The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hello everyone,

I successfully followed the BSY fix procedure, but HDD is still not recognized by the BIOS.

The procedure I first found on another site, but it did not include the line:
F3 T>i4,1,22

Is that possible source of the problem?

Now I don't know if repeating of the procedure is allowed (this time with F3 T>i4,1,22 included)
Is it possible that it doesn't work after first attempt, but that it will work after several attempts?

The HDD is 500GB, 7200.11, firmware SD15

Here is the procedure that I used:
CTRL+z
F3 T>/2
F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.140 msecs

(isolation strip removed under data contacts)

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 8.363 secs

F3 2>/1
F3 1>N1
F3 1>/T

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Now I have got the text "Max Wr Retries..." etc. but I didn't remember details, as it looked
normally

I'm definitely sure that it finished with:
"User Partition Format Successful"

I successfully followed the BSY fix procedure, but HDD is still not recognized by the BIOS.

The procedure I first found on another site, but it did not include the line:

F3 T>i4,1,22

Which basically means :whistle::

I UNsuccesfully followed ANOTHER BSY fix procedure.

:lol:

Try FORGETTING whatever "other" procedure/site and what not you have attempted.

Simply go here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5DyuVvuODctc2R4bDJJT19rMDQ/edit

and follow those instructions (and not ANY other ones you may find around) faking that your disk is in a BSY state.

I mean, IF it was in a BSY state AND IF the "fix" was unsuccessful, it is still in BSY state.

It is not like you have so many options, you either try the mentioned fix (which is sure to be working and has worked for thousands of cases) or you keep the drive "as is" :ph34r:.

Of course NO warranties whatever that the guide by CarterinCanada will work in your case or that it is any better than any other set of instructions.

jaclaz

Thanks for the link, jaclaz

I studied it, and disovered that it was exactly the procedure that I followed the first time.
Anyway, I tried it again, with the same result.

At the end, it says: "User Partition Format Successful", but after connecting to PC, HDD is still not recognised in BIOS.

What is confusing is that command m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 was immediately executed,i.e. it lasted 0 mins 00 secs (while it should last 1 minute or more)

Now I recorded the terminal communications dump:
F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.139 msecs
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 7.119 secs
F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>
F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Lot's of ideas :yes: point being if any of them are good ideas. :(

Resetting the G-list ( the i4,1,22 command) is not something that I believe can help, I would do it as a "last, desperate" kind of attempt. :ph34r:

Which firmware is the disk drive/which model?

The original FD15 500 Gb one had a "diagnostic" F712 command (search posts by user "Aviko" containing "F712"), but even if it applies cannot really say how much it could help...

jaclaz

The HDD is 500GB, 7200.11, ST3500320AS
Firmware:   SD15
S/N:            9QM0WRZW
Date Code: 08326

I have another disk of the same type that works. Could it be helpful in any way? As I understood, swaping the PCB-s is not an option?

The HDD is 500GB, 7200.11, ST3500320AS

Firmware:   SD15

S/N:            9QM0WRZW

Date Code: 08326

I have another disk of the same type that works. Could it be helpful in any way? As I understood, swaping the PCB-s is not an option?

Yep, we made a sticky for it :whistle::

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/150215-dont-even-think-of-swapping-pcbs-on-720011/

Of course it is possible to replace the PCB (but ONLY if the "ROM"  is transplanted from the "old" PCB to the "new" one, but your PCB is fine, at the most it is not working becuase of a corrupted ROM, so it would be a nice Catch 22.... :(

Since it is a SD15, you can then use the "diagnostic" command Aviko posted, see:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-22#entry832876

but cannot say whether it will be of any use.

jaclaz

Someone wrote on a forum that only after 7-8 attempts his disc was "unbricked", but he didn't specify if he got the message "User Partition Format Successful" every time, or only the last time.

Does it have any sense to try to repeat the procedure several times if I already have got the "User Partition Format Successful" message?

The point is that - particularly for the "real" BSY that happened on SD15 - the "User Partition Format Successful" (and having it with a few seconds delay or immediately, i.e. 0s, or having to wait for it a couple minutes or more) is only a "message" :w00t:.

What actually matters is "exiting the loop" due to the stupid LOG data pointer (you can read a detailed explanation see the link in the Read-Me-First to the 40 posts of so talking of the matter) and thus "moving" the pointer (or resetting the counter) from the 320 value (or multiple).

So it should work at first attempt (but trying it again won't make anything "worse") what is happening to your disk is likely to be (while still a BSY) a busy state caused by a completely different issue (for which we have no knowledge on it's diagnosing :ph34r:).

jaclaz

According to the description I could repair a "BSY" faulty HDD, what I would like to thank you to members of the forum.

Now a Seagate HDD(ST31000333AS) puzzles me which have a "0 LBA" error.
According to the description I tried to repair but it was no succes.

(PC recognized the type of the HDD, but in the BIOS I only see 0 Mb, in windows: Not initalized)

Thank you in advace for your help!

HYPERTERMINAL:

Rst 0x20M        
(P) SATA Reset             
 PASSPackage Verified                    
No Phy: Staggered spin bypass                            
ASCII Diag mode              

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22                     
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000                 

User Partition Format   4% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs                                 
WriteCapInfo           
Selection = 0000 CurrentCap 74706DB0 HDACap 74706DB0                                                   
No update: HDA EQ Current                        
CurrentHDA 74706DB0 HDACap 74706DB0 NativeCap 74706DB0 48BitCap 00000001 28BitCap 00000001         
NO Save      
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs                                                             
Zone re-format was skipped.                          
F3 T>

• 4 weeks later...

After my external Maxtor went dead  opened it it and it lead me here . My segate 7200.11 was bsy. 

I didnt have anything lying around.  but some old computer parts , square speak plugins that had to be filled down and an arduino mega.

I never even downloaded the drivers for the arduino .This is was its first use.

Noticing that the mega had a rx tx I plugged it in hooked it up went into device manager put it on the appropriate com port with the correct baud rate. 

Ran putty in serial mode. Ran rx0 , tx0 in a loop on the arduino to see If I would get back what I sent. 

All was good . Followed the steps as stated .

Not sure if this was mentioned in this 4 year thread but arduino works fine as a max 232 substitute. I would bet a home made DB25 Jtag would also. 

Mark

WriteCapInfo           

Selection = 0000 CurrentCap 74706DB0 HDACap 74706DB0                                                   

No update: HDA EQ Current                        

CurrentHDA 74706DB0 HDACap 74706DB0 NativeCap 74706DB0 48BitCap 00000001 28BitCap 00000001         

NO Save      

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs                                                             

Zone re-format was skipped.                          

F3 T>

This is the part that "sounds" very different from previous experience.

At first sight, it seems like *something* *somehow* changed the drive map, putting a "Cap" on it. :unsure:

You can *try* (of course with NO guarantees whatsoever) to reset the drive to deafult values with a F,,22 :ph34r:, but really cannot say if it can be of any use.

Read around here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/?p=985252

AND given link:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-19#entry832570

@Mrich0908

Nice to know :yes:, but of course *anything* that can send/receive TTL (at the right "low" TLL level) would do, usually people "playing" with Arduino's also have one or more suitable USB to TTL or Serial to TTL converters, and - more than that - they usually know how to interface things successfully, so I am not surprised that it wasn't mentioned before as posters on this thread - usually - post here looking for help/support as they are not familiar with the matter, while most people knowing where their towel is will simply run the commands an unbrick the drive, without ever posting about their experience.

Thanks for sharing it :).

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to use this method to recover a Seagate external HD (FreeAgent GoFlex portable) which has the BSY problem, but I'm getting no output in the terminal (I'm using Minicom on Mac OS X). The USB/TTL adapter is working fine. The disk makes some noise, but it is different from the normal spin noise it makes when I plug it via USB.

Is it possible that the serial port in this drive is different from the 7200.11? It has 4 pins and I'm assuming it is [-unused- | GRND | RX | TX].

What else could I try?

Thanks for any help.

Is it possible that the serial port in this drive is different from the 7200.11? It has 4 pins and I'm assuming it is [-unused- | GRND | RX | TX].

Well, if it is different from a 7200.11:

1. the 7200.11 "fix" will NOT likely work
  2. this thread which is for 7200.11 ONLY is not the right place to ask questions about a non-7200.11

To this you add two a few changes from the "known" paths/methods, the use of MacOSX, the use of Minicom (whatever it is), an unspeciified USB/TTL adapter and clearly you are not using the Windows Terminal.

Verify it is a 7200.11 with model ending in AS.

If it is not one, start a new thread about your issue, after having checked for other existing threads (there is one about the 7200.12 and one about the ES.2 or NS version of the 7200.11) but YMMGV, there is a concrete risk that you might trying to apply either the "wrong" cure to the "right" disease or the "right" cure to the "wrong" disease.

Double check with point #1 of the read-me-first:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

jaclaz