The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I've just managed to recover my Stupid Barracuda 7200.11 HDD.  I used the USB to RS232 TTL converter I bought from the following ebay link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131175999976?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It costs only US$1.72, but took about 7 weeks to be shipped from Hong Kong to Singapore.

The cable works perfectly when I did the loop test by shorting the green and white color cable.

To connect to the HDD, I need to remove the black casing at the end of the cables, and covered it with insulative tapes individually.  After that I followed the instructions and connect it to the HDD.  Initially, it cannot communicate -> no respond after entering CTRL-z at the hyperterminal.  Then, I swapped the green and white cable, also did not respond.  I noticed the metal end of the cable could be too loose to have a good contact with the HDD pins.  I then used a plier to make the metal sleeve narrower to ensure good contact when plug in.  After this, it responded when I type CTRL-z.

I used the Avico procedures but without the optional codes initially.  After the last instruction (m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22), there was no message return after waiting for more than 10 minutes. 

I then, power off the HDD. and repeat the procedures from the beginning (including removing the screws and re-inserting an anti-static plastic in between the PCB and heads connector).  This time, I used the optional part and after typing the last instruction, it immediately return the Max Wr Retires = 00, Max Rd .......... message.  Great !

I am now able to get back all the data and will update the Firmware.

Thanks to all the contributors in this forum !

Edited by swc2008

Hey guys!

After attempting to fix my drive, it shows up in bios and windows with the correct capacity. Unfortunately it doesn't respond when I try to open up my drive in Windows. It also takes about 15 min to boot up windows. When I doubleclick my computer, it doesn't respond unless I detach my drive from the computer. I attached the hd internally.

ST3750330AS is my hd with firmware SD35

Windows 8.1 x64

Does anybody have any suggestions as what to do next?

Ok so slightly different topic here....I have used this method to fix numerous drives for myself and others....now I have a Seagate SAS drive that is having issues.  I tried using my connector that I used for the SATA drives but when I pull up PuTTY, I am not getting any response in the terminal.  I know the connector I have still functions because I am able to use it with SATA drives still just fine.  Does anyone know if the Pin-Out for Tx-Rx is different for the Barracuda SAS drives, or is there a different set of variables in PuTTY that I need to use?  Or is there some other solution altogether?  Or is it just not possible?

I have looked online everywhere, and no one seems to have a straight answer for this.  The drive is out of warranty and I just want to know if getting it back online is even possible or if this is going to be a straight data recovery center issue.  If the good folks here can tell me if this can even be done for this type of drive or not, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.

Hello,

I am using a modified DKU-5 cable with correctly marked RX,TX and GND pins. I have used this cable earlier for my hard disk recoveries for seagate ST31000xxxAS 7200.11 (1TB).

The disk is now showing the same behavior of having clicking noise immediately after power up. The heads move to the platters and park back. I guess this is the famous BSY error.

I have performed recoveries of the similar sort with the same cable, but somehow this time it is not working. I have carefully followed all the steps mentioned in different guides everywhere and especially on this forum.

1. I am covering the motor head contacts (3 pins) with card stack paper.

2. I have checked the DKU-5 cable drivers on Windows XP (USB to UART).

3. The hyperterminal connection starts with the connection rate baud settings.

4. Any characters typed in the hyperterminal window do not appear , unless i connect the Rx ad Tx wires which ensures working connection and loopback test.

5. When i connect the cable to the correct pins on the harddisk, the loopback does not work, in a power down state, which means that the cables pins are not touching each other.

6. Whenever I power on the drive (using an external sata disk enclosure by Sarotech), the disk powers on and stays quite because i have isolated the motor contacts.

7. However after waiting for around 10-15 sec when I open the hyperterminal session and send the Ctrl+Z command , I always see a right hand side arrow symbol being show in the window. It is the symbol for ctrl+z (which means undo I guess). Hence the actual F3T/> prompt never comes.

8. If i power off the drive, then I cannot see the right arrow symbol.

9. Based on this behavior I feel that the maybe the PCB is shorted, since when power up , it only connects the cable Tx and Rx pins.

10. Finding an exact replacement PCB is a herculean task, plus I assume that it simply does not work by swapping the PCB.,

11. I dont have and cannot afford expensive recovery services. I only have once service provider in sight, who has the Atola or PC-3000 appratus for recoveries. Is it possible to extract data from such a driver using the PC-3000.

12. Is it possible to try it out with another cable and power supply, maybe the power supplied to the PCB isnt enough, although on visual inspection it does not look fried or having any over voltage damages done to it.

Am i correct in my diagnosis , any further ray of hope and guidance would be highly thanked for.

Thanks.

Can Someone Please tell me what is the exact position of the TX , RX pins on the HDD.

