The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Is it possible that the serial port in this drive is different from the 7200.11? It has 4 pins and I'm assuming it is [-unused- | GRND | RX | TX].

Well, if it is different from a 7200.11:

1. the 7200.11 "fix" will NOT likely work
  2. this thread which is for 7200.11 ONLY is not the right place to ask questions about a non-7200.11

To this you add two a few changes from the "known" paths/methods, the use of MacOSX, the use of Minicom (whatever it is), an unspeciified USB/TTL adapter and clearly you are not using the Windows Terminal.

Verify it is a 7200.11 with model ending in AS.

If it is not one, start a new thread about your issue, after having checked for other existing threads (there is one about the 7200.12 and one about the ES.2 or NS version of the 7200.11) but YMMGV, there is a concrete risk that you might trying to apply either the "wrong" cure to the "right" disease or the "right" cure to the "wrong" disease.

Double check with point #1 of the read-me-first:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

jaclaz

I understand the differences, the thing is that I have spent hours searching for a fix for my HD model, but apparently no one ever had this problem, so my last chance is to try the 7200.11 fix. If it doesn't work I'm throwing the disk out. Being it a Seagate, I think I can at least try the spin down command.

My USB/TTL is working fine, Minicom is just a version of the Hyperterminal for Mac.

At the moment I just need to find out which pin is which on the serial port of the HD. Just figured this was a better thread, even if for a different model, since the problem is related.

Thanks for replying.

Edited by busyhd

At the moment I just need to find out which pin is which on the serial port of the HD. Just figured this was a better thread, even if for a different model, since the problem is related.

Thanks for replying.

1. The pins are the same for most Seagate models, that is NOT the issue. :)
  2. The parameters of the serial transmission may be different depending on model. :unsure:
  3. There is NO evidence whatsoever that your USB/TTL adapter is of the "suitable kind". :w00t: The fact that it works in a loopback doesn't mean that it doesn't use the "wrong" TTL levels.  :ph34r:
  4. PLEASE, STOP posting on this UNRELATED to your issue thread and start a NEW THREAD if you want assistance with your issue (which is NOT related to a 7200.11 and DOES NOT belong to this thread). :realmad:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

@jaclaz & @CarterInCanada:

I took the liberty, even if belatedly, to attach another copy of the full downloadable .pdf version of CarterInCanada's unbricking guide to the end of BlouBul's FGA sticky, therefore creating a second, independent, place it can be downloaded from... just because I don't quite trust the cloud (Google's or not) at all. :D

@jaclaz & @CarterInCanada:

I took the liberty, even if belatedly, to attach another copy of the full downloadable .pdf version of CarterInCanada's unbricking guide to the end of BlouBul's FGA sticky, therefore creating a second, independent, place it can be downloaded from... just because I don't quite trust the cloud (Google's or not) at all. :D

Very good. :)

If you could also update the sticky here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/133387-debricking-the-seagate-drives/

It would be perfect. :thumbup

jaclaz

WriteCapInfo           

Selection = 0000 CurrentCap 74706DB0 HDACap 74706DB0                                                   

No update: HDA EQ Current                        

CurrentHDA 74706DB0 HDACap 74706DB0 NativeCap 74706DB0 48BitCap 00000001 28BitCap 00000001         

NO Save      

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs                                                             

Zone re-format was skipped.                          

F3 T>

This is the part that "sounds" very different from previous experience.

At first sight, it seems like *something* *somehow* changed the drive map, putting a "Cap" on it. :unsure:

You can *try* (of course with NO guarantees whatsoever) to reset the drive to deafult values with a F,,22 :ph34r:, but really cannot say if it can be of any use.

Read around here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/?p=985252

AND given link:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-19#entry832570

@Mrich0908

Nice to know :yes:, but of course *anything* that can send/receive TTL (at the right "low" TLL level) would do, usually people "playing" with Arduino's also have one or more suitable USB to TTL or Serial to TTL converters, and - more than that - they usually know how to interface things successfully, so I am not surprised that it wasn't mentioned before as posters on this thread - usually - post here looking for help/support as they are not familiar with the matter, while most people knowing where their towel is will simply run the commands an unbrick the drive, without ever posting about their experience.

Thanks for sharing it :).

jaclaz

Thank you for help!

I tried command, according to description.

