Can't play wmv

Octopuss

Regular business with WMP removed? And, removed how?

vLite

What a POS software.

If you leave things alone, they'll actually work. WMP is a real POS IMO, but it's not Microsoft's fault is your install isn't working here.

Well, I would say it IS their fault when I can't install something that should be possible to.

Once you use vLite, it is no longer their fault. You've removed components that the designers expect to be there. All bets are off once you use vLite, and blaming Microsoft for a component not working when you remove something it depends on is just insane.

You went out of your way to buy a crippled WMP-less version... You're the first person I even hear of that's done so (there is no demand at all for it, only 1500 units of XP N was sold to OEMs and even less so to customers, likely even less for Vista N). I wouldn't be surprised if lots of media stuff doesn't work on it, much like many apps don't work for those who insist on stripping IE from the OS.

BTW, Paul Thurrott seems to have had no particular issues with XP N. Not that I've tried either, nor ever plan on doing so.