continuing.

jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

At the time it was debated, as there were contrasting reports, personally I would do it, it is not particularly difficult or problematic (the tricky part is making contact with the board powered on when removing the insulating strip).

Compare with what is in the actually recommended  guide:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/133387-debricking-the-seagate-drives/

jaclaz

Thanks a lot, jaclaz.

A really good guide by CarterInCanada. Seems to be the best choice to follow. It was very enlightening.

My concern was about the CC1H firmware, but since I have exactly the same problem described and I have 7200.11, I think I'll really try the fix.

I think there's a chance to recover my data. Firstly I'll get an adapter and make shure that I have all the tools and conditions to perform the procedures. 

Certainly I'll post the results here in a few weeks.

Thanks for the links and the tips.

I had several CC1H drivers and I can tell you none of them was really a BSY nor a LBA0. Trying to apply the fix I didn't get any files back and I can tell you I clearly listened that the sounds they made changed a lot. Something does happen and I am quite sure it is not something good.

I really don't feel comfortable to say that the probabilities of recovery are going to be reduce very little, but it is up to you to try or not. I am quite sure you will get nothing.