I received the following response from the Hyperterminal:

Rst 0x20M        

ASCII Diag mode              

F3 T>/2      

F3 2>Z     

LED:000000CE FAddr:0025DF1F                          

Rst 0x20M        

ASCII Diag mode              

F3 T>/2      

F3 2>Z     

Spin Down Complete                 

Elapsed Time 0.131 msecs                       

F3 2>U     

Spin Up Complete               

Elapsed Time 8.900 secs                      

F3 2>/     

F3 T>F,,22         

Drive Configuration restored to defaults.                                        

RAW OFF      

RWSWD-OptChange: Ctrl 0001 Dvgas 0008 Rvgas 0008 Fvgas 0008 SumOf 0008                                                                     

WriteCapInfo           

Selection = 0000 CurrentCap 00000000 HDACap 74706DB0                                                   

Update Cap and Save                  

CurrentHDA 74706DB0 HDACap 74706DB0 NativeCap 74706DB0 48BitCap 74706DB0 28BitCap 0FFFFFFF        

SaveCapInfo          

(P) SATA Reset             

PASSPackage Verified

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22                     

ţ

Rst 0x20M        

(P) SATA Reset             

PASSPackage Verified                    

ReadCap successful - set 48Bit <- Current = 74706DB0 RWSWD-OptChange: Ctrl 0001 D                                                                               

vgas 0008 Rvgas 0008 Fvgas 0008 SumOf 0008                                         

(P) SATA Reset             

Package Verified               

No Phy: Staggered spin bypass                            

ASCII Diag mode              

F3 T>    

After that, the real size was visual n the BIOS. However in the windows it was still in "not initialized" state, the contents (data) are not visual.

Than I connected the HDD to the adapter again, than when I opened the hyperterminal I got the following message:

Rst 0x20M        

(P) SATA Reset             

PASSPackage Verified                    

ReadCap successful - set 48Bit <- Current = 74706DB0 RWSWD-OptChange: Ctrl 0001 Dvgas 0008 Rvgas 0008 Fvgas 0008 SumOf 0008                                         

(P) SATA Reset             

Package Verified               

No Phy: Staggered spin bypass                            

ASCII Diag mode              

F3 T>

Earlier I have not seen this message:  "No Phy: Staggered Spin bypass"

How can I save the datas?

After that, the real size was visual n the BIOS. However in the windows it was still in "not initialized" state, the contents (data) are not visual.

If the disk is seen in BIOS with it's real size, and it is seen in disk manager as "uninitialized disk" your next step would be to attempt making a "dd-like" or "forensic sound" image.

You will need a larger HD formatted in NTFS to host the image, or a same size or bigger to make a clone.

And the use of ddrescue (under Linux - recommended) or datarescuedd (or similar porgrams) under Windows.

Mind you it is entirely possible that the disk is now recognized in BIOS but that you won't be anyway able to access the physical sectors.

Once you will have made this image (or clone) start a new thread and we will see how to recover data (if possible), or if you have difficulties in finding or using the tool, as well start a new thread, the disk drive is now "unbricked" and it does not belong here anymore.

The message "No Phy: Staggered Spin bypass" should have no relevance.

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, i been reading the "read me first" post before but I can not find if it is normal that the hdd makes clicking noises and then stop spinning on 0LBA or BSY state or if that noises comes from another problem.

My hdd is a Seagate 7200.11 (ST31500341AS) 1,5 TB and was working fine until the blue screen of death appear and can not boot anymore.

Then boot from another hdd and win7 recognizes the drive with the correct model and capacity but shows like if was empty, no acces to my data at all.

Before read on internet why that happens I though where a bad sector problem and I attempt to do a chkdsk from win7 on my other working hdd. After some minutes when the hdd starts to clicking I freak out and restart my pc and I notice on the boot screen the firmware was fvck. BIOS recognize the hdd as (ST_M13FQBL) with a 3,86 GB capacity and the clicking noise still there until stops spinning after few seconds on every re boot.

My question is if this can be solved with this guide and if that is possible how I must proceed so I can try to do it myself before fvck my hdd even more and have to send it to some recovery data center and waste money.

Thank you very much!

Edited by Hazard

Unfortunately your issue is not solvable following this guide.

IF it is LBA0 then it may apply.

IF it is BSY then it may apply.

You have the disk NOT in LBA0 (as you see 3.86 GB) nor in BSY state as you see it in BIOS.

