The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Ok, I'll byte. :realmad:

Can you just §@ç#ing READ my previous posts AND the links in it?

The .iso that you should use is FreeDos based AND needs NOT any mouse as it is keyboard driven!

If your keyboard misses keys ESC, F1, F10, A, B, C, R, S, Z (and the cursor keys) then you have a problem.

Again:

http://support.seagate.com/firmware/firmware_update_procedure.html

jaclaz

Sorry for my bad englisch:

I have a Seagate St3500620AS with Firmware HP12 and the BSY Problem. I have followed all steps. But when I power the disk off and on again, nothing happens in the Terminal. CTRL Z doesn't response.

When i´m fast enough, i can tap m0,2,2,,,,,22 but nothing happens after 10 minutes. The interface works because I have it already revived 2 HDD´s

My steps:

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.141 msecs

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 6.549 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

F3 T>i4,1,22

Power off, 10-15 sec waiting, power on

no response to terminal

any Ideas???

I have already read and tried. Successful Loopback test.

Sure :), otherways you would have had no connection.

When I turn on the HDD again and wait longer than 8 seconds, then I can not do anything with ctrl z.

Under 8 sec I can just type the command but nothing happens after 10 minutes

Please, try the mentoned guide (that has slighly different procedures and commands) INSTEAD of the set of commands/procedure you reported.

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

jaclaz

I've read everything. the disk responds to the point where I turn the power back on, then nothing happens. When I'm fast enough during the startup process, I can enter the command yet. Then happened but nothing more.

I've read everything. the disk responds to the point where I turn the power back on, then nothing happens. When I'm fast enough during the startup process, I can enter the command yet. Then happened but nothing more.

The given (now for the third time :realmad: ) guide is DIFFERENT form what you posted.

If you do the SAME things you posted, you will probably have SAME results.

Try the DIFFERENT approaches in the given guide:

More explicitly, it says to try having the power disconnected for 60 (sixty) seconds, and NOT 15 (fifteen) as you posted AND ALSO says that some people had better success NEVER takng power out BUT simply changing level:

At this point, many say you need to disconnect the SATA power cable from the drive and wait one minute. Yes, count to sixty. Then plug the SATA power cable back into the drive. There is a bit of debate about this step in the forums but that is what I did and it worked fine in my case. *IF and only if* you choose not to disconnect drive power temporarily, you need to at least change back to the test level prompt (type F3 1>/T (enter)) at this point before continuing.

jaclaz

I tried everything I found on the forum and on the web. The left of you, the first entry was just an example that I have tried. But all to no avail. It all goes only up to the point where I have to turn on the power again. The adapter is fine, because I have successfully revived in the meantime another 2 HDD´s. I just noticed that the PCB is very very hot. But not matter, because I returned the HDD back to the customer. This allows the post to be closed.

THX

I tried everything I found on the forum and on the web. The left of you, the first entry was just an example that I have tried. But all to no avail. It all goes only up to the point where I have to turn on the power again. The adapter is fine, because I have successfully revived in the meantime another 2 HDD´s. I just noticed that the PCB is very very hot. But not matter, because I returned the HDD back to the customer. This allows the post to be closed.

THX

It's good to be able to "close" this issue, but still, since one of the approaches suggested is to NEVER turn the power off during the procedure, it makes NO SENSE whatsoever that you are blocked when you power on again (you simply cannot "turn power on again" if you never switched it off).... :whistle:

jaclaz

OK, I got today the ordered cable. Let the HDDs total destruction begin ! :D Wish me luck. I hope the gizmo I ordered works and I don't do something stupid, like really bricking the HDDs.

Edited by Phaenius

OK, I installed the cable and driver, it is recognized by Windows now, but I run Windows 7 and don't have HyperTerminal. I downloaded it from Windows XP and (with the adapter cable plugged in, but nothing attached to the other side) I tried to type something to see if I get some response on screen, like I read somewhere. Nothing happened when I pressed buttons on my PC keyboard. I could see the red led on the cable adapter flashing each time I pressed a key, but nothing appeared on the HyperTerminal screen. Did I need to plug something (in my case the HDD) to the other end, in order to see if I get a response (test) from my cable adapter ? If so, does the HDD needs to be powered on ?

And another thing. The cable is a converter from USB. It added an USB Serial Port (COM10) to Device Manager. Port settings for this device are defaulted to 9600-8-N-1-N. Do I need this port to modify to 38400-8-N-1-N as well, like I do for HyperTerminal or should I leave those settings as they are ?

Still, I didn't try anything with my HDD on. I am trying to do this correctly and not miss some important step or do something incorrect.

My adapter bought is this model:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FT232BM-BL-Seagate-Barracuda-7200-11-Firmware-Fix-tool-complete-USB-powered-/280748167812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415de51284

Thanks.

Edited by Phaenius

Phaenius, the idea of a read-me-first and of FGA's is to have them read FIRST, so that ALWAYS THE SAME questions are not asked anymore, since they are ALREADY answered (nothwistanding this this SAME questions have been asked OVER and OVER and OVER on this thread, and either answered directly or a pointer to the read-me-first or to the FGA's has been given):

If you had actually read them you would know how to perform a loopback test - which is what is advised BEFORE anything else to make sure that the adapter is not DOA and drivers, etc. are working.. (and - conversely - the utter futility of expecting anything with nothing connected to the adapter), besides point #8 of read-me-first and #4 of FGA's this info is not really hidden, and it is not very difficult to understand intuitively.

When you type "Hello" on the Hyperterminal, you are sending "Hello" on the Tx wire.

Since nothing is connected to it, your "Hello" gets lost in the atmosphere.

If you connect rtogether the TX and Rx cable, your "Hello" may echo back, returning to your hyperteminal through the Rx ..... :angel

Does the recommended guide here:

tell anything about directly changing the COM port parameters?

Or does it tell you to ONLY change them in Hyperterminal? :whistle:

The idea of a guide/tutorial/read-me-first etc, is to try doing EXACTLY what is written in there WITHOUT any changes, modifications, etc.

Please do your homeworks, read the available resources, avoid asking AGAIN questions answered over and over, do not mix things "like I read somewhere"....

jaclaz

You don't want me to be a happy bunny... :( You are so :realmad: at me...

I do understand the idea of tutorials, but there are so many and cross-linked, I'll get lost. I will try and read as much as I can.

Thanks for the links.

Edited by Phaenius

I do understand the idea of tutorials, but there are so many and cross-linked, I'll get lost. I will try and read as much as I can.

Yep, but the idea (in order to simplify) is:

1. forget (temprarily) anything read anywhere else :w00t:
  2. read the read-me-first
  3. if you have questions, they are likely to be Frequntly Asked ones, thus probably you will find the answers in the FGA's
  4. follow the recommended tutorial (and NOT anyone else)

jaclaz