The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Wait, so while it's not stuck - is there anything that can be done to make it read at least without those long intervals?

Sure, professional repair. :angel

I understand it may seem pointless to try, but I'm still curious...

I would call you more "stubborn" than "curious", but that's OK. :)

Also it's not 500GB, but 1.5 Tb.

My bad :blushing: , consider the previous "60-100 US $" range as "80-120 US$" instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603%20600003269%20600003316&IsNodeId=1&name=1.5TB

a dramatic 20-30% :w00t: increase that makes the option slightly less convenient ;).

jaclaz

Wait, so while it's not stuck - is there anything that can be done to make it read at least without those long intervals?

Sure, professional repair. :angel

I understand it may seem pointless to try, but I'm still curious...

I would call you more "stubborn" than "curious", but that's OK. :)

Also it's not 500GB, but 1.5 Tb.

My bad :blushing: , consider the previous "60-100 US $" range as "80-120 US$" instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603%20600003269%20600003316&IsNodeId=1&name=1.5TB

a dramatic 20-30% :w00t: increase that makes the option slightly less convenient ;).

jaclaz

Hm, I understand about "professionals" with their thousand dollar equipment and whatever training...but I prefer to try all possible ways first :D After doing a bit more research I'm fairly certain now that the heads are faulty and need cleaning http://www.soyouwanna.com/clean-head-hard-drive-26646.html

Hm, I understand about "professionals" with their thousand dollar equipment and whatever training...but I prefer to try all possible ways first :D After doing a bit more research I'm fairly certain now that the heads are faulty and need cleaning http://www.soyouwanna.com/clean-head-hard-drive-26646.html

Yeah, sure :thumbup , with that set of instructions you are good to go.

Remember that you need unpowdered latex gloves ;) and a VERY "clean and dust-free room indoors", as a matter of fact you would actually need something like a small clean room, *like* the one hinted about here:

Good luck for the cleaning with compressed air *any* head on a multiplatter disk, and particularly those on non-first platter and the underside one of first platter :angel .

JFYI, and OT, last time I had a faulty piston on my car, it didn't start working after I cleaned it :(.

jaclaz

last time I had a faulty piston on my car, it didn't start working after I cleaned it :(.

Oh duh, you obviously didn't use a clean garage and updated the firmware of the engine management :no:

Oh, yes, I did, I also cleaned VERY thoroghfully both sides of the crack that divided the piston in two halves, really.

Still it didn't work. :(

jaclaz

So ok, I'm gonna remove the heads first then.

Well, if you cannot afford a tool like the mentioned one:

http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=17926&start=

At least get some "medicine blisters", at least Scott Moulton:

http://myharddrivedied.com/

can move heads with them:

(please remember to count the number of platters of the disks shown in the above video)

Got nothing to lose either way. I doubt condensed air would help though, perhaps I should use something else ?

Naaah, the air being "condensed" is the least of the issues here.

jaclaz

Dear MSFN Users,

I have also some of these very awesome piece of sh** hard drives.. Now I have first swapped my PCB, but with a Firmware Swap. That means that I have my EEPROM chip resoldered to the new Board.

But then I noticed, it is not the Board maybe its the BSY Bug!

Soo.. Then I bought an CA-42 cable and followed this tutorial:

I noticed after that, nothing.. Still in the BIOS was shown nothing.. I pressed CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart and then abrakadabra.. There it is! (It is kinda confusing me so much) So I have boot it finally up. After a quite while, I noticed, that it was veryyyyyyyyyyyy slow! And then I thought it has stuck on the boot process, so I shut my PC down and start it again.. And then again, in the BIOS was nothing -.-

So after a quite while I noticed that thing here, the G-List step! So I tried the whole BSY fix with the commands in this thread again.. Still same s*** with BIOS and CTRL+ALT+DEL! Now it does not even boot, it stucks after a while and there is written an Windows 7 Boot Load Error! Then I thought hmm maybe some files are corrupt, let's try a Live-CD of Ubuntu! So it boot after a quite while finally up and the drive was also shown in Ubuntu but when I try to open it over Nautilus I get the Error: Cannot access on it because it is in use.. Or kinda like that error..

