How DO I integrate applications in Vista SP1 setup?

After following FireGeirer's Unattended Vista guide to a "T" I am left with a very bitter taste in my mouth upon discovering this guide is completely outdated as far as integrating/installing applications during Vista unattended setup if you are using a SP1 image. The end result is an installation that will always result in error and never complete.

I know Vista is not as popular in the unattened windows community and the resources/tools are slim pickings, but I'm hoping there is a general consensus on a very streamlined, simple method to integrate/install applications during Vista SP1 unattended setup ala SVCPACK/RunOnceEX in XP. And all from one media source, like a DVD.

I have already tried two app integrator tools and they simply do not work. I'd prefer I learn how to do this in the WAIK, which as of now I am comfortable using to integrate drivers and hotfixes, just the last step (applications) are where I am at a loss.

I am assuming the easiest way would be to run some kind of scripting that runs application installs under the administrator account, be it during setup or the first boot, yes?

Thanks for listening to my rant :blink:

Edited by fragbert

You need to separate the OS install from the App installs. Use a script file to install the apps and have windows autologon and run it once setup is complete. For your answer file, the settings are made in the component "Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup", you need to add this to the "oobeSystem" settings pass.

Configure OOBE as:

<OOBE>

<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>

<NetworkLocation>Other</NetworkLocation>

<ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>

<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>

</OOBE>

Additional settings as:

<ShowWindowsLive>false</ShowWindowsLive>

<StartPanelOff>false</StartPanelOff>

<TimeZone>US Eastern Standard Time</TimeZone> (or what ever your time zone is)

Configure the administrator account:

<UserAccounts>

<AdministratorPassword>

<Value>your password goes here</Value>

<PlainText>true</PlainText>

</AdministratorPassword>

</UserAccounts>

Configure registration settings:

<RegisteredOrganization>Your ORG</RegisteredOrganization>

<RegisteredOwner>Your Name</RegisteredOwner>

Configure the system to autologon with administrator account:

<AutoLogon>

<Password>

</Password>

<Enabled>true</Enabled>

<LogonCount>1</LogonCount>

<Username>administrator</Username>

</AutoLogon>

Set display settings if you want:

<Display>

<ColorDepth>32</ColorDepth>

<HorizontalResolution>1024</HorizontalResolution>

<VerticalResolution>768</VerticalResolution>

</Display>

Set command file to run on autologon (add each command file you need):

<FirstLogonCommands>

<SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">

<CommandLine>c:\script1.cmd</CommandLine>

<Description>Initial Variables</Description>

<Order>1</Order>

</SynchronousCommand>

<CommandLine>c:\script2.cmd</CommandLine>

<Description>Post Configuration Script</Description>

<Order>2</Order>

</SynchronousCommand>

</FirstLogonCommands>

If you add these settings to your answer file, it should finish windows setup, and autologon with the local admin account and run your script files. Then it is up to you what you put in your script files and to amke sure they are there on the C: drive.

After following FireGeirer's Unattended Vista guide to a "T" I am left with a very bitter taste in my mouth upon discovering this guide is completely outdated as far as integrating/installing applications during Vista unattended setup if you are using a SP1 image. The end result is an installation that will always result in error and never complete.

I know Vista is not as popular in the unattened windows community and the resources/tools are slim pickings, but I'm hoping there is a general consensus on a very streamlined, simple method to integrate/install applications during Vista SP1 unattended setup ala SVCPACK/RunOnceEX in XP. And all from one media source, like a DVD.

I have already tried two app integrator tools and they simply do not work. I'd prefer I learn how to do this in the WAIK, which as of now I am comfortable using to integrate drivers and hotfixes, just the last step (applications) are where I am at a loss.

I am assuming the easiest way would be to run some kind of scripting that runs application installs under the administrator account, be it during setup or the first boot, yes?

Thanks for listening to my rant :blink:

Using Martin's guide with a Gold ed or sp1 makes no difference Vista still works unattended the same including installing your apps.

Heck I'm using the same xml as did from Vistas existence. As far as Vista not being popular in unattended that's not true...anything you think of unattended can be done in Vista. You need to do more searching & much testing.

All the best with it.

Using Martin's guide with a Gold ed or sp1 makes no difference Vista still works unattended the same including installing your apps.

Heck I'm using the same xml as did from Vistas existence. As far as Vista not being popular in unattended that's not true...anything you think of unattended can be done in Vista. You need to do more searching & much testing.

All the best with it.

Are you referring to FireGeirer's guide or something else? Do you have a link if so?

I know for an outright fact, confirmed with other posts in this sub-forum, that the specific page on application installs and its instructions to use audit mode will not work in SP1.

You need to separate the OS install from the App installs. Use a script file to install the apps and have windows autologon and run it once setup is complete. For your answer file, the settings are made in the component "Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup", you need to add this to the "oobeSystem" settings pass.

Configure OOBE as:

<OOBE>

<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>

<NetworkLocation>Other</NetworkLocation>

<ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>

<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>

</OOBE>

Additional settings as:

<ShowWindowsLive>false</ShowWindowsLive>

<StartPanelOff>false</StartPanelOff>

<TimeZone>US Eastern Standard Time</TimeZone> (or what ever your time zone is)

Configure the administrator account:

<UserAccounts>

<AdministratorPassword>

</AdministratorPassword>

</UserAccounts>

Configure registration settings:

<RegisteredOrganization>Your ORG</RegisteredOrganization>

<RegisteredOwner>Your Name</RegisteredOwner>

Configure the system to autologon with administrator account:

<AutoLogon>

<Password>

</Password>

<Enabled>true</Enabled>

<LogonCount>1</LogonCount>

<Username>administrator</Username>

</AutoLogon>

Set display settings if you want:

<Display>

<ColorDepth>32</ColorDepth>

<HorizontalResolution>1024</HorizontalResolution>

<VerticalResolution>768</VerticalResolution>

</Display>

Set command file to run on autologon (add each command file you need):

<FirstLogonCommands>

<Order>1</Order>

</SynchronousCommand>

<Order>2</Order>

</SynchronousCommand>

</FirstLogonCommands>

If you add these settings to your answer file, it should finish windows setup, and autologon with the local admin account and run your script files. Then it is up to you what you put in your script files and to amke sure they are there on the C: drive.

Thanks, I will try this out.

• 2 weeks later...
<FirstLogonCommands>

<Order>1</Order>

</SynchronousCommand>

<Order>2</Order>

</SynchronousCommand>

</FirstLogonCommands>

Ok so how do I copy a cmd file to c: during an unattended Vista installation? Also could I run the actual command line to install a program directly within the <commandline> statement? Referencing programs in an install folder on the install image?

Like to install 7-zip:

<CommandLine>[install folder path on disc]\7zip\7zip464.exe /S</CommandLine>