Can't access repair my PC option via F8 startup

NUTTER123

If I were you I would (provided that you have FULLY imaged that drive and have thus a "way back"):

1. unhide the now hidden partition (so that it gets a drive letter)
  2. verify that it is first partition of first hard disk
  3. verify that i tit there are the \sources\boot.wim and boot.sdi files
  4. run the SetAutoFailover.cmd ]with command (provided that the unhidden partition is D:\ ):
    SetAutoFailover.cmd /target D: /wim /nohide

as seen in the given link:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/winre/archive/2007/01/12/how-to-install-winre-on-the-hard-disk.aspx

jaclaz

[in the post from the 27. january i that, that i tryed it with X: ... that was not right, i tryed it with F:, but i edited it already]

First of all, i made it! I tryed to do it with the Setautofailover! I booted with the Vista-DVD and tryed it in the Command Prompt of the Repair-options!

the called Setautofailover.cmd returned a lot of ERRORS. (attached as screenshot SETWINRE.JPG)

So i had to add 2 entries, which the script didn´t add! It was:

BCDEDIT -set {default} recoveryenabled yes

BCDEDIT -set {default} recoverysequence {572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d}

Don´t ask me, why the script didn´t do that job

I used a little canged syntax, because there was that file called setwinre.cmd and i thought, that FSC put it there to use it. But it didn´t seem, that it is there to use it again, as the Recovery-Partition has already the ID=27. By the way, the Partition isn´t hiddn! Just the fact, that it has the ID=27, Windows won´t assign a letter to it!

I didn´t want to change anything @ the WinRE-Partition so far. But now, i want to cange the default language to "DE" (German) ... Maybe u can say, what to cange!

The costum recovery-tool, i found in the BOOT.WIM in the directory \sources\recovery\tools\bin\ (i posted a screenshot of the directory in the past, dont know which post)

But the solution is that easy! I used the letter F: because when i boot with the Vista-DVD, go to "REPAIR-OPTIONS" and go to Command-Prompt, F: was the WinRE partition! Instead of that, u have to use the variable [\Device\HarddiskVolume1], as this is the first Partition! (The ID27-Partition)

Just use this commands, to restore the Partition [but u have to adapt the Guid for RAM-disk, the RED-one]

BCDEDIT -set {default} recoveryenabled yes

BCDEDIT -create {572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d} -d "Windows Recovery Environment" -application OSLOADER

BCDEDIT -set {default} recoverysequence {572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d}

BCDEDIT -set {572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d} device ramdisk=[\Device\HarddiskVolume1]\sources\boot.wim,{ad6c7bc8-fa0f-11da-8ddf-0013200354d8}

BCDEDIT -set {572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d} path \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

BCDEDIT -set {572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d} osdevice ramdisk=[\Device\HarddiskVolume1]\sources\boot.wim,{ad6c7bc8-fa0f-11da-8ddf-0013200354d8}

BCDEDIT -set {572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d} systemroot \windows

BCDEDIT -set {572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d} detecthal yes

BCDEDIT -set {572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d} nx optin

BCDEDIT -set {572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d} winpe yes

BCDEDIT -set {572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d} custom:46000010 yes

Thats it :]

to Tripredacus:

The answer on Question#5 is correct!!! Winpeshl.ini is the File, which will be used to extract the Directory/File to use, if u choose the recovery option (the last one)

In my case: AppPath=X:\sources\recovery\tools\recoverypackage\bin\FSCPEStart.exe <-- the FSC-recovery-tool

But maybe, it is TECHNICALLY incorrect, as there is shown the pic (PRE.JPG) first, so its maybe a script, that is executed. The bitmap is in that location:

\sources\recovery\tools\recoverypackage\scripts\bootlogo.bmp. In this Folder there are alot of VBS-Scripts. But it is be possible, that is also compiled in the FSCPEStart.exe :yes:

And i like Windows 7 better as well, but my girl-friend has just a license for Vista! thats the problem ;]

MY NEXT PROJECT:

I WILL UPDATE FACTORY.WIM, as the supplyed one is not usable anymore, because SP1 cannot be installed :]

Hope you 2 guys will follow it! I will start a new Thread, it will be called:

Update the Recovery-Partition-WIM ... But first of all, i have to validate some things... Cy@ Later m8z

EDIT: deleted the attachments

Edited by Schiiwa

BIOS->MBR->BOOTMGR->BCD->HotKey pressed->Recovery OS booting (WINRE) ->get data from factory.wim->restore OS

BIOS (motherboard) looks for drives with a MBR so it knows what it can boot.

MBR is the section on the drive that says "this is bootable" or "this is not bootable"

If it is bootable (In Vista's case), The answer is, find BOOTMGR on the active partition.

BOOTMGR looks at BCD to determine where Windows is located

Windows is loaded.

However, if you choose to run recovery, BOOTMGR changes the BCD, to de-activate the OS volume and active the recovery volume. Then BCD says boot to the active partition, which would then have WinRE. This is because the F8 menu is not part of the OS, it is a bootloader itself. I may have that backwards but the idea is the same.

So far so good...

The reason why you are seeing strange files is that Microsoft did not give OEMs a turnkey solution to make recovery partition in Vista. All OEMs HAD to make their own method (rather in Win7 OEM can use turnkey solution or do whatever they want) so there are subtle differences between Vista recovery partitions between different brands of computers. Also, it is possible that your notebook supports an EFI style boot environment.

I just wrote to Jayclaz, that i think, that there is a turnkey solution to make recovery partition in vista over "F8"!

Meanwhile, i read much about the WinRE @ Vista. There is always told, that the WinRE-Partition has to be the first one. The reason is, that the "Letter" for the ID=27-Partition is [\Device\HarddiskVolume1]. I think, that u can also do it as 2nd partition, with [\Device\HarddiskVolume2]. But i nowhere found this information. I found out over the command:

BCDEDIT /enum all

There is a line:

ramdisksdidecive Partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1

So i tryed it, and it went fine :w00t:

I think that MS deny this information and gets money from the OEMs :realmad:

But thank you anyway. There where alot of useful information in your posts

I think that MS deny this information and gets money from the OEMs :realmad:

But thank you anyway. There where alot of useful information in your posts

Naah.

No conspiracy,

They are NOT after you, rest assured.

Most probably MS simply "convinced" OEM's that they could give the same kind of money they used to give to the Symantec (Ghost) or PCAngel guys to them instead, having a "native" recovery solution.

Most probably the batch is written to be run from the booted system and not from the PE on the Vista DVD. :unsure:

You in the happy bunny basket now? :yes:

That's good. :)

jaclaz

Good you got it to work. I think I see what that winpeshl.ini was doing. Not really sure what that custom app is, but it still executes the WinRE program (recenv.exe) which displays those 6 options. It will default to 5 options (as you know) but there is another file (that's not winpeshl.ini) that tells recenc.exe what to display as the 6th option.

Most probably the batch is written to be run from the booted system and not from the PE on the Vista DVD.

Don´t think so, because if i would run it from my system, the parameter /mainos {current} is just needed, if you run it from the R.-E./P.E. as it is explained in the Setautofailover.cmd

• echo /mainos (guid of the main OS) [optional]
  • echo Use the specified GUID for the main OS. By default the script
  • echo assumes the current OS. Note -- always specify this option when
  • echo running from WinPE. To configure the default OS in BCD specify
  • echo {default}.

But doesn´t matter to me. I know the BCDEDIT-Commands and thats enough to fix a similar problem!

For me, that is no conspiracy, i call that reality. It is really hard to imagine, whats going on in background in this sick world... Especially everything around money... Believe me :rolleyes:

If you want to assure me of beeing wrong, you have to show me a link of any MS- or OEM-Site, where this parameter is specified [\Device\HarddiskVolume1] to fix the F8-Issue. :D

The operative point is, that the transaction-volume in $ of the OEMs is a little bit higher that Ghost´s, Acronis´, etc.

So Ghost, Acronis etc are not able to deal with MS :whistle:

But i don´t want to dis MS or the OEMs, it is normal to maximize profit :lol:

bunny.jpg

i-has-a-bunny.jpg

bunny.jpg

The Happy-Bunny-Basket feels good :yes:

If you want to assure me of beeing wrong, you have to show me a link of any MS- or OEM-Site, where this parameter is specified [\Device\HarddiskVolume1] to fix the F8-Issue. :D

I don't really want to prove you wrong :), when dealing with the good MS guys there is always something that is simply inexplicable. :unsure:

Have you ever read the actual ImageX/wim related dll's license (yes, the one everyone has broken, one time or the other)

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19355&st=132

and my carpenter's comparison?

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19355&st=134

The Happy-Bunny-Basket feels good :yes:

I'll need to upgrade to a bigger basket. ;)

Were these rules updated since Vista? I am pretty sure that the Windows System Backup tool (that works in conjunction with WinRE) uses Imagex to create system backups in Windows 7.

Easy Instructions:

1. get the WAIK
  2. open the downloaded .iso with 7-zip
  3. find in root file WAIK_License.rtf
  4. open it in Wordpad
  5. read it ;)

Easier :), download the attached, coming from the KB3AIK_EN.iso I have.

Cannot say if it has changed in the currently downloadable version:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=696DD665-9F76-4177-A811-39C26D3B3B34&displaylang=en

If you want to check without downloading the whole .iso, see here:

http://reboot.pro/13049/

jaclaz

WAIK_License.zip

Edited by jaclaz

Thanx for effort, but have Vista-WAIK already installed ^^

Nice concept... but why not simply copy the needed files on the http-server, or simply extract the iso... anyway, there is no compression in ISO-Format ^^

Maybe for mounting the ISO B)

But i don´t care, because i will never use this parameter ;)

And Jayclaz.... here´s a present for you

basket-1-tm.jpg

Edited by Schiiwa

Nice concept... but why not simply copy the needed files on the http-server, or simply extract the iso... anyway, there is no compression in ISO-Format ^^

Maybe for mounting the ISO B)

Yep , the idea is that you need NOT download 1.7Gb :w00t: to read a lousy EULA 10 Kb in size.

Expecially if you have a slow connection ....

....and a hard disk filled up to the brim.....

Thanks for the basket, I am sure that it will prove useful. :)

jaclaz

Was able to rebuild the Recovery-DVDs. In the Recovery-Package on the Recovery-Partition, there is a visual basic script, which creates a 0-Byte-File! Its called $#Repair\DVD.TAG. Rename this file and the burn-option is available again. But it failed will fail: "823: Variable nicht definiert: 'txtInsertDiskInfo2' " ...

Just add this line...

var txtInsertDiskInfo2 = "Kennzeichnen Sie einen beschreibbaren CD/DVD-Datenträger mit";

in the file \sources\recovery\tools\recoverypackage\scripts\ger\language.js with your own output and it will work again. "ger" can be replaced with your language! Maybe renaming the "DVD.TAG" file is enough, if you choos another language as the first time, because the burning-script will also delete this line. So after burning it is missing again ^^

I ve added it bettween

var txtInsertDiskInfo1 = .....

var txtInsertDiskInfo3 = .....

This is still with the orginal-factory-state of 2006 ^^ Already bought a new hdd due the sectors are clearing away.

Can i copy the raw-image of a 120 gb on a larger drive? Will the system determ the right "unlocated space" in diskmgmt.msc? Would be nice to know, as the USB-Disk is really slow and takes a lot of time!

I am really not sure, if i can use a updated FACTORY.WIM, as the recovery-dvd holds a file called FACTORY0.FPT, which is different to FACTORY.WIM (nearly the same size, but compared with "FC"). But should work, because it has to use Factory.wim as source because of the nearly similar size and fast progress.

Letz have a try.... I think its ok to use imagex for that, because this Laptop was expensive at that time (Nov 2006) and there is a right to an updated system :ph34r:

§ 346 II 1 Nr. 3 GCR (Global Computer Rights)

Edited by Schiiwa

Can i copy the raw-image of a 120 gb on a larger drive? Will the system determ the right "unlocated space" in diskmgmt.msc? Would be nice to know, as the USB-Disk is really slow and takes a lot of time!

Sure you can. :)

Point is if it's OK to have a 120 Gb "set of partitions" + another one or if you want to extend the "main" partition to "fill" the bigger HD.

If I were you I would dd the image "as is" and in case extend it later (once it has proved to be working).

jaclaz

Wasn´t sure, if the geometry is saved in mbr or not. Your answer says, that its not saved ^^ So its just the partition-table, which is included :whistle:

I will delete the DATA D: Partition and increase it to the maximum. As you can see on the image "2. Screen TestDisk" on post #15 on the 1st page, that the structure looks ok (this is still the old HDD), but you said, that the creator of the partition-set has taken bingo-numbers... Why did you say that? Is the start or end of an partition not set correctly. I read somewhere, that the end of an partition has to be at the end of a cluster, sector or zylinder boundary. Or because there is unlocated space between partition 2-3 and between 3-4 ? ^^

Cheers, Chris

And another question is, where is the geometry saved. With testdisk for example, you can change the geometry, but where is it saved. Or will it determed through the OS?