Seagate 7200.11 fail & fine dataset

I'd love to give details, but my company provides parts to Seagate. This came in my 4-core HP machine, which after 4 months is now toast. Thanks Seagate- I thought you could do better.

Number:Serial N°:Model:Part N°:Firmware:DateCode:(manufac. date):SiteCode:PurchaseDate:FailedDate:OEM/RETAIL:UserName:Country of User:fail reason/fine:OS:PSU

9QK0:ST3750630AS:9BX146-621:HP24:08476:(manufac. date):TK:10-15-2008:01-29-2008:OEM:RainCaster:USA:Busy:Doesnt_matter:HP

Seagate denies problems with HD's manufacured before November!

I just received this (date of the reply is 28.01., my email was sent 18.01.:

--- quote starts here ---

If you drive failed in September, then it was not in the series of drives that have the firmware issue. The series of drives that had the issue were manufactured in November and December. So your hard drive failure was completely separate issue.

Additionally, we are not offering free data recovery. Our data recovery service is applying the firmