The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

My seagate 7200.11 responds to ctrl / z only when connected to the pcb disk. When I disconnected pcb I fail to connect with hyperterminal. Why is this happening?

Possibly it is not in one of the malfunctioning cases we are talking about (LBA0 or BSY).

A "normally working" 7200.11 terminal is accessible with the PCB connected to the disk (obviously), cannot say if a "normally working" one is also accessible when the PCB (powered) is detached from the actual disk (and/or one of the two sets of contacts are insulated), but I think it should as well. ;unsure:

jaclaz

My seagate 7200.11 responds to ctrl / z only when connected to the pcb disk. When I disconnected pcb I fail to connect with hyperterminal. Why is this happening?

Possibly it is not in one of the malfunctioning cases we are talking about (LBA0 or BSY).

A "normally working" 7200.11 terminal is accessible with the PCB connected to the disk (obviously), cannot say if a "normally working" one is also accessible when the PCB (powered) is detached from the actual disk (and/or one of the two sets of contacts are insulated), but I think it should as well. ;unsure:

jaclaz

I'll have a problem with the electric mass?. Will I be able to use a disk pcb other similar characteristics to recover my disk is damaged if its pcb I burned?

I'll have a problem with the electric mass?

Why should you have "a problem" (as long as you connect properly GROUND to ALL equipment involved)? :w00t:

Review point #7 of READ-ME-FIRST:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

and this post here (if the above is not enough):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-185#entry1064717

and thereby given links.

Will I be able to use a disk pcb other similar characteristics to recover my disk is damaged if its pcb I burned?

NO. :w00t:

There is a sticky EXACTLY for this doubt:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/150215-dont-even-think-of-swapping-pcbs-on-720011/

You CANNOT exchage PCB's on "modern" hard disks (including the 7200.11).

As a matter of fact you can, as long as you transplant properly the ROM, example:

http://stores.ebay.com/hddSupplier/PCB-Swap-Guide.html

Please consider how if you are here asking about making a PCB swap it means that you ARE NOT able to do it (CATCH22 ;)) and you WILL NOT be able to do it until you will put together a not-so-basic amount of knowledge and experience in soldering and more generally in electronics repairs.

As said your problem (whatever it is) seems like being NOT a BSY or a LBA0 (but you haven't provided yet ANY meaningful detail/info to confirm or deny this hypothesis) :(.

jaclaz

As said your problem (whatever it is) seems like being NOT a BSY or a LBA0 (but you haven't provided yet ANY meaningful detail/info to confirm or deny this hypothesis) :(

jaclaz

I have two similar hdd one that works and the other does not. When I connect the hdd that works with the screw pcb hyperterminal communication with hyperterminal is perfect, when I separate the pcb, this is not connected to the terminal. In the case of the failed disk I can not get connected to hyperterminal in any way. Always using the same ttl converter. Because I can not ge achieve connection with the hyperterminal. Apologize because my English is very bad.

post-390279-0-98488100-1395993265_thumb.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280748167812?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I want to know why the pcb is not connected to the terminal without being bolted to the hdd. From already thank you very much and sorry for my ignorance

post-390279-0-93362200-1395993213_thumb.

Edited by unosergio

The diagnosis is:

• *something* does NOT work in the disk that is not working :w00t:

There are 3 (three) possibilities:

1. it is a BSY <- in this case it is possible that the procedure to exit BSY state may work
  2. it is a LBA0 <- in this case it is possible that the procedure to exit LBA0 state may work
  3. it is *any* other malfunctioning different from BSY and LBA0 <- we have NO idea of any procedure (if existing, and if existing without needing specialized proprietary software/hardware) that may work

I hope the above is clear enough. :unsure:

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all...

I "fixed the drive" but now it's showing bad sectors,also i have updated firmware,but again hdd sentinel shows bad sectors,i dont know what to do next...any solution,or it's electronic on hard drive.

Hard drive is Seagate Barracuda ST3500620AS 500GB,Firmware was HP24,i updated to SD1A.

Sorry for bad English!

These are "separate" issues.

The BSY or LBA0 issues are the result of *something* that causes the disk firmware to enter a *loop* of some sort.

The "cure" is a method/procedure to exit this *loop*.

Bad sectors may develop for several reasons that have nothing to do with the above (and that cannot be fixed).