You are experiencing the so called "click-of-death":

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/?p=1082429

Applying the LBA0 or BSY solution won't likely help in your case :(.

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

If the disk is seen in BIOS with it's real size, and it is seen in disk manager as "uninitialized disk" your next step would be to attempt making a "dd-like" or "forensic sound" image.

You will need a larger HD formatted in NTFS to host the image, or a same size or bigger to make a clone.

And the use of ddrescue (under Linux - recommended) or datarescuedd (or similar porgrams) under Windows.

Mind you it is entirely possible that the disk is now recognized in BIOS but that you won't be anyway able to access the physical sectors.

Once you will have made this image (or clone) start a new thread and we will see how to recover data (if possible), or if you have difficulties in finding or using the tool, as well start a new thread, the disk drive is now "unbricked" and it does not belong here anymore.

The message "No Phy: Staggered Spin bypass" should have no relevance.

jaclaz

Succeeded :) !

Thank You very much for your help!

I saved the data using the GetDataBack program, with complete success.

I summarize the case (0 LBA error), the following steps resolved:

1., Fixing 0 LBA error:

Hyperterminal:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

2., Reset the drive to deafult values

Hyperterminal:

F3 T>/2     

F3 2>Z    

F3 2>U    

F3 2>/    

F3 T>F,,22      

3., Data Rescue

GetDataBack (Classic) using.

Thanks again!

PePeT

Hey Jaclaz!

If someone still has problem with failing drives and need a serial-to-TTL i found this little puppy!

This would have saved me some cash at least.

It seems like that the regular Usb-to-RS232 (serial) is at first TTL and then converted to serial signals with the Max213.

By solder some wires to these tiny tiny pins, you can get the TTL-signal before converted.

Hacking the Usb-to-serial is here: http://yd0nxx.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/hacking-usb-serial-adapter/

Datasheet for the Max213 is here: http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/228755/MAXIM/MAX213ECAI.html

This is for the Profilic Usb-to-serial-adapter, but it is maybe the same for different manufacturer, or at least same concept?

If possible, you maybe can move this to the beginning of the thread?

Edited by KlingKlang

Hey Jaclaz!

If someone still has problem with failing drives and need a serial-to-TTL i found this little puppy!

This would have saved me some cash at least.

It seems like that the regular Usb-to-RS232 (serial) is at first TTL and then converted to serial signals with the Max213.

By solder some wires to these tiny tiny pins, you can get the TTL-signal before converted.

Hacking the Usb-to-serial is here: http://yd0nxx.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/hacking-usb-serial-adapter/

Datasheet for the Max213 is here: http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/228755/MAXIM/MAX213ECAI.html

This is for the Profilic Usb-to-serial-adapter, but it is maybe the same for different manufacturer, or at least same concept?

If possible, you maybe can move this to the beginning of the thread?

I wouldn't be so sure/I don't know. :unsure:

The point is that the TTL level in the given link is given as 5V TTL (seemingly the "wrong" one or TTL/CMOS), you possibly missed the READ-ME-FIRST:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

particularly point 6 and the visual representation (original page is down now, but till viewable through Wayback Machine):

https://web.archive.org/web/20140829053839/http://www.interfacebus.com/voltage_threshold.html

AND point 10.

This might also possibly clear the matter:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152653-bsy-bug-for-seagate-momentus-72004/?p=972251

the difference between SHOUTED ENGLISH and whispered English easier to grasp ;).

So, while it is well possible that the Author of the "hacking adapter" is "wrong" :w00t: (and the actual TTL level between the Prolific chip and the Max213 is the "right" one at 3.3V) I would need some definite report of this hack (or of a similar one) working with one of these stupid 7200.11's before being convinced that it could represent a viable solution.

jaclaz

Hello Everyone,

Apparently my drive seems also bricked too. I am getting "Incorrect Function" when I try to initialize the disk via Disk manager on windows 2008.

Manufacturer : Seagate

Model : ST3500320AS

Barracuda 500 GB 7200.11

I ordered the necessary cable and going to follow the process soon,

Can you please check the screenshot, is it the reason when LBA0 happen to a disk... I beleive its not BSY because I am able to see it on windows...

Thanks,

M.G.

post-398819-0-78682600-1413817359_thumb.

Edited by maqic