Image viewer for 98SE?

Peffse

Well, I may have confused some. It's not the program's icon I hate, it's the file type's icon I hate. They all turned into geckos.

I know how to easily change a desktop shortcut's icon... but changing a file type's icon? beyond me.

To change the icon for a type of file.

Start menu>settings>folder options.

Select "file types" tab.

Browse to the file extension you want to change. Select it. Click "Edit".

On the next screen, select "change icon".

Browse to the file that contains the icons you want to use. Choose icon.

Click "OK". "Close". "Apply".

The original icons for many of the image files are in Iexplore.exe.

I use Faststone Image Viewer too. Somethings goofy with my system where if my video cards been showing too many high quality or large pics in one session they start going scrambled then blank(restarting my PC fixes it) This program doesn't have that problem. I got a older system too and it usually has no trouble with Fastone. I can't compare to any others since I just downloaded one of the first viable programs I found when googling. But since it does the job, I don't need to bother.

It gives you thumbnails and allows easy progression of pictures in full size (it defaults to fit to screen, but you can fix that in settings)

I just wish I could have multiple versions of it up at once. If thats possible, I don't know how (but I haven't looked really hard either)

Edited by TruePurple

At the moment I have 27% free System/GDI resources. IF I start FS Image Viewer, my system will crash for lack of GDI resources - happened more than once. I started up Imagine and resources are now at 25%, so it only took 2%.

FastStone is indeed a pretty advanced viewer with nice editing options but it's way too resource-hungry, unfortunately. I'm currently using v3.6 beta and if I'm not mistaken, v3.5 (beta & final) were a little lighter on resources.

• 4 weeks later...

I use FastStone viewer. Another good thing is that it's a portable app, I can put it on a keychane drive and plug the drive into any computer runing any version of windows from 98SE to XP. I believe it also works on Vista, but I don't know as I will never install Vista OR Windows 7! This means That I have a image viewing and light editing program with which I'm familiar that I can use on anyone's computer!

The lossless JPG rotate is also very nice, as most times when you edit a jpg, you lose some of the quality every time you save it again. I'm a published photographer and look for things like that.

• 3 months later...

I have to comment here: I've just tried Chun Sejin's Imagine and it is spot-on what I was looking for.

Super-solid; fast; non-flaky UI; intuitive operation (on an image viewer—imagine that!)

Proof that modern apps—however small—are in development for 9x.

Thanks, Drugwash, for bringing it to my attention.

XnView here as well. It's free and multilingual and does more than a displayer (convert, resize, lossless rotate etc), it's much faster than most competitors, and it has a nice and quick browser that doesn't peddle additional files in every folder.

Its v1.82.4 even runs on W95a-95b.

http://download.Xnview.com/old_versions

As v1.93.6 was the latest one, it was said to run on W98-98se-Me.

http://download.xnview.com/XnView-win.zip

Edited by pointertovoid

IrfanView is the best for me. Still supports Windows 9x officially, reads many formats with plugins, provides simple picture editing. I experiencing some glitches with its toolbar appearance on Windows 98, but it is still my favorite. XnView is good too, supports much more formats, but as I know, it dropped Win98 support, have much bigger size and less convenient and intuitive interface. I have them both.