The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Sorry, coming late to the discussion. Have the ST31500341AS for some time and it died long time ago. Did not have time to take care of it until now.

Recently saw an option - PCB exchange. Did that, but no luck. Realised that i started from a wrong direction - only after PCB exchange had a look at BIOS. I know, no excuses.

The HDD showed 0GB in BIOS. So, it should be LBA0 (at least in theory solvable)

Then i read the following forums/threads:

- Canadian suggeste also in jaclaz post http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

- MSFN jaclaz Rad-me-1st http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

- This one - The Solution for Seagate7200.11 HDDs http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/

Bought a USB to TTL adapter. Installed HyperTerminal on Win7x64. Connected the HDD.

1. If any of the connections (motor or head, this one being suggested in other formus as well) is covered with cardboard HDD would not react at all to any CTRL-Z.

2. HDD does react to CTRL-Z only when both motor+head are in contact with PCB.

3. Hyperterminal reacts to COM4, not to COM1 (on COM1 no sign of life). Tried RealTerm to no response at any options.

4. Hyperterminal (only with Head and Motor connected) allows to shift to /1 or /2 levels and /T level, to spin down or up the HDD etc.

5. But as soon as I reach the F3 1>N1 it gives and error

Init SMART Fail

LED:000000CC FAddr:00239CED

6. Errors (DiagError 0000500D) appear when trying:

a.) F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 0000

DiagError 0000500D

User Partition Format Failed - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 00000084, File Error 00001002

Blk Addr 7B400001, Blk Addr Type D0, Cyl FFFD0000, Hd 80

b.) Same error appeared when i tried F3 T>m0,1,1,2,2,0,0,22

c.) at the end tried even F3 T>m0,1,1,0,0,0,0,22

All of them gave the same error.

7. Tried G-List erase ( i4,1,22) and entire BSY, just in case. nothing. when it comes to N1 or m0,etc it gives erros.

Should I proclaim it dead:)?

Edited by v71

Possibly, yes :( (as far as we know :blushing: ).

But it is the first case I ever recalled of a 7200.11 not responding to CTRL+Z when board entirely detached (or with one or the other set of contacts insulated).

There is only one other reference I could find similar to your case:

http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Hardware/HDD/seagate-topik-7200-sujet_796558_116.htm

Having attempted the PCB swap may have compromised the situation, but you were EXTREMELY lucky that somehow you are having that error, see what happens with

m0,1,1,2,2,0,0,22:

:ph34r:

The COM4 v s. COM1 is a non-issue it is simply the driver that maps the COM as COM4.

Are you sure that everything is connected and grounded properly?

Have you tried the 1 minute disconnection from power as in http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html ? :

At this point, many say you need to disconnect the SATA power cable from the drive and wait one minute. Yes, count to sixty. Then plug the SATA power cable back into the drive. There is a bit of debate about this step in the forums but that is what I did and it worked fine in my case. *IF and only if* you choose not to disconnect drive power temporarily, you need to at least change back to the test level prompt (type F3 1>/T (enter)) at this point before continuing.

jaclaz

platter is scrached and head is dead ,

scratched in outer track that head is locked in track and then head is gone

1. sa in this family is outer ?

2.donor head will lock again in that track position then head gone,

what can i do in this step?

platter is scrached and head is dead ,

scratched in outer track that head is locked in track and then head is gone

1. sa in this family is outer ?

2.donor head will lock again in that track position then head gone,

what can i do in this step?

You are on the wrong forum. :(

If you are capable of a head transplant on a multi-platter disk, you are well beyond our knowledge and experience, you should go here instead:

http://forum.hddguru.com/

or to a similar forum for "professionals".

jaclaz

Possibly, yes :( (as far as we know :blushing: ).

But it is the first case I ever recalled of a 7200.11 not responding to CTRL+Z when board entirely detached (or with one or the other set of contacts insulated).

There is only one other reference I could find similar to your case:

http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Hardware/HDD/seagate-topik-7200-sujet_796558_116.htm

Having attempted the PCB swap may have compromised the situation, but you were EXTREMELY lucky that somehow you are having that error, see what happens with

m0,1,1,2,2,0,0,22:

:ph34r:

The COM4 v s. COM1 is a non-issue it is simply the driver that maps the COM as COM4.

Are you sure that everything is connected and grounded properly?

Have you tried the 1 minute disconnection from power as in http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html ? :

At this point, many say you need to disconnect the SATA power cable from the drive and wait one minute. Yes, count to sixty. Then plug the SATA power cable back into the drive. There is a bit of debate about this step in the forums but that is what I did and it worked fine in my case. *IF and only if* you choose not to disconnect drive power temporarily, you need to at least change back to the test level prompt (type F3 1>/T (enter)) at this point before continuing.

jaclaz

Yes, strange, but real. Rechecked all connections, all good, rx goes to tx and viceversa, ground and vcc connected correctly - still, if Motor or Head are disconnected (or PCB totally removed), no reaction to CTRL-Z.

BTW saw that post on the french forum myself, I was hoping at that time that it might be a solution, it turned out it wasn't.

