The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 is not a general reset as some are stating. It is a translator regeneration of the user area (m0 for user area) taking into account the defect lists. If the drive you apply this 'cure' suffers from something else (i.e. the diagnosis does not match the description: perfectly spinning, FW SD15 or so), such command may reset the primary defects list - and then say good bye to your data unless you pay someone a large amount of money to reconstruct it from the factory logs (up to tens of thousands of entries), in case they are alive.

And your point is? :unsure:

It is clearly stated in several places, including the READ-ME-FIRST how the instructions and the assistance provided here is ONLY related to two definite errors, the "LBA0" and the "BSY" caused by a single, definite issue in firmware (log counter).

It is NEVER suggested to apply the "fix" if the symptoms are not correspondent to the above.

BUT a number of people, that had nothing to lose, went ahead and applied the same "fix" to slightly different symptoms, and some of them had their disks revived. <- this plainly means that the "fix" works also for some disks affected by different issues.

Quick explanation:

A. disk bricked

B. data on it not worth between US$ 500 and US$ 1,000 (typical figures that professionals are going to charge for recovering the data)

or

C. having not the financial possibility to spend said amount of money.

A+B=0 (nothing to lose)

A+C=0 (nothing to lose)

Noone in it's right mind, whenever the data is actually worth that kind of money, will even think to risk to lose the data forever, but all the rest can well fork from a handful of bucks and attempt (if the symptoms are the correspondent ones or even if they are not) to apply the provided routines.

They won't be anyway in a "worse" situation, and they won't anyway spend hundreds of dollars on the stupid thingy, they had lost their data before the failed attempt and they will have them lost after it.

jaclaz

Well, I must slightly disagree. I've read the "READ-ME-FIRST" page and ok, only for 7200.11 on BSY state or LBA0 state. But you should know that almost all problems a hard drive can have will result on a BSY state, making any drive unresponsive to ATA commands. You dropped the drive? BSY. You have faulty heads? BSY. You have loads of bad sectors? BSY again. The thing is, ok, you may not have the money OR the knowledge now, but maybe tomorrow? Of course if data is of no value, go ahead. But things can go worse, indeed. It happened to me, so I must warn other people.

Cheers

Well, I must slightly disagree. I've read the "READ-ME-FIRST" page and ok, only for 7200.11 on BSY state or LBA0 state. But you should know that almost all problems a hard drive can have will result on a BSY state, making any drive unresponsive to ATA commands. You dropped the drive? BSY. You have faulty heads? BSY. You have loads of bad sectors? BSY again. The thing is, ok, you may not have the money OR the knowledge now, but maybe tomorrow? Of course if data is of no value, go ahead. But things can go worse, indeed. It happened to me, so I must warn other people.

Cheers

That's good. :)

You are very welcome to disagree, either slightly or largely. :yes:

What you cannot do is to misrepresent the scope and the by now recognized usefulness of the present thread and more generally indirectly depict the few people (like yours truly :)) that in these years have contributed to allow thousands of people to recover their data as a bunch of reckless loons senselessly advising people to apply this cure to *any* illness :w00t:.

The fact that a number of people do not take the time to READ ATTENTIVELY the provided resources and fail to consider attentively whether attempting this fix is a good or bad choice is another thing and is unfortunately outside the possibilities of a technical forum, (can't cure stupid :no:), if I had 5 bucks for each user that failed to READ and attempted a PCB swap:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152693-st9160411as-cant-initialize-because-of-io-device-error#entry973111

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/150215-dont-even-think-of-swapping-pcbs-on-720011/

I would be, if not a rich man, much more well off. ;)

Example, in layman's terms:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-169#entry1004448

And, JFYl, a Seagate which was dropped will very likely, BEFORE showing a BSY, click a number of times (ten or eleven or twelve, cannot remember exactly) and then spin down (and same often happens for a failed head).

jaclaz

Finder the correct is 7200.11 . sam steps put card under the plate . my question is the card put from the first time ?

Kostas275,

really, it is not easy to understand your question.

What you wrote is not English.

It sounds like English, i.e. you are putting together English words, but the result cannot be understood.

It is extremely important that you make understandable questions and that you understand completely the answers as an even minimal mistake may make the disk drive unrecoverable.

Try writing in Greek simple sentences and using Google translate, it often produces a good enough result:

http://translate.google.com/

remember, simple sentences

Πραγματικά, δεν είναι εύκολο να καταλάβει την ερώτησή σας.

Αυτό που έγραψε δεν είναι η αγγλική.

Ακούγεται σαν αγγλικά, δηλαδή βάζετε μαζί αγγλικές λέξεις, αλλά το αποτέλεσμα δεν μπορεί να γίνει κατανοητή.

Είναι εξαιρετικά σημαντικό ότι κάνετε εύλογα ερωτήματα και ότι έχετε κατανοήσει πλήρως τις απαντήσεις ως μια έστω και ελάχιστη λάθος μπορεί να κάνει το δίσκο ανεπανόρθωτο.

Προσπαθήστε να γράψετε στα ελληνικά απλές προτάσεις και χρησιμοποιώντας το Google μεταφράζει, θα παράγει συχνά ένα αρκετά καλό αποτέλεσμα:

http://translate.google.com/

θυμηθείτε, απλές προτάσεις

jaclaz

sorry ,sorry ok lets go from the beginning. i have seagate barracuda 72000.11 . i work on my computer after restart my hard disk no found and not see to bios . i read the first page If ι understand to fix the problem there are two method 1. Fixing 0 LBA error and 2. Fixing BSY or CC errors aka BUSY . my broblem maybe is second solution ?

Hello everyone
using this cable:
Nokia CA-42 DKU-5 USB Cable 3100 5100 6100 6800 7200
Windows 7 32bit
loopback works, watched and followed the complete guide:
however, if i put the business card in, ctrl + z didnt respond, but it did say connected, so i completed the whole procedure without the business card, last lines were:
F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 Enter
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000
User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 0002F79B, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs Zone re-format was skipped.
F3 T>/2
F3 2>Z
Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 3.038 msecs
Turn off power from HDD, shutdown your comp.
so i connected the hdd back, but everything was the same for some reason, as i went into my computer, the hdd didnt appear, and in disk management it appeared like this:
20140119_042102aasdas_zps7f23a164.jpg
so i try right clicking on the hdd in disk management > assing letter, say g for example, enter, and it halts disk management, left it for hours and it wouldnt resume, sometimes it comes up in my computer as "Local Disk",
i reboot pc, try running "mini tool power data recovery" the real hdd name comes up "3 documents" but when i click on browse, halts again
hope someone can help me out
so i connected the hdd back, but everything was the same for some reason, as i went into my computer, the hdd didnt appear, and in disk management it appeared like this:

If it was actually "the same as before" it was NOT either BSY or LBA0.

Check in the BIOS ( NOT in the booted Windows).

Is it seen as having zero capacity? If no see below, if yes it means that the de-bricking was not successful and you shoudl try again.

Is it detected? If yes then your procedure worked and the disk is not anymore belongng to this thread, if it is not detected it means that the de-bricking was not successful and you shoudl try again.

If the disk is NOT LBA0 and NOT BSY, then:

hope someone can help me out

Read (attentively) the post just before yours.

Start a NEW thread, you need to recover the partitoning/volume(s).

jaclaz

ok i checked the bios, heres what it looks like:

ASASFSDGF_zps4e689b96.jpg

so from what you say this must be a different issue, i also tried this hdd on ubuntu to see if the drive comes up, but it didnt, and on another windows 7 system, the same as others, just hangs there when you try to enter disk management, if you know about this issue please respond, or if you think i should create a new thread, do you know the name of the problem? any guidance please?

@TomasMascinskas

You have to understand that there are three "levels" when it comes to a disk drive:

1. Real physical level (this is what the BIOS can see and that in your case is OK)
  2. Physical level (or RAW device) which is what Disk Management uses to access the device
  3. Logical level (what Explorer or other file manager will use ONCE the Disk Manager above will have created a valid logical structure, i.e. partitions/volumes and filesystems on them)

A bricked disk will not be accessed correctly at level #1 above and consequently it won't be available at the other two ones.

An unbricked disk will be accessible at level #1 and at level #2 above but not necessarily at level #3 as, for a number of reasons its logical structure may have been corrupted.

Your disk is detected correctly in the BIOS :yes:, and as such your disk is NOT "bricked" (anymore) :), BUT evidently the logical structure on it has been damaged :(.

Start a NEW thread and we will see if it is possible to repair/recover the logical structure of the disk or if at least file-based recovery is possible.

In more detail, the partitioning of the disk is still OK (your disk management does see a single partition on it) BUT NO valid filesystem is recognised by the Windows and as such a drive letter CANNOT be assigned to it.

jaclaz

sorry ,sorry ok lets go from the beginning. i have seagate barracuda 72000.11 . i work on my computer after restart my hard disk no found and not see to bios . i read the first page If ι understand to fix the problem there are two method 1. Fixing 0 LBA error and 2. Fixing BSY or CC errors aka BUSY . my broblem maybe is second solution ?

If you can see the disk drive in the BIOS but it is shows as 0 in size then it is the LBA0 problem. <- this is NOT your case :no:

If you cannot see the disk drive in BIOS then it is possible that it is the BSY problem. <- this is probably your case :yes:

READ the read-me-first (which is what you should READ FIRST):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

FORGET about the first post on this thread and READ instead the recommended guide by CarterinCanada:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

If you cannot understand what is written in the two given above resource, as said, try asking for help to a friend of relative with some more familiarity with English, this is your actual problem!

jaclaz

@TomasMascinskas

You have to understand that there are three "levels" when it comes to a disk drive:

1. Real physical level (this is what the BIOS can see and that in your case is OK)
  2. Physical level (or RAW device) which is what Disk Management uses to access the device
  3. Logical level (what Explorer or other file manager will use ONCE the Disk Manager above will have created a valid logical structure, i.e. partitions/volumes and filesystems on them)

A bricked disk will not be accessed correctly at level #1 above and consequently it won't be available at the other two ones.

