Please Help With Minor Errors Using HFSLIP 2.0

My2GirlsDad

I am very impressed with what can be accomplished with HFSLIP 2.0. Hats off to TommyP and Ricktendo64 for their amazing work. With that being said, I have encountered three minor problems while trying to create a slipstream with XP Home Edition. They are not critical but they are more annoying than anything else.

1. “wpdmtpdr.dll not found” error during “setup is copying files to disk” phase. The file is in the soucess folder. I “fixed” this problem by having HFSLIP add this file to DOSNET as currently it only adds it to TXTSETUP.SIF.

2. “setup cannot copy …. Wscenter.mof” error during the “Copying Files” phase of the GUI setup. I’m not sure what wscenter.mof is besides it being part of WBEM. The puzzling part is after the initial copying of files wscenter.mof is in the c:\$nt-win$.~LS folder but after reboot it is gone. Where did it go? It is noted in both DOSNET and TXTSET.SIF. My temporary fix was to use the file in the sourcess folder.

3. “setup cannot copy….. search.adm” error during the “Installing Start Menu Items” phase. I used Ricktendo64’s RVM integrator in HFAAO as this is part of Windows Search 4.0. Again where did this file go? Same as above, it was there before the reboot. It is also noted in DOSNET and TXTSETP.SIF. My temporary fix was to use the file in the sourcess folder.

I know these are minor errors but I was hopeful someone could shed some light on why this might be happening and how to fix them. Thanks in advance for all your help.

HFSLIP 2.0 was written entirely by tomcat76, who hasn't been here in quote some time. I can't say much about hfslip 2.0 other than I never saw a "final". If you are getting messages like that, it *could* be a bad cd burn, not enough space on your hard drive (hfslip requires a decent amount of hard drive space when run) or maybe even a bad sector on a hard drive. It would probably be the best bet to test out the iso image that hfslip generates on a virtual machine to isolate where the problem arises.

tommyp- Thank you for replying and for correcting my mistake. I was aware that tomcat76 was responsible for HFSLIP and was in error mentioning you. My hat's off to you for setting the record straight.

I have created and run the image multiple times directly from my know good hard drive through winnt.exe on a virtual machine. I have many gigs of free space. The outcome is always the same.

I guess I will have to continue to use my temporary fixes for now. It gets the job done....... with a couple of extra steps.

LOL you are welcome

I wish I was half as good at making cmd/bat files

I have been trying to show you HFSLIP guys how to correctly integrate the Windows Search hotfix (all you need to do is create a simple service) but nobody seems interested

Edited by ricktendo64

Tomcat76 wrote hfslip 2.0. I wrote hfslip 1.x but tomcat maintained hfslip 1.x for a while. Since life got in the way, tomcat had to put hfslip aside. In tomcat's absence, I think it's safe to say that it appears that hfslip 2.0 is stalled and/or abandoned and unsupported. May I suggest that you use hfslip 1.x instead? If so, then we can help you.

ricktendo64- Just to be clear the search 4.0 works correctly as long as I use the "search.adm" from the sourcess folder as it is not found in c:\$nt-win$.~LS folder. I used your integrator and it worked fantastically except for this small problem.

tommyp- I'll stick with 2.0. Even with these minor glitches I think it is better.

Thanks again guys.

From what I gather HFSLIP can integrate the hotfix for windows search fine, just that the search does not work. The only thing needed to do is create the service and that will solve the problem

You can use AddService in the INF or SC.EXE either will do