The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Done! Finally saved it!

Ok, so, I did the regeration step, without the OFF/ON step, but nothing happened (I waited like 30 minutos just in case). Disconnected everything, and did all steps again (without the OFF/ON), but before the regeneration step I did the Skip G-List step, and that did the trick.

Thank you very much!!

Hi I am working on a friend's drive, a 7200.11 that had a drive spindle seizure. I disassembled the drive and got the drive spindle free. The drive now spins but I get the LBA 0 in bios. I have followed the instructions in the forum to communicate with the drive via TTL. I bought a USB to TTL convertor and tested it via loop back test as recommended. All is fine. I have connected the drive to the PC and Hyperterminal. As soon as I plug in the drive and it starts spinning up I get the following and nothing else "Rst 0x020M" The drive then spin down. I have hit ctrl-z with no results. I have tried this with the card under the pcb and with it out - same information shows on screen. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi I am working on a friend's drive, a 7200.11 that had a drive spindle seizure. I disassembled the drive and got the drive spindle free. The drive now spins but I get the LBA 0 in bios. I have followed the instructions in the forum to communicate with the drive via TTL. I bought a USB to TTL convertor and tested it via loop back test as recommended. All is fine. I have connected the drive to the PC and Hyperterminal. As soon as I plug in the drive and it starts spinning up I get the following and nothing else "Rst 0x020M" The drive then spin down. I have hit ctrl-z with no results. I have tried this with the card under the pcb and with it out - same information shows on screen. Any help would be appreciated.

Strange, if it was an error, you should have something *like*:

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024CDC9

RST 0x20M

(P) SATA Reset

Which TTL adapter did you get/use?

Are you sure it is a 3.3V one?

Can you try it with another drive?

Is it properly grounded?

See:

BTW it is very possible that the drive is gone, but if now it spins (and it spins correctly) the spindle seizure should have not caused any kind of issue to the "firmware".

The procedure you used to free it may well have damaged (further) something, but still you should have a "more verbose" kind of error. :unsure:

There is no such thing as "the card under the PCB", there is:

1. card under the PCB head contacts
  2. card under the PCB motor contacts

(if you tried the first, try with the second and viceversa)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Jaclaz,

Thanks for the quick reply. The procedure to unseize the spindle certainly was risky. I did not see the drive prior to the seizure so I do not know much about it other than it was installed in a external closure and was knocked over.

I found the spindle locked hard. I bought the USB UART kit from ebay.; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280748167812&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123. I will test voltages. I put the card under the head contacts and it provided just the Rst 0x20M response. I put the USB UART into loop back and it echoed all characters. I will also test it on a Seagate 500 gig drive to see if it provides any insights. I do not know how to verify grounding properly? It is connected to the GRD pin shown in the forum diagrams.

I followed the link you provided; One user found success in removing the PCB and attempting to communicate to the PCB by itself. I tried this and it responded to CNTL+z so now I have

Rst 0x20M

ASCII Diag Mode

F3 T>

I have stopped here and will await your response before I proceed. I am traveling so I may not see your response for a couple of hours.

Thanks again.

I followed the link you provided; One user found success in removing the PCB and attempting to communicate to the PCB by itself. I tried this and it responded to CNTL+z so now I have

Rst 0x20M

ASCII Diag Mode

F3 T>

I have stopped here and will await your response before I proceed.

Yes, that means "success" :thumbup (in connecting only) .

The adapter is OK, then.

If you re-check the very first post of this thread, the "original" was to access the thingy with the PCB completely detached and then, at a given point, reconnect it, place screws back in their holes and tighten them while still "live" :ph34r: .

Of course it is more risky (and you need to be more careful) than the later found trick of the cardboard (no risk of screwdriver slipping, screws falling and shorting anything on the PCB, etc.).

An alternate way (which was never used/tested specifically on these drives but that has been used on other devices needing a "live" re-connection) is to make a cardboard mask of the "top" of the PCB, with just the screw holes "punched through", this way when you put back the PC and place and re-tighten the screw there is no risk of making shorts.

But still the cardboard trick "between PCB and disk" has always worked, the matter is just that for *unknown reasons* for some people the head contacts were the one to insulate, for other they were the motor ones.

It is very possible that your previous failure at connecting was a "glitch in the matrix" and if you try again you will connect alright.

Double check the connections on the Tx/Rx pins, and if needed "tighten" them.

I am traveling so I may not see your response for a couple of hours.

No prob, you have all the time in the world (and even more) :) though I hope you are not attempting to do the unbricking on a bus or on a train :w00t::ph34r: .

"unbricking on the road" and "juggling unbricking" are entirely new frontiers ;).

Thanks again.

You are welcome :).

Keep us posted of progresses/results.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Back, reconnected board with cardboard blocking both connectors on pcb (motor and head). Typed:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 <enter>

Immediate and repeating response:

LED:000000CC FADddr:0025DDD9

I am searching forum now.... Like a bloodhound on the scent!!!!

Jaclaz

I did the following steps: See near end:

Rst 0x20M

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>ü

Rst 0x20M

Rst 0x20M

Rst 0x20M

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025DDD9

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025DDD9À

Rst 0x20M

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.133 msecs

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 8.710 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>

Rst 0x20M

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 00C8

DiagError 0000500D

User Partition Format Failed - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 00000084, File Error 00001002

Blk Addr 01080001, Blk Addr Type D0, Cyl 01720000, Hd 00

F3 T>

Read another post by you for "DiagError 0000500D" and tried to get Cntl+L -- got DiagError 00007001 -- probably cannot issue this command from F3 T> level -- will check.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I tried to fix my HDD but there are some problem

I did it step by step

But after spin up ( I mean "U" command ) for " N1" and other commands I get "Unable to load diag overlay"

also I can hear a tik,tik,tik,tikkkkkk.............. noise from HDD after N1 command and after a few second I got above error

I also do "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 " commads and i get this message:

"Error 1008 DETSEC 0000500E Process Defect List Error

R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 00000001"

I also Thought about a Hardware problem but I dont have enough knowledge about HDD

anyone has the same problem or any idea why I got that error

plz Help me guys

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 10.973 secs

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 31.886 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

Unable to load Diag Overlay

F3 1>/T

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Error 1008 DETSEC 0000500E Process Defect List Error

R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 00000001

*************************************************************************************

@ehsantlk

Are you insulating Head or Motor contacts?

Try CLEANING/VERIFY contacts.

If they are good, then unfortunately it is likely to be a broken/dead head. :ph34r:

jaclaz

thanks for answer

I cleaned it several time and there was no change

and if it's a head problem then is there any chance to fix it by opening it( in a clean room) or something that I can do

and if it's a head problem then is there any chance to fix it by opening it( in a clean room) or something that I can do

No, nothing that you can do yourself, and head failures are basically of two kinds:

1. head failure (simply)
  2. head failure because of head(s) sticking to a platter (or platters) :ph34r:

if #1 a professional with the appropriate tools/methods should be able to recover data (all of them) after having performed a head transplant.

if #2 the amount of data that can be recovered by the same method above might be very little or none at all.

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

hard drive :ST3500413AS, 500GB, BARRACUDA 7200.12
BUT IT SHOWS:ST_M13FQBL

i use dku-5 cable ,i got nothing when ctl+z pressed IN TRMINAL

please replay,i want to backup my data
thanks in advance

Edited by puntoMX

What is the difficult part in "The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs" that you don't understand? :unsure:

jaclaz

i understand all procedure but when i apply this procedure with may hard drive ST3500413AS, 500GB, BARRACUDA 7200.12 with dku-5 cable .when i pressed ctl+Z in terminal then i got nothing