The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

@jaclaz,

Will this procedure work on a drive that displays no issues? I just wanted to try to get to at least the very first prompt right after CTRL-Z. Tried TIAO(TUMPA) the OPSEC USB and the RS232/TTL adapters using the bread board etc as shown in "http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html" and I am unable to get to that prompt.

Sure, as long as you don't give commands but just test changing access levels you won't do any harm.

Is there a way to get into this Diagnostic Mode if this is what this mode is called, with other drives such as the Toshiba, Western Digital, Travelstar etc?

Yes/No.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html

Meaning:

Do all disks have an updatable firmware (actually a mini-os)? Yes/No.

Do all modern disks (please define modern) have an updatable firmware (actually a mini-os)? Yes.

Is this firmware available? Yes/No.

Do all disks connect through a TTL? Yes/No.

Even if all disks would connect through TTL, do we know how exactly? No.

If you prefer, why do you think that the good guys at Acelab:

http://www.acelaboratory.com/

manage to successfully sell a piece of hardware (that could be valued at the most 500 bucks) together with some software of theirs for 5 thousand bucks or more (+ something like 2 grands/year per license) ?

jaclaz

Hello everyone,

My barracude 7200.11 just died a couple days ago, and from the symptom, I am convinced it was caused by the BSY firmware bug. I have read the sticky as well as the instructions (and thank you for posting these), and just have one question. Towards the end of the fix procedure, there is a step where we are supposed to enter some low-level commands to "regenerate the partition". Will this erase existing partitions? The disk I have is a 1TB disk but I have divided into 3 or 4 logical partitions (can't remember the exact number :-( . Would the regeneration of partition know there are a few logical partition on the disk and will regenerate the partition table correctly? Or will it simply assume a single partition and therefore erase all my data? Thanks.

-- Jim

Hi all,

I read back about 10 pages in the archive, and tried a search, but couldn't find anyone else has asked this question, which surprises me! The link supplied in the tutorial for the updated firmware is dead, does anyone have an alternative download location for the firmware?

Thank you.

Hi all,

I read back about 10 pages in the archive, and tried a search, but couldn't find anyone else has asked this question, which surprises me! The link supplied in the tutorial for the updated firmware is dead, does anyone have an alternative download location for the firmware?

Thank you.

Which link?

In which post?

Since this thread is now 214 pages, you looked at less that 5% of it, no wonder you didn't find a reference to it.

What is the actual question?

Which specific firmware do you need/want?

jaclaz

Hi all,

Thank you.

Is this what you are looking for? I downloaded the bootable CD ISO last night and it worked fine (ISO burned and booted fine, but not firmware update since my HDD is still a brick and am waiting for some equips).

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/207951en

okay, I need some serious help here. My first attempt just failed miserably. Bought a Nokia CA-42 cable and tried to rig it with RS232 female connectors on the other end of the 3 wires. But no matter which Windows (XP, vista, and 7) I connect it to, device manager installed the correct driver (prolific) and assigned it to COM3, but the icon kept showing a yellow exclamation point (and on XP, it says the device failed to start). Then when I go into putty and later HyperTerminal, I couldn't get them to connect to COM3 (didn't even show up in HyperTerminal). After a few tries, the stupid CA-42 just broke and I just wasted about 20 bucks (cable + connectors + crimper)

Out of panic, I ordered the readily made http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280748167812&_trksid=p2992.m753 from eBay which will take about a week before it arrives at my door, but then it occurred to me, what if my Windows won't recognize it either? Is it guaranteed to be recognized? Because that is another 20 bucks I just threw in.

Did anyone run into the same problem with the device COM port? How did you manage to solve it?

Edited by standingbear

My first attempt just failed miserably. ... device manager installed the correct driver (prolific) and assigned it to COM3, but the icon kept showing a yellow exclamation point (and on XP, it says the device failed to start)...

How sure are you of the correctness of the driver? Is that the driver from the driver cd that came from the converter? There is no universal driver for all Nokia CA-42 cables and the best way to get the right driver is to get it from the driver cd that came with that specific converter. Also see FGA #6.

thanks bloubul and jaclaz. I came across this FGA but it just didn't register (I blame these made-it-look-easy youtube videos). I plugged in the cable and it installed the prolific driver (didn't even notice the CD came with the cable until later), and decapped the cable, and then the solder on the tiny wires broke after a while (and I dont have a soldering gun). I just ordered the kit from ebay that is specific for fixing the 7200.11 firmware issue, does anyone know if it comes with driver?

does anyone know if it comes with driver?

No.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html

What we can say is that on the page you linked to there is a link to a driver. :whistle:

Connect the module to the computer. If drivers are needed

download at :

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

jaclaz

I deserved that... thank you for pointing it out to me.

What we can say is that on the page you linked to there is a link to a driver. :whistle:

download at :

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

jaclaz

I went back to ebay and looked at the page over and over for 3 times before I was able to spot the link -- blue on black is hard to see, but I went back after I clicked the link you copied above, so it was dark purple on black... so glad you point this out to me otherwise I would've never noticed it.

:blushing:

I went back to ebay and looked at the page over and over for 3 times before I was able to spot the link -- blue on black is hard to see, but I went back after I clicked the link you copied above, so it was dark purple on black... so glad you point this out to me otherwise I would've never noticed it.

:blushing:

Sure, the guy is a marketing genius, buying adapters at US $ 4.99 or less and re-selling them for 19.99 by advertising them as "7200.11", you cannot pretend that he is also an artist at web design :w00t::angel .

Now, guess WHY exactly Opera has a nice button to switch any html page from "Author" to "User" view? :unsure:;)

But actually, the

download at :

is yellow on black, even if you dont' see the blue on black link below it, the suspect that a link should be there should have crossed your mind.....

Just for the record, Italians are better at it as a few can get as much as 30 Euros:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/INTERFACCIA-USB-3V-TTL-per-HD-Seagate-7200-11-no-rs232-/190512846745?pt=Accessori_per_Radioamatori&hash=item2c5b735799

by fitting to another 5 buck value converter the appropriate connector for the Seagate, let's say 1 addtional buck, though affirming (as he does) that

Questo prodotto e montato con componenti professionali.

il connettore lato HD e passo 2mm originale americano

questo e importante, altrimenti si rischia di perdere i dati sul HD

i.e.:

This products is assembled with professional components.

The HD side connector is 2 mm pitch original american

this is important, otherwise one risks to lose the data on the HD.

is "psychological terrorism". :ph34r:

jaclaz