The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hello,

I just registered to say a big thanks to all the contributors of this thread. I managed to recover 700 GB I thought lost forever !

I used the method described by 93360 here :

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-117#entry926992

thus, instead of a cable I used a USB to TTL Converter similar (but cheaper) than this one :

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Converter-Module-Built-CP2102/dp/B008RF73CS

which has the advantage of not needing an external powering.and, for me, being simpler to implement.

Mistakes I did :

- forgot to connect GRND to GRND

- inverted TX and RTX

dispite this I finally saw the magic "F3 T>" and everything went smoothly.

:w00t:

thanks again !

Hi

All the info is great,was able to put it all together followed all the step every thing went great ,then I put the HD back in computer ,it showed In bios ,it showed in windows ? But came up as not formatted with CRC error,.? Looking for some help

Thanks

Hi

All the info is great,was able to put it all together followed all the step every thing went great ,then I put the HD back in computer ,it showed In bios ,it showed in windows ? But came up as not formatted with CRC error,.? Looking for some help

Thanks

If it is seen in BIOS, AND NOT seen as 0 in size, THEN it does NOT belong anymore to this thread.

In some cases there is a need to fix the partitioning (and in some of these this is possible), but it is not connected with the unbricking.

You should start a NEW thread detailing the issue (never seen/heard of a "CRC error" BTW).

Here is an example similar one:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/145574-seagate-750gb-one-partition-is-raw-after-bsy-fix/

to give you an idea of the procedure.

jaclaz

Hello everyone

using this cable:

Nokia CA-42 DKU-5 USB Cable 3100 5100 6100 6800 7200

Windows 7 32bit

loopback works, watched and followed the complete guide:

however, if i put the business card in, ctrl + z didnt respond, but it did say connected, so i completed the whole procedure without the business card, last lines were:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 Enter

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 0002F79B, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs Zone re-format was skipped.

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 3.038 msecs

Turn off power from HDD, shutdown your comp.

so i connected the hdd back, but everything was the same for some reason, as i went into my computer, the hdd didnt appear, and in disk management it appeared like this:

20140119_042102aasdas_zps7f23a164.jpg

so i try right clicking on the hdd in disk management > assing letter, say g for example, enter, and it halts disk management, left it for hours and it wouldnt resume, sometimes it comes up in my computer as "Local Disk",

i reboot pc, try running "mini tool power data recovery" the real hdd name comes up "3 documents" but when i click on browse, halts again

hope someone can help me out

so i connected the hdd back, but everything was the same for some reason, as i went into my computer, the hdd didnt appear, and in disk management it appeared like this:

If it was actually "the same as before" it was NOT either BSY or LBA0.

Check in the BIOS ( NOT in the booted Windows).

Is it seen as having zero capacity? If no see below, if yes it means that the de-bricking was not successful and you shoudl try again.

Is it detected? If yes then your procedure worked and the disk is not anymore belongng to this thread, if it is not detected it means that the de-bricking was not successful and you shoudl try again.

If the disk is NOT LBA0 and NOT BSY, then:

hope someone can help me out

Read (attentively) the post just before yours.

Start a NEW thread, you need to recover the partitoning/volume(s).

jaclaz

Hello guys,

I have a HDD seagate 7200.11 that is bricked but no wired sound is coming from the drive.

I can't manage to find what is the error, i.e if it is a BSY or 0 LBA or anything else.

My drive appears in the BIOS but I don't see the type of error. The drive is listed with the right size but I can't access it neither in windows nor in linux. Seatools sees the drive but the short test doesn't succeed but the SMART yes.

Do you know a way to identify clearly the error?

Thks

I can't manage to find what is the error, i.e if it is a BSY or 0 LBA or anything else.

My drive appears in the BIOS but I don't see the type of error. The drive is listed with the right size but I can't access it neither in windows nor in linux. Seatools sees the drive but the short test doesn't succeed but the SMART yes.

Do you know a way to identify clearly the error?

If it ìs a LBA0 it will be listed in BIOS as 0 bytes in size.

If it is BSY it won't normally be listed in BIOS.

So it is "anything else" (and as such does NOT belong to this thread, which is ONLY about LBA0 and BSY).

Start a NEW thread detailing your issue.

Describe in it what EXACTLY do you mean by "can't access it neither in windows nor in linux".

jaclaz

m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 is not a general reset as some are stating. It is a translator regeneration of the user area (m0 for user area) taking into account the defect lists. If the drive you apply this 'cure' suffers from something else (i.e. the diagnosis does not match the description: perfectly spinning, FW SD15 or so), such command may reset the primary defects list - and then say good bye to your data unless you pay someone a large amount of money to reconstruct it from the factory logs (up to tens of thousands of entries), in case they are alive.

m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 is not a general reset as some are stating. It is a translator regeneration of the user area (m0 for user area) taking into account the defect lists. If the drive you apply this 'cure' suffers from something else (i.e. the diagnosis does not match the description: perfectly spinning, FW SD15 or so), such command may reset the primary defects list - and then say good bye to your data unless you pay someone a large amount of money to reconstruct it from the factory logs (up to tens of thousands of entries), in case they are alive.

And your point is? :unsure:

It is clearly stated in several places, including the READ-ME-FIRST how the instructions and the assistance provided here is ONLY related to two definite errors, the "LBA0" and the "BSY" caused by a single, definite issue in firmware (log counter).

It is NEVER suggested to apply the "fix" if the symptoms are not correspondent to the above.

BUT a number of people, that had nothing to lose, went ahead and applied the same "fix" to slightly different symptoms, and some of them had their disks revived. <- this plainly means that the "fix" works also for some disks affected by different issues.

Quick explanation:

A. disk bricked

B. data on it not worth between US$ 500 and US$ 1,000 (typical figures that professionals are going to charge for recovering the data)

or

C. having not the financial possibility to spend said amount of money.

A+B=0 (nothing to lose)

A+C=0 (nothing to lose)

Noone in it's right mind, whenever the data is actually worth that kind of money, will even think to risk to lose the data forever, but all the rest can well fork from a handful of bucks and attempt (if the symptoms are the correspondent ones or even if they are not) to apply the provided routines.

They won't be anyway in a "worse" situation, and they won't anyway spend hundreds of dollars on the stupid thingy, they had lost their data before the failed attempt and they will have them lost after it.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

i have seagate barracuda 7222.11 . i work on my computer after restart my hard disk no found and not see to bios . this item fix my broblem ?

No. :w00t:

If you cannot write correctly 7200.11 it is inconceivable that you can replicate the procedure accurately enough. :whistle:

Seriously :), yes :yes:, it is possible that your disk is affected by the BSY problem, but maybe you will need some assistance from a friend or relative more familiar with English, in order to read and properly understand the READ-ME-FIRST:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

and the recommended guide:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

It is important to make sure that the symptoms are those of either the BSY or LBA0 known issue and to understand fully and replicate EXACTLY the procedure.

Or maybe you can try asking for help here:

http://www.insomnia.gr/topic/316249-πρόβλημα-με-seagate-barracuda-st3500320as/

jaclaz