The fact that you updated the firmware (which is never recommended and definitely NOT suggested in the case of flashing a Seagate firmware over a HP one :no:) may be part of the cause of the bad sectors, but not necessarily.

That disk is now "gone for good", if it has developed bad sectors (and continues developing them).

If you have on it data that you wish to recover :ph34r:, you should have NOT updated the firmware, and in any case now you may look for professional recovery services.

If you managed to recover the data on it, it's time to throw the stupid disk in the dustbin and buy a newer one :(.

jaclaz

These are "separate" issues.

The BSY or LBA0 issues are the result of *something* that causes the disk firmware to enter a *loop* of some sort.

The "cure" is a method/procedure to exit this *loop*.

Bad sectors may develop for several reasons that have nothing to do with the above (and that cannot be fixed).

The fact that you updated the firmware (which is never recommended and definitely NOT suggested in the case of flashing a Seagate firmware over a HP one :no:) may be part of the cause of the bad sectors, but not necessarily.

That disk is now "gone for good", if it has developed bad sectors (and continues developing them).

If you have on it data that you wish to recover :ph34r:, you should have NOT updated the firmware, and in any case now you may look for professional recovery services.

If you managed to recover the data on it, it's time to throw the stupid disk in the dustbin and buy a newer one :(.

jaclaz

Thank you for reply...

On HP24 firmware was also bad sectors,first problem was that bios dont see the drive,but i was able to install system on it,and then i run HD Sentinel,and see about 2000 bad sector,later i found this solution,but first i updated the firmware to SD1A,i was hoping that bad sectors are gone,but not.Then i try the fix of BSY and LBA0,it was successfully,turn on hard drive,run sentinel,healt was 100%,performance also,then again updated firmware,and later,bad sectors return...When i run surface test it's all ok,no sign of bad sectors,but sentinel show's it...

I was hoping that I would solve the problem and I was persistent, but I no longer have the nerves!

I have no data on it,now i'm selling the drive!

Wait a minute.

If BOTH the Seagate (and NOT any other tool) Diagnostic tools (Seatools) run the short and long test successfully, then your disk is fine and HD sentinel is wrong.

jaclaz

Wait a minute.

If BOTH the Seagate (and NOT any other tool) Diagnostic tools (Seatools) run the short and long test successfully, then your disk is fine and HD sentinel is wrong.

jaclaz

I think the last time I worked the tests, they were ok .. then why would the sentinel showed bad sectors...

I'll do it test again during the day,and take screenshot to see...

Though when it comes to design reliable disk drives the good engineers at Seagate do suck a bit ;) and the way this particular model issues were mis-managed by the technical support sucks BIG, but they actually know what is inside their hard disks (I mean, they designed and manufactured them, they anyway know more - and very, very often won't tell - than anyone else on the specific topic).

The Seatools are for Seagate a "key" app, if either the short or long test fails, it will produce a code that will entitle you (if the disk drive is still under warranty) to have a replacement unit.

Though it is of course possible that because of the above the tool is maliciously tuned to make drives appear more healthy than they really are :w00t::ph34r:, I doubt that this is the case, as a matter of fact the common experience on this thread shows that disks that did not pass the test were anyway largely accessible and functional.

HD sentinel is a third party "generic" tool that uses the monitoring of the SMART attributes of the disk to "predict" failure.

While the approach:

http://www.hdsentinel.com/smart/index.php

is seemingly more "sound" than the "plain" check for SMART thresholds, but it is anyway a "theoretical model", seemingly nice, but only assertedly and theoretically more accurate than "plain" check.

The SMART in itself is not accurate at all, and to all practical effects it has not any relevant increase in accuracy than flippism, see:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170237-which-drive-sould-i-get/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/153191-does-copying-several-giga-bytes-on-a-daily-base-screw-the-hard-drive/

There is not any evidence (AFAIK) that the HDsentinel method is accurate or "more accurate" than anything else, the only thing that you can say for sure of the results is that it is "more conservative", .i.e. it will start crying (sometimes crying Wolf! ;)) much earlier than a "plain" SMART monitoring tool, in their own words (same source as above):

According to this number, the health is disquieting. By default, this software would alert the user if the health value is as low as this number. By selecting the correct evaluation method and the correct alert levels, it is possible to predict failure long before the catastrophe. The owner of this hard disk could prevent data loss if he'd install this software before.