An unbricked disk will be accessible at level #1 and at level #2 above but not necessarily at level #3 as, for a number of reasons its logical structure may have been corrupted.

Your disk is detected correctly in the BIOS :yes:, and as such your disk is NOT "bricked" (anymore) :), BUT evidently the logical structure on it has been damaged :(.

Start a NEW thread and we will see if it is possible to repair/recover the logical structure of the disk or if at least file-based recovery is possible.

In more detail, the partitioning of the disk is still OK (your disk management does see a single partition on it) BUT NO valid filesystem is recognised by the Windows and as such a drive letter CANNOT be assigned to it.

jaclaz

posted a new topic here

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170938-damaged-logical-structure-of-seagate-720011/

(also by accident i created a duplicate topic, can you please delete this one? http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170939-damaged-logical-structure-of-seagate-720011/ )

jaclaz ok i read the forum http://www.mapleleaf...agatebrick.html and i have a question . the forum say ( At this point, many say you need to disconnect the SATA power cable from the drive and wait one minute. Yes, count to sixty. Then plug the SATA power cable back into the drive. There is a bit of debate about this step in the forums but that is what I did and it worked fine in my case. *IF and only if* you choose not to disconnect drive power temporarily, you need to at least change back to the test level prompt (type F3 1>/T (enter)) at this point before continuing.)

what to do ? what is your opinion to do disconnect the SATA power cable ?

If you perform the /1 N1 command and then you fart and open and close the window, and then do ten push-ups and shout "FIX ME! FIX ME! FIX ME!!" it will work as well, if the drive suffers just from the 7200.11 bug. Should all of us trying to repair our drives fart and open the window, and then do the push-ups and shout three times FIX ME!? Powering it off at that point has nothing to do with the problem you are trying to solve. If it really makes a difference - then your drive needs to meet the doctor, or the rubbish.

I hope that's clear enough!! Regards

Edited by Azurlake

@kostas275

Try doing the power off by disconnecting the power cable, and waiting one minute.

No matter if *needed*, it has worked fine with the power off step.

@Azurlake

Shouting really hard at hardware is a known technique that I personally use, when needed, but you need to be trained to use it, and often some plainer threatening works fine:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/139328-disc-drive-unable-to-eject/?p=891753

(farting is of course a no-no for the obvious minimum level of education and dignity :ph34r:, and the push-ups serve no purpose whatever :no:)

fb3fb929-ea63-4d82-a9de-752060850816.jpg

jaclaz

@kostas275

Try doing the power off by disconnecting the power cable, and waiting one minute.

No matter if *needed*, it has worked fine with the power off step.

@Azurlake

Shouting really hard at hardware is a known technique that I personally use, when needed, but you need to be trained to use it, and often some plainer threatening works fine:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/139328-disc-drive-unable-to-eject/?p=891753

(farting is of course a no-no for the obvious minimum level of education and dignity :ph34r:, and the push-ups serve no purpose whatever :no:)

fb3fb929-ea63-4d82-a9de-752060850816.jpg

jaclaz

@jaclaz

:thumbup intimidating things is one of the funniest and dumbest things humans do when things stop working - or when they smash their toes with the door or the head with the window :lol:

help after this point (F3 1>N1 (enter)

Which will simply return the level one prompt

F3 1>

At this point, many say you need to disconnect the SATA power cable from the drive and wait one minute. Yes, count to sixty. Then plug the SATA power cable back into the drive. There is a bit of debate about this step in the forums but that is what I did and it worked fine in my case. *IF and only if* you choose not to disconnect drive power temporarily, you need to at least change back to the test level prompt (type F3 1>/T (enter)) at this point before continuing.

my ) no response to write the Type m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 nothing responding to my HyperTerminal what to do?

You need to re-issue the Ctrl+Z to access the disk, you know, like:

Now back in HyperTerminal, you'll need to hit CTRL-Z to get a fresh prompt

If the above doesn't work, start again the whole procedure since the beginning, and this time do not remove power and only change level to get to the F3 T> prompt.

I assure you that my eyesight, as well as that of most members of the site, is good enough :yes: to read what is written in "normal" characters, NO need to post in large characters, which is BTW common netiquette and against the Board Rule #11:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

11. Do not use CAPITALIZATIONS in the topic title or when participating in threads because they will not attract attention - instead it will annoy many of MSFN's members. Using unnecessary font formatting (i.e., bold font, increased font sizes, colored fonts, etc.) on the full body of posts is also discouraged.

jaclaz