So I start again.. Searched and searched.. Nothing.. In the end I also tried that Tutorial again:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

After that same problem.. Nothing happened... I'm quite tired.. I was sitting here now 6-7 hours just for fixing it.. The whole costs of the drive fixing were now on 50€! And still nothing.. I just want some files back.. Cannot I do anything else? Like upgrading the firmware or something else with the Hyperterminal?

Please help me..

Kind regards Arman! Sorry for my bad English, I'm German..

Cannot I do anything else? Like upgrading the firmware or something else with the Hyperterminal?

Please help me..

The "basic error" (besides the various attempts you made - particularly erasing the G-list), is/was to assume that an unbricked disk:

1. still has a perfectly functional filesystem
  2. can still boot a "complex" OS like a NT one as it did before the bricking

Both the above are gratuitious assumptions. :w00t:

The whole point is WHY did it "brick itself" originally, if it bricked because of the original issue with the log entry, then those assumptions may be correct, if it bricked itself for any other reason those are VERY unlikely to represent reality.

The only thing that you can do (and that you should have done BEFORE attempting booting from the disk :ph34r: and before attempting accessing files on it's filesystem) is to image the disk on another disk (you will need a slightly larger disk, NTFS formatted (if using Windows) or EXT3/4 formatted (if using Linux) or clone it to a similarly sized disk, surely functional.

You would normally use datarescuedd (Windows) or dd_rescue or ddrescue (Linux) and try to image the whole disk, if needed in "chunks".

Once the filesystem has been transferred (hopefully successfully and the whole of it) on a surely functional media, then you start attempting recovery of the filesystem (if possible) or recovery of the files in it (still as possible).

If you need help in doing the above, please start a new thread, as once the disk is not anymore BSY or LBA0, it exits the scope of the present thread.

jaclaz

Hi, I think i've fried my drive now. :blushing: I got the loopback working on the replacement adapter and got as far as the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22, but I missed the last comme and wrote m0,2,2,0,0,0,022 which gave me an incorrect command warning. Now I can't access my drive on the hyperterminal, can't even get the CTRL-Z prompt to work. Should I start the process over again or would that make matters worse?

Hi, I think i've fried my drive now. :blushing: I got the loopback working on the replacement adapter and got as far as the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22, but I missed the last comme and wrote m0,2,2,0,0,0,022 which gave me an incorrect command warning. Now I can't access my drive on the hyperterminal, can't even get the CTRL-Z prompt to work. Should I start the process over again or would that make matters worse?

Switch everything off (yes, physically remove power to everything, wait some sixty seconds before re-applying power, reboot the PC - just in case) and start again from scratch.

No harm should have been made.

BUT be very careful, and I mean VERY careful when you type commands (BEFORE pressing [ENTER] check, double check and triple check everything) this time you gave a non-existing command, but there are DESTRUCTIVE commands that are valid and that can botch the disk for good :ph34r: .

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Ok I did that and went throught the spin down and up and powered down and after a minute powered up again. The CTRL-Z returned a F3 T> as expected and then nothing. I can't enter m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 or do a CTRL-Z, no reaction from the hyperterminal. :(

Thanks for the info. How do I cancel an input if I have made a mistake? ESC? or ?

Backspace? :unsure:

You cannot actually "cancel" an input, you can go back and overwrite it.

jaclaz

Ok I did that and went throught the spin down and up and powered down and after a minute powered up again. The CTRL-Z returned a F3 T> as expected and then nothing. I can't enter m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 or do a CTRL-Z, no reaction from the hyperterminal. :(

Re-check everything (wires, connections, hypereterminal settings, etc.).

If you get to the F3 T> it means that it connected (and later from what you describe it seems like it lost connection).

jaclaz