The photos in the original first post of this thread are removed and deleted

Reading these two websites, the RX TX pins are marked oppositey : which is the correct one ?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5DyuVvuODctc2R4bDJJT19rMDQ/edit

https://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/

Although i did try every possible way of fixing the connectors, all I get I a right hand side arrow in the hyperterminal window, which means maybe the PCB is shorted, no success  :-( and no luck till now.

Can Someone Please tell me what is the exact position of the TX , RX pins on the HDD.

The photos in the original first post of this thread are removed and deleted

Reading these two websites, the RX TX pins are marked oppositey : which is the correct one ?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5DyuVvuODctc2R4bDJJT19rMDQ/edit

https://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/

Sure we can tell you :), though it won't really help you since most probably you don't know which one is the Tx and which one is the Rx on the DKU-5 cable, and even if you know, you have anyway a 50% probability of having them wrong, as the marking of Tx and Rx can be interpreted (and may have been applied) in both ways :w00t:.

However the suggested guide is this one:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/133387-debricking-the-seagate-drives/

(that does contain a correct picture with the ID of the terminals)

Get the attached PDF, as the original guide page is now defunct.

BTW the same guide is ALSO attached to FGA topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/147532-fga-for-the-seagate-720011-drives/

and the trick is always, if it doesn't work, to try reverting the Tx and Rx.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

After attempting to fix my drive, it shows up in bios and windows with the correct capacity. Unfortunately it doesn't respond when I try to open up my drive in Windows.

Does anybody have any suggestions as what to do next?

Start a new thread, you are likely in a situation similar to this one:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/145574-seagate-750gb-one-partition-is-raw-after-bsy-fix/

and there is the need to fix/recreate the MBR partition table or however attempt to recover the data from it, though it is as well possible that there is an underlying physical issue as in here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170881-seagate-720011-malediction/

that cannot be fixed DIY.

(in any case the drive is NOT anymore "bricked" and it does NOT anymore belong to this thread).

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

In my case a 

ST32000350AS

The Drive spins down after a few seconds by it self, even if I don't disconnect the PCB from the head controller.

What I have done:

F3 T>/2 <Enter>

F3 2>Z <Wait a few seconds after drive spins down by it self than hit enter>

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 12.293 secs
F3 2>U <Enter>

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008 
Spin Error
Elapsed Time 33.919 secs 
R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

The result is always the same, if I disconnect PCB before or not!

After cleaning hasn't work I have finally opened up the drive to see this:

post-400837-0-18319000-1418852856_thumb.
There tow rings on the disk, one exactly at the parking position, one a bit bigger a few millimeters away. When I start the HDD with open case you see the head clicking back and forth a few times and than stopping at the outer ring!

Is there anything I can do?
Edited by adromeda

After cleaning hasn't work I have finally opened up the drive to see this:

attachicon.gif2014-12-17-22h32m02s209_.png

There tow rings on the disk, one exactly at the parking position, one a bit bigger a few millimeters away. When I start the HDD with open case you see the head clicking back and forth a few times and than stopping at the outer ring!

Is there anything I can do?

Not anymore, by opening the drive you have killed it. Drives should ONLY be opened in a clean room and should NEVER be started open... That drive has @ 98% chance of never working again...

@WPI Guru

This wasn't the question.

You don't know if this is a clean room or not, so please don't judge.

Yes, he knows. :yes: (and his name - difficult as it may seem - is Kelsenellenelvian)

You see :), people that do have a proper "clean room" (which is what you see on the ads and that actually is a "laminar flow hood") do not post these questions or do not post them here on MSFN.ORG.

The questionis what are the chance with this already existing problem?+---

Good :thumbup, and the answer is 42.00% (give or take a measuring error of +/- 0.2%)

jaclaz

I agree with jaclaz also before opening you disk there likely was a good chance of fixing it. Your impatience has ruined it though.

Unless you were wearing proper gear that covered your arms, hands, head and face and in a actual ( read as a ACTUAL) clean room that disk has been murdered.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/715/142/f6c.jpg

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

The reflection of your ceiling in the platters gave the non clean room existence away. Those ceilings slough crap off constantly .

How do you know? :unsure:

I spray my ceilings with high resistance glue once a week ;).

jaclaz

I have experimented on Disk Drives before in this room. And to say it is a 98% chance to brake things is just wrong. I have tow drives  who have been completely  overwritten several times - after opening them! 256GB & 512GB

There is in most HDDs a mechanism to catch dust particles before they become a danger!

It is not that I have important Data on does Drives, but they are o.k. And is it wrong to say you open a HDD in an „non clean room“ and it instantly kills the drive! Even if this ceiling here has drooped some dust on it, most likely it will do nothing! 

I just would like to know why there would be high chance to fix this drive, when there are already some trails on the disk. How could this be?
And when I would want try, what should I do?