As for 1 minute disconnection - I never get to this part, since it should come after SMART erase command - the Hyperterminal shows an error when I want to do the SMART erase. Here:

F3 1>N1

Init SMART Fail

And after that error I have to disconnect anyway, since it doesn't react to CTRL-Z anymore (in fact it doesn't react to anything). So I did disconnect, just not at the right step, I think.

...Stuck.

Edited by v71

Basically the detaching of the PCB from the disk is a "trick" to exit a "loop" in which the firmware may go (and it is needed for the BSY fix, NOT for the LBA0 one)

As well, on a fully operational disk there should be no need to detach it, but still, it should work also completely detached.

But always, and particularly with the detached board, GROUNDing is essential, that's why I asked (and you completely failed to reply :whistle: ).

If you recheck the LBA0 fix ONLY you will se how the detaching is not needed at all, as well as the N1, etc., the LBA0 is simply (and ONLY):

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter)

(but when you do so you get DiagError 0000500D, right?)

The only thing that you can try is to try executing the command at a different level, i.e. you could try going to level 3 and then issue the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command

http://forum.freetronics.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=686

(but the issue there was a BSY).

jaclaz

For those wondering which cable to get, I had success with this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AGDTA4

(though for me, the cable came with the TXD and RXD reversed). This is powered from USB so it just works off the bat, but you might need to remove the black plastic on the pins in order to fit into the hard disk pins (and obviously wrap it with some insulating tape).

Download the chip's drivers so your OS can install it properly

http://prolificusa.com/pl-2303hx-drivers/

Goodluck to all, this was very annoying to fix

Basically the detaching of the PCB from the disk is a "trick" to exit a "loop" in which the firmware may go (and it is needed for the BSY fix, NOT for the LBA0 one)

As well, on a fully operational disk there should be no need to detach it, but still, it should work also completely detached.

But always, and particularly with the detached board, GROUNDing is essential, that's why I asked (and you completely failed to reply :whistle: ).

If you recheck the LBA0 fix ONLY you will se how the detaching is not needed at all, as well as the N1, etc., the LBA0 is simply (and ONLY):

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter)

(but when you do so you get DiagError 0000500D, right?)

The only thing that you can try is to try executing the command at a different level, i.e. you could try going to level 3 and then issue the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command

http://forum.freetronics.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=686

(but the issue there was a BSY).

jaclaz

Jacklaz, thanks.

- Unfortunately it is not working detached, but surprisingly it does work attached, which is a bit of contradiction in itself, I think, well it already becomes a theoretical one :(

- GROUNDING - wellllll, I did write that I checked ALL the cables and they were fine ;) OK, but I did not write about each of them. To be fair, though and report comprehensively - I did check and re-check Grounding as well, it was ok, but thanks for reminding.

- I'll try it from level 3 and report later.

Thanks for taking care and answering, really appreciated!

v71

- Unfortunately it is not working detached, but surprisingly it does work attached, which is a bit of contradiction in itself, I think, well it already becomes a theoretical one :(

Yes, in case I have a purely thoeretical explanation. :w00t:

When the firmware is running "normally", it checks the presence of heads and motors and if it can't find them goes in an "isolation" mode, i.e. if any of heads or motor is not found an instruction is executed that shuts off the serial interface.

When a BSY (but not as seen a LBA0) occurs, the firmware "loops" in a more restricted set of instruction that do not comprehend the check for heads and motor, and thus though still running, the procesor never reaches the instructon "shut off the serial".

As I like to say however ;):

- In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is. -

jaclaz

Yes, in case I have a purely thoeretical explanation. :w00t: When the firmware is running "normally", it checks the presence of heads and motors and if it can't find them goes in an "isolation" mode, i.e. if any of heads or motor is not found an instruction is executed that shuts off the serial interface.When a BSY (but not as seen a LBA0) occurs, the firmware "loops" in a more restricted set of instruction that do not comprehend the check for heads and motor, and thus though still running, the procesor never reaches the instructon "shut off the serial".

Yes, this was a good "theoretical" one :thumbup:D

In fact very useful, thank you :yes:

As I like to say however :

- In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is. -

jaclaz

Well, practice showed that issuing the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command on Level 3 was unsuccessful:

F3 3>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Invalid Diag Cmd

(ah, forgot, also unsuccessful was the F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22 but I think at this point it just doesn't matter...)

What the heck, HDD lost, but I had the most important things backed up - so, I just went and bought an open box 2TB Seagate(7200.14) for 76USD and that's it :ph34r:

jaclaz, mille grazie di tutto, incurante dal risultato (hopefully no mistakes) ;)

Edited by v71

What the heck, HDD lost, but I had the most important things backed up - so, I just went and bought an open box 2TB Seagate(7200.14) for 76USD and that's it :ph34r:
Well, that should make you a 76 US$ poorer, BUT 0.5 Tb richer , thus nonetheless happy :thumbup bunny! http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128727&st=10jaclaz

Aha :D well, thanks once again jaclaz and good luck to everyone in the forum. goodbye :hello: