The Default Gateway is not available

Tumps

I have installed the Windows 7 Beta 64bit and now have problems with my internet as every few mins it cuts off and i have to "Repair" to get it back and i am told this happens because

"The Default Gateway is not available"

i have reset all my routers and modems and it still keeps happening............ any ideas would be much appreciated!

If you need more info i'll do the best i can!

What network device is installed on the machine, and what driver is being used? I've not had that problem on the 5 or so machines I have running Win7, so this is quite likely a problem with the network driver (if you have installed antivirus software that installs an LSP layer, that could be it too, of course).

If you uninstall NOD and the problem continues, you will likely have to find a newer network card driver from nVidia (or report the problem to them and Microsoft via the "Send Feedback" links all over the OS) to get it fixed.

It still seems to be working, and i installed that with the driver this time round,

My problem now is accessing My Network HDD

I get Error Code 1208

And told i don't have permissions to access it!

But i my a shortcut through one of my other PC's to it and i can get it

Weird any clues on that?

• 2 weeks later...

I am also getting disconnected. I've disabled my VS, uninstalled it and installed a new one. I've also disabled my firewall. Each time same result. I checked my nvidia n-force networking controller drivers. They are up to date. The problem seems to be triggered by macromedia flash Web sites. Comcast.net videos and Myspace trigger a disconnect within a minute or two and each time with the error "The default gateway is not available." This problem did not exist for me in Vista. Help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem... using the x86 version of Win7, nVidia nForce network controller

and avast home 4.8 AV

I have tried the latest drivers (official and BETA) and still get the same results... internet cutting out every 5-10 minuits with same error as above.

I don't want to un-install avast as it is the only AV that i have found consistantly effective and the other AV's that are "supported" by Win7 are very buggy resource hogs and basicaly rubbish.

This is rather annoying as it never happend on vista, but i don't want to go back to vista because i really like and am now familliar with Win7

Has anyone fixed this problem?

If so, any help would be great.

thanks

Edited by rusty1983

I have since gone back to vista but i did manage to fix it..........

but i used the Beta Drivers.......... but if you say you have tried them then ok

Only other thing is to Get the beta driver and fully uninstall the current drivers then install it fresh

hope this helps

OK

That didn't work....still happening.

I have noticed it is more frequent if i am playing any type of media e.g windows media player (mp3's) or VLC (Xvid's)

However,

I can stream a whole TV show from 4OD or BBCi Player without it cutting out, but very frequent when listening to music.

After trying multiple drivers, I deffinatly think this is a microsoft problem rather than nVidia

Lets just hope they release some sort of fix for nVidia chipsets.

Guess it's my own fault for using a BETA OS as primary

Thanks and any more info then please don't hold back on me, as you can imagine it's very frustrating

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Having similar problem here RTL8168B, Avast AV, Win 7 x64

My problem differs a bit though. I leave my computer on 24/7 and the problem often occurs when I've been away for a while. Sometimes it helps turning off all applications that would use the internet connection when i leave, but not always.