The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Which EXACT set of instructions?

Which EXACT USB (or serial) to TTL converter?

"Seems" or "is" in BSY state?

Check and make sure:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/129263-instructions-for-checking-if-your-drive-is-set-to-busy-state/

In case of doubt, FORGET anything you have read ANYWHERE and ONLY try following CarterInCanada´s guide:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/133387-debricking-the-seagate-drives/

jaclaz

Hi everyone :)
well I´ve an problem with my Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (ST3100033AS Firmware: SD35 (YES I`D SHOULD UPDATE IT BUT THIS IS AN OTHER CASE :D)),
before I´ll tell u my problem we go a bit back in the past (this makes sense), however I´d in last summer a firmware problem with my HD (it´s the same hard drive).
So as an guy who always look at the INTERNET and see if there any solutions for this problem, I´d found this forum and many Tips and Tricks and was enable to FIX the disk,
now may in time I´ve now a new problem first the syndrome of the hard disk. If I put it in to my PC or on a USB port it´s starting but it´s stay in busy mode (it´s always running) but on PC nothing happen, so I´d got an Tool form Seagate and checked out what it´s could be, after a few test runs I´d got the result, that the HD haves an pass error.
So I´d tried to fix it as in the past without any succeed, I´d tried it about 10x times. So as an good PC guy I´d make me notice form the errors, in the hope anyone can help me to fix it and bring the HD back in life.
Thank u for reading and also for ur help :)
Cheers
Black

Here the first log (Fixing 0 LBA error method)

Rst 0x20M
(P) SATA Reset
 PASSPackage Verified
No Phy: Staggered spin bypass
ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format   3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs
WriteCapInfo
Selection = 0000 CurrentCap 74706DB0 HDACap 74706DB0
No update: HDA EQ Current
CurrentHDA 74706DB0 HDACap 74706DB0 NativeCap 74706DB0 48BitCap 74706DB0 28BitCa
p 0FFFFFFF
NO Save
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs
Zone re-format was skipped.

#2 (Fixing BSY or CC errors aka BUSY)

Rst 0x20M
ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.127 msecs
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 8.633 secs
F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>
Rst 0x20M
ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,22

Invalid Diag Cmd Parameter

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format   3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs
Zone re-format was skipped.
F3 T>

ps.: I´d also tried the G-List step command and the reset (F,,22) command without any succeed!

Edited by F4FBlack

• 4 weeks later...

I have an ST3500320AS that recently locked itself in the BSY state. When connecting a USB to TTL device up as detailed in this thread, I get this message from the drive 'LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051' which as I have read indicates the BSY state.

I cannot get it to give a prompt to enter any command, I have tried with the pcb on the drive, completely removed from the drive, with some card between the pcb and the motor connection, and with some card between the pcb and the heads connection.

I am using GTKterm on Ubuntu 14.04 with an FTDI Friend from Adafruit and am powering it with a power supply from a SATA to USB adapter.

Edited by Dr Claw

Setup the TTL device with the settings provided, connected the GND, TX, and RX wires, powered up the hard drive and waited for it to startup (waited from a few seconds to a few minutes over various attempts), then tried hitting CTRL-Z to bring up the prompt and got nothing. 

I don't know GTKterm well, or any other terminal software so I can't be sure that CTRL-Z has the same functionality as it does in HyperTerminal.

I don't know GTKterm well, or any other terminal software so I can't be sure that CTRL-Z has the same functionality as it does in HyperTerminal.

It is possible that the issue lies in there :unsure:, you don't have the possibility to run hyperterminal or Putty (which are both know to be working)?

jaclaz

I have tried with Putty, and am getting the same results. If the pcb is connected to the heads and the motor I see the 'LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051' message, if I disconnect it from both or either of those with some card then I see nothing and CTRL-Z does nothing.

I have tried with Putty, and am getting the same results. If the pcb is connected to the heads and the motor I see the 'LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051' message, if I disconnect it from both or either of those with some card then I see nothing and CTRL-Z does nothing.

Well, this is "normal", in the sense that the PCB is disconnected exactly to avoid the 'LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051' "loop".

It seemed to me from your previous posts like you had that loop both when the PCB was connected and disconnected, which was "queer". :w00t:

The CTRL+Z not working might mean that the issue is in either the connection of the Tx (as seen from the converter side) or of a non working/non suitable converter, everything is grounded together, right?

I seem to remember people having timing issues (like issueing the CTRL+Z too fast or too slow) but you mentioned trying with different delays, disn't you?

What remains if the above are nto the cases might be a (partially) damaged PCB, but it would be a rare case.

Your next attempt should be to procure a similar hard disk and verify that your tools work on it. :(

jaclaz

I had a Seagate Baracuda 1TB 7200.11 HDD which one day wouldn't be recognised on BIOS or load windows at all. I found out that these drives have this firmware bug and after doing a quick search I found this complete FW-FXR kit on youtube

which repaired my drive in less than 30 minutes. I also repaired a couple of friends drives with it and even got a small profit out of it :)

Yes there are cheaper solutions like what is mentioned here but I found it safer for my data to spend 25Euro for this kit (which also include click by click repair software) than to buy random adapters and try to decode messages....

I bought mine from Amazon but it is also avaliable on ebay.

Yes there are cheaper solutions like what is mentioned here but I found it safer for my data to spend 25Euro for this kit (which also include click by click repair software) than to buy random adapters and try to decode messages....

I bought mine from Amazon but it is also avaliable on ebay.

In an nutshell you are advertising this specific adapter because you are happy :) and proud :w00t: to have spent like 3 to  5 (three to five) times what is the normal cost of one of one of the cheap but still perfectly working adapters ? :ph34r:

However, JFYI, the nice Greek guys that sell them had just rebated them on e-bay to US $23.99 (from the original US $29.99), possibly because of the exceptional success of the initiative, having sold 21 of them and with only 6 left to go :whistle: though of course the research and development costs :unsure: on this product which arrives on the market a mere 6 (six) years after all the rest of the world have started fixing with success these drives through "an unclear solution that you read on some forum with a cheap adapter from China" (their words, not mine):

Repairing the firmware bug is a real hardware proccess and many things can go wrong resulting to permanent damage if you make a mistake or if you use the wrong tool. Don't risk your drive and data by trying an unclear solution that you read on some forum with a cheap adapter from China.

must be compensated somehow, but advertising that product  here, on the home of the "unclear solution"

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I also encounter the same problem on my record ST3500620AS, the fact is that I order the module PL2303HX USB-RS232-TTL cable ebay, the fact is I've seen the video tutorial friend Mac-Tec, and see that the process is done with a program, so I wanted to know if obtainable. I thank you in advance for the help you can give me.
a greeting

Hello, I also encounter the same problem on my record ST3500620AS, the fact is that I order the module PL2303HX USB-RS232-TTL cable ebay, the fact is I've seen the video tutorial friend Mac-Tec, and see that the process is done with a program, so I wanted to know if obtainable. I thank you in advance for the help you can give me.

a greeting

What is a problem?

Issues with English? :unsure:

Here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128906-reparacion-del-st3500320as-sd15-en-español/

jaclaz

Sorry I do not speak English, use a translator. Friend the link in Spanish is closed.
Here you can not help me, and tell me the name of the software.

greetings to you

There is no "particular" software.

Hyperterminal or Putty are used as terminal to send commands.

Or - maybe - you mean a driver for the USB converter? :unsure:

Here:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41

IMPORTANT:

Call a friend who speaks and can understand English and ask him for help, this is tricky business, DO NOT use an automatic translator, you NEED to understand the procedure in detail before attempting it. 

[pseudo-Spanish]

ADVERTENCIA

Llama a un amigo que habla y puede entender Inglés y pedirle ayuda, esto es un negocio complicado, NO use un traductor automático, es necesario comprender el procedimiento en detalle antes de intentarlo.

[/pseudo-Spanish]

More Spanish resources:

http://latecladeescape.com/t/El+error+BSY+en+un+disco+duro+Seagate+Barracuda+7200.11

https://hard2bit.com/blog/solucion-a-los-seagate-con-firmware-sd15-que-han-dejado-de-ser-reconocidos-por-el-pc/

jaclaz