The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

After update with SD1A,my HDD in post was 0 LBA,than i downgrade to SD14 and fix this.procedure was:

F3 T>

F3 T>/2 (enter)
F3 2>

Wait about 20 seconds, then spin down the motor:

F3 2>Z (enter)

Spin Down Complete

F3 2>

remove the cardstock

F3 2>U (enter)

Spin Up Complete

F3 2>

Next go to Level 1 (type /1):

F3 2>/1 (enter)

And do a S.M.A.R.T. erase (create S.M.A.R.T. sector):

F3 1>N1 (enter)

When the prompt comes back up, turn off power to the hard drive, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on. Wait about 20 seconds, then finally do partition regeneration:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter)

I evan try this: F3 1>/T (enter)

F3 T>i4,1,22 (enter)

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter)

I have never received a reported error

When i attach HDD with one where is my sys (windows xp),i cant pick up windows..i evan try to fresh install windows on this HDD.In install process he has been recognized but..when try to format him..process stay at 0%.

EDIT: by both ,sd1a(downgrade to ad14 ..repair ..upgrade to sd1a) or ad14 (repair and stay on ad14) i cant pick up windows

HDD label:

ST3500320AS

S/N:9QM0TEG0

P/N:9BX154-303

Firmw.:SD15

Date code:08316

Site code:KRATSG

Thailand

Edited by marty1234

The ONLY things that should be done after an unbricking are:

1. image the disk/save the data (if needed)
  2. run the Seagate tests, BOTH the short and the long one

if any of the two tests fail, throw the stupid disk in the dustbin.

jaclaz

The ONLY things that should be done after an unbricking are:

1. image the disk/save the data (if needed)
  2. run the Seagate tests, BOTH the short and the long one

if any of the two tests fail, throw the stupid disk in the dustbin.

jaclaz

Can i run sea tools without windows?

tnx for replay!

Edited by marty1234

From my opinion you have a problem with controller not with HDD.Have you tried to connect TX with RX?If you haven't even than reply on Hiperterminal,for shure your controller not work.

Controller is working fine, loop tests on controller was successful.

Well, no. :(

Meaning that you posted about having a converter (it is not a controller) based on MAX232 and capable of doing BOTH the "low" and the "high" TTL levels.

(historically 90% - say - of converters based on a MAX232 are ONLY "high" level TTL)

IF - for any reason - that converter works at the "high" TTL level, a loopback test will work alright, BUT it won't be EVER capable of "talking" to the disk.

You have to make SURE that your converter is actually designed to work at the "low" TTL levels AND that is working at those levels.

Please check again the Read-me-first:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

particularly point #6

And/or post a link to the specifications of the actual converter you are using or schematics (if autobuilt).

jaclaz

Well, no. :(

Meaning that you posted about having a converter (it is not a controller) based on MAX232 and capable of doing BOTH the "low" and the "high" TTL levels.

(historically 90% - say - of converters based on a MAX232 are ONLY "high" level TTL)

IF - for any reason - that converter works at the "high" TTL level, a loopback test will work alright, BUT it won't be EVER capable of "talking" to the disk.

You have to make SURE that your converter is actually designed to work at the "low" TTL levels AND that is working at those levels.

Please check again the Read-me-first:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

particularly point #6

And/or post a link to the specifications of the actual converter you are using or schematics (if autobuilt).

jaclaz

ok i do not understand completely what i actually need to have, so this is what i bought, please look at this documents and tell me if this controller(to correct myself) can communicate with hdd>http://www.mikroe.com/downloads/get/1509/max3232_manual_v100.pdf http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX3222-MAX3241.pdf

It is seemingly the "wrong" type of converter.

Compare with:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-163#entry988633

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-108#entry915966

Particularly check this (also linked in the read-me-first):

http://www.interfacebus.com/voltage_threshold.html

The seagate disk - for all we know - uses TTL, i.e. it understands anything between 2.0 and 3.3 V as a "high" and anything between 0.35V and 0.8 V as a "low" (and emiits the same signal levels), if your converter, as I believe uses instead TTL/CMOS levels, the "highs" can be higher that 3.3V and the disk will NOT understand them (the lows should not be a problem).

If you bought it, ask the vendor about which EXACT TTL levels (NOT the Vcc voltage at which it can be powered and from which a device can be powered) the converter uses, since this:

http://www.mikroe.com/downloads/get/1509/max3232_manual_v100.pdf

seems like a "simple" circuit I believe that it is NOT a "variable" one (but it could be :unsure:).

HOW EXACTLY are you powering that converter?

jaclaz

P.S.: Maybe you can get away with a 2.2 kOhm resistor:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-141#entry956029

Edited by jaclaz

Milos87, on 19 Dec 2013 - 6:05 PM, said: ......

ok i do not understand completely what i actually need to have, so this is what i bought, please look at this documents and tell me if this controller(to correct myself) can communicate with hdd>http://www.mikroe.com/downloads/get/1509/max3232_manual_v100.pdf

..................................................................................

This converter must work...i have similar and work fine.Only u have to add external power source (i use two AA bateries=about 3V)

But...i think i know what is your problem...

How start communication with HDD?Write us when all connect and open HyperTerminal what write or do?

Edited by marty1234

Milos87, on 19 Dec 2013 - 6:05 PM, said: ......

ok i do not understand completely what i actually need to have, so this is what i bought, please look at this documents and tell me if this controller(to correct myself) can communicate with hdd>http://www.mikroe.com/downloads/get/1509/max3232_manual_v100.pdf

..................................................................................

This converter must work...i have similar and work fine.Only u have to add external power source (i use two AA bateries=about 3V)

But...i think i know what is your problem...

How start communication with HDD?Write us when all connect and open HyperTerminal what write or do?

Ej druze, ja sam iz Srbije :) javi mi se na mail da podelimo skype kontakt ako mislis da znas sta je problem(gare1987@ymail.com)

@Others and @jaclaz operational range for this controller to work is 3.3v to 5v and it is same controller as 232 but 232 have operational range from 5v and up to(i think) 12v, so in theory communication should work with HDD with 3.3v and with 5v, i tried each voltage.

I powered connector from my PSU, i got first time wire from 3.3v and no luck with communication, and second time wire with 5v. Controller was connected with laptop through USB-Serial port cable, so i can use my PSU only for powering HDD and Controler.

Edited by Milos87

No. :(

You are still confusing the POWER levels (Vcc) with TTL levels.

Mind you, I am not saying I am right (though I am right ;)), you asked for help and you were told what is in my opinion the things to do:

1. verify with the manufacturer that the converter uses 3.3v TTL levels (as it seems NOT like that converter operates at 3.3v TTL levels)

The fact that it works when powered at 5 V BUT DOES NOT WORK when powered at 3 V indirectly confirms this.

You are of course perfectly free to ignore this advice. :)

jaclaz

No. :(

You are still confusing the POWER levels (Vcc) with TTL levels.

Mind you, I am not saying I am right (though I am right ;)), you asked for help and you were told what is in my opinion the things to do:

1. verify with the manufacturer that the converter uses 3.3v TTL levels (as it seems NOT like that converter operates at 3.3v TTL levels)

The fact that it works when powered at 5 V BUT DOES NOT WORK when powered at 3 V indirectly confirms this.

You are of course perfectly free to ignore this advice. :)

jaclaz

have you looked at datasheet i posted? and are there indication of operational ttl levels?

have you looked at datasheet i posted? and are there indication of operational ttl levels?

Yes :yes:, I have looked and No :no:, there are not, hence I suggested you to ask the vendor as - from the schematics - it seems to me like that converter works ONLY at 5v TTL levels (which is what I am trying to tell you since my very first reply).

Don't ask me, ask the vendor, or get another SURELY 3.3V TTL level converter or get an oscilloscope and test the converter you have.

You have now all the info you need to make sure the converter is of the right kind or it is not (it is not IMHO) and you were told what a suitable procedure to make sure which kind is it (ask the people you bought it from).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Milos87..once again...question:How start communication with HDD?Write us when all connect and open HyperTerminal what YOU write or doing?there is your problem i think..I said this 'cose i believe big % of non working case is very simple mistake from start comunication on hyperterminal

btw. in datasheet of your converter is:

key features:

-Serial...

-Low...

-3.3v or 5.0v power supply voltage (this mean than you can choose) and this 3.3v is good.

this is mine converter and u can see that like yours got 3232 chip (like i said two batteries AA in serial and everything B fine---dont forget ground from HDD to battery!)

post-385763-0-19802900-1387565598_thumb.

Edited by marty1234

Thank You all for interesting, i will post again when i check output TTL levels.
@jaclaz, i would like that you look again mine post when i check everything again, to see what is a problem. I will post here for further help if i needed. thanks

@marty1234 imas mail pa cemo se cuti sutra opet. hvala