The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi, I apologize in advance if Im asking something thats been posted somewhere, but Ive not seen anything regarding it so far.

I have my adapter setup, Ive did the loopback test to make sure everything is working with it, so basically ready to start the actual procedure. The adapter is USB powered (its this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280748167812?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649), so no need to hook it up to the power supply. What Im particularly nervous about is powering the HDD. My plan was to use the same power supply that is in my terminal computer...power off the computer, plug everything in, and power back on before proceeding... but if I need to power cycle the drive at some point, this could be an issue. Is it much better to use a stand alone power supply to power the HDD only?

Is it much better to use a stand alone power supply to power the HDD only?

Yes and no. :w00t:

The advantage of having ALL the devices involved (the PC, the converter and the disk) powered by the same PSU is that you won't have the need to ground everything together in order to avoid possible ground loops (and consequent gibberish on the terminal).

Having a separate power supply implies the need for accurate grounding, but it is easier to remove power off the disk.

With a single PSU, you simply pull off the disk power connector, then switch off the PC and reboot and re-connected it (and this is more or less likely to take the suggested 60 seconds).

Please consider also (see the recommended guide by CarterinCanada: http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html ) how the actual powering off of the disk drive may be needed or may be needed not.

jaclaz

Hello, i menage to start communication with HDD(with controler 232) and get to spin up command and when i supposed to pull out paper card and tighten screws one screw nearest to hdd motor moved about 1/10 mm and touched one of power lines and HDD is dead :(( Unfortunately now i need to send HDD to get all of my data back to another HDD. Thanks for help guys!! :(

one screw nearest to hdd motor moved about 1/10 mm and touched one of power lines

NO :no:.

1/10 of a mm is a 1/10 of a mm, there are NO "power lines" within 0.1 mm from any screw on the PCB of a ST3100034as:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0207/3304/products/ST3100034AS_FW_HP13_100466824_REV_C_PCB_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1378998992

and at least last time I checked screws did not move by themselves.

I am sorry for your misadventure :(, but evidently you did something else and the *whatever* you did caused *something* to move more than 1/10 mm.

jaclaz

I followed line and it seams that screw touched signal line to RX pin and that caused spark, and hdd is dead, that happened when i tried to tighten the screw, and screw fell on that side where is signal line and the end :( :(

Hello all...i am new here...

Very helpfull forum especially at this seagate thing...i have read a lot posts and sites etc etc but i miss something in the way....

If anyone that happend to him or knows something about my situation please feel free to help here !!!!

So first of all i use win 7 64 and i run HT from and xp instalation that i copied to my pc progr fiels etc etc...

first problem was when i put ground on i got no answer from the hdd its like dead...on the other hand if i dont put the gnr i have 2 situations...

the first is when i press ctr z it giving me around 10 lines of unknown letters/symbols

and when i flip the cables tx/rx it gives me some sort of readable letters(pixel letter) but after i hit enter nothing came on...i just can type several commands but nothing seem to responding !!!

so i cant manage to get that F3 out !!! never im on this about a month....and my hair are leaving me :P

thanks in adv. if anyone has something like that and wanna share it !!!!

You are likely having BOTH a connection issue AND a grounding issue. :w00t:

Which EXACT converter are you using?

How EXACTLY are you powering the converter?

How EXACTLY are you powering the hard disk?

Does the loopback test work OK?

At which speed settings did you set HyperTerminal?

Should you have failed to read the read-me-first :unsure: and FGA's, NOW is like the right time to do it:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/147532-fga-for-the-seagate-720011-drives/

jaclaz

Thanks Jac for the fast reply !!!!

i have read those links ofc !!! at the second FGA i am at 4 Ctrl Z doesn't work... !!! lol

loop test is working as it should be now about converter i use a USB one bought from ebay i think converter draw power from usb and about hdd i use an external power source plugged directly to hdd.sata molex.

speed at terminal you talk about 38400 right ? or somethiung else ?

thanks !!

this is the controler btw

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STM3500320AS-ST3500320AS-HDD-Repair-Tools/221309522581?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D3643536863362203267%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D280748167812%26

Edited by Beezgr

Is it much better to use a stand alone power supply to power the HDD only?

Yes and no. :w00t:

The advantage of having ALL the devices involved (the PC, the converter and the disk) powered by the same PSU is that you won't have the need to ground everything together in order to avoid possible ground loops (and consequent gibberish on the terminal).

Having a separate power supply implies the need for accurate grounding, but it is easier to remove power off the disk.

With a single PSU, you simply pull off the disk power connector, then switch off the PC and reboot and re-connected it (and this is more or less likely to take the suggested 60 seconds).

Please consider also (see the recommended guide by CarterinCanada: http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html ) how the actual powering off of the disk drive may be needed or may be needed not.

jaclaz

Thanks for this...between this reassurance and CarterinCanada's guide (a great guide by the way) I just succesfully reset my drive and Im backing up as we speak :). Hopefully itll finish copying all of the files before the drive experiences anymore issues :) Very exciting to see what files I had forgotten about that are on this drive. Thanks again everyone involved in putting this guide together!

Hello all,

First, thank you for compiling such a complete thread on this topic. My wife is a photographer and had a 7200.11 bricked right now (and I think) because of this issue. None of our PCs will recognize the disk (in BIOS).

I am a complete layperson when it comes to doing anything with electronics (other than slapping together a desktop). To be honest, I am also quite short on time to do such a repair. Does anyone on this board, who has done this job before and has the proper tools, offer their services to others to "unbrick" these drives so we may get our data off?

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see it in the Read This sticky or about 30 pages of this thread.

Thanks,

Roy

Hi!

I need some help, too.

at first, sorry for my bad english. Im from Germany, if you want to know.

Problem: Hyperterminal under Win XP is very slow, and most of time it does nothing, or sends errors to screen, unfortunality it looks like egypt hyroglyphes.

In the beginning, it needs al lot of STRG-Z's to get the first prompt, where i can Type my "/2", if i had doen this, and pressed ENTER, the cursor only goes to beginning of line, and then... nothing. eventually there comes a lot of Error, i cant read it really, cause it looks senseless.

Equipment:

this adapter from Artekit/italy: http://www.artekit.eu/products/accessories/ak-rs232/

Backlooptest OK.

Powersource for the TTL-Adapter: at first USB-Charging Supply (HTC MobilePhone) with USB-2-Pole-Cable (Checked with Multimeter: 4,5-5V),

at second 1 CR2023-Battery (3V), effektivly circa 2,7V

PC: Pentium4, 1GB, Windows SP 32-bit

Powersource for the HDD: the extern-Power-Supply from my HDD-Adapter SATA-to-USB

and, of course, the seagate HDD (if got 2 of them, but only 1 is important with Data)

If i let the Paper away from motor-contacts, the motor runs, and i got the wished errormessage.

Can anyone tell me, what i did wrong?

I am afraid about every help, tipp and trick!

Thanks, and greetings,

Casalla

Hello all,

First, thank you for compiling such a complete thread on this topic. My wife is a photographer and had a 7200.11 bricked right now (and I think) because of this issue. None of our PCs will recognize the disk (in BIOS).

I am a complete layperson when it comes to doing anything with electronics (other than slapping together a desktop). To be honest, I am also quite short on time to do such a repair. Does anyone on this board, who has done this job before and has the proper tools, offer their services to others to "unbrick" these drives so we may get our data off?

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see it in the Read This sticky or about 30 pages of this thread.

Thanks,

Roy

Actually such kind of "service offers" (and consequently - though indirectly - corresponding requests) are conflicting with Rule #13:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

You haven't got a friend more familiar with electronics?

Or have in the neighbourhood a shop that repairs cellular phones (who normally already has the converter and can follow the guide easily)?

jaclaz

Problem: Hyperterminal under Win XP is very slow, and most of time it does nothing, or sends errors to screen, unfortunality it looks like egypt hyroglyphes.

In the beginning, it needs al lot of STRG-Z's to get the first prompt, where i can Type my "/2", if i had doen this, and pressed ENTER, the cursor only goes to beginning of line, and then... nothing. eventually there comes a lot of Error, i cant read it really, cause it looks senseless.

Can anyone tell me, what i did wrong?

Check GROUNDing! /of which you made NO mention)

READ the read-me-first:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

AND the FGA's:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/147532-fga-for-the-seagate-720011-drives/

That is point #7 in both.

Additionally read:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-153#entry968299

jaclaz

Hi,

THX for your fast Answer!

Jeah, I had read this Pages, and a lot more, but sometimes its so much reading in a "strange language", so the one or other goes away of my simple sense ;-)

Ok, if I understand specially this point #7, I tell it in my simple words:

The Pin "Grnd" at HDD must Conected with one of the black cables from the HDD-Power-Supply (in my Case the external HDD Power Supply i use),

so I got 3 Points of the construction are connected together.

"Grnd Converter">>>>"Grnd HDD">>>>"Black Cable Power supply" is the shematic?

Sorry for my explicit writing and questioning, i want to cut off any Errors and Fails...

I can't see anywhere on Pictures a connection between this contacts, neither at Mapleleaf, nor here, so i wonder, but, if i understand it right now, i can comprehend this necessity...

So i will test it.

I tell my success (or fail) here...

Casalla