A low health value alone does not neccessary mean that the hard disk will surely die in the near future (to verify this, a complete (hardware) examination is required), but there is a real chance for failure. The problem of the hard disk described above can not be easily detected but as we can see, there were some signs in the S.M.A.R.T. attributes. Other hard disks with other problems may work for a long time, months or years (even if they have lower health value). Problems caused by a short period (for example, too hot environment or an incorrect power supply) will not disappear. But after fixing the reasons of such problems (using a heatsink, fan or replacing the power supply), the hard disk lifetime can be extended. Anyway, it is recommended to examine the status of these hard disks constantly or regulary and to use them as secondary data storage only. Users should make sure that their important and valuable files are stored on an other hard disk also (with a higher "health" value).

jaclaz

Though when it comes to design reliable disk drives the good engineers at Seagate do suck a bit ;) and the way this particular model issues were mis-managed by the technical support sucks BIG, but they actually know what is inside their hard disks (I mean, they designed and manufactured them, they anyway know more - and very, very often won't tell - than anyone else on the specific topic).

The Seatools are for Seagate a "key" app, if either the short or long test fails, it will produce a code that will entitle you (if the disk drive is still under warranty) to have a replacement unit.

Though it is of course possible that because of the above the tool is maliciously tuned to make drives appear more healthy than they really are :w00t::ph34r:, I doubt that this is the case, as a matter of fact the common experience on this thread shows that disks that did not pass the test were anyway largely accessible and functional.

HD sentinel is a third party "generic" tool that uses the monitoring of the SMART attributes of the disk to "predict" failure.

While the approach:

http://www.hdsentinel.com/smart/index.php

is seemingly more "sound" than the "plain" check for SMART thresholds, but it is anyway a "theoretical model", seemingly nice, but only assertedly and theoretically more accurate than "plain" check.

The SMART in itself is not accurate at all, and to all practical effects it has not any relevant increase in accuracy than flippism, see:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170237-which-drive-sould-i-get/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/153191-does-copying-several-giga-bytes-on-a-daily-base-screw-the-hard-drive/

There is not any evidence (AFAIK) that the HDsentinel method is accurate or "more accurate" than anything else, the only thing that you can say for sure of the results is that it is "more conservative", .i.e. it will start crying (sometimes crying Wolf! ;)) much earlier than a "plain" SMART monitoring tool, in their own words (same source as above):

According to this number, the health is disquieting. By default, this software would alert the user if the health value is as low as this number. By selecting the correct evaluation method and the correct alert levels, it is possible to predict failure long before the catastrophe. The owner of this hard disk could prevent data loss if he'd install this software before.

A low health value alone does not neccessary mean that the hard disk will surely die in the near future (to verify this, a complete (hardware) examination is required), but there is a real chance for failure. The problem of the hard disk described above can not be easily detected but as we can see, there were some signs in the S.M.A.R.T. attributes. Other hard disks with other problems may work for a long time, months or years (even if they have lower health value). Problems caused by a short period (for example, too hot environment or an incorrect power supply) will not disappear. But after fixing the reasons of such problems (using a heatsink, fan or replacing the power supply), the hard disk lifetime can be extended. Anyway, it is recommended to examine the status of these hard disks constantly or regulary and to use them as secondary data storage only. Users should make sure that their important and valuable files are stored on an other hard disk also (with a higher "health" value).

jaclaz

Today I installed Windows on it, then I installed SeaTools and HD sentinel.Sentinel showed 173 bad sectors.Seatools passed the short test, but not long finished properly, I'll try another long test, because my computer went to stand by.

Thank you once again for your reply!

Here is the screenshots,that's it,i will no more try to do anything with this hard drive!

Again thank you!

I am not sure to understand. :unsure:

The screenshot on the left is seemingly about the "Short" test (and this was passed, good :)).

What about the "Long" test (which is BTW evidently more complete/thorough)?

jaclaz

Here is the screenshots,that's it,i will no more try to do anything with this hard drive!

Again thank you!

I am not sure to understand. :unsure:

The screenshot on the left is seemingly about the "Short" test (and this was passed, good :)).

What about the "Long" test (which is BTW evidently more complete/thorough)?

jaclaz

Right now i'm doing the long test,and later i will post the screenshot!

It's strange when i enter the comand in hyperterminal,m0,22,,,,,22 ,and just say some text,formated but no show how much percentage,and successfull,elepsated time 0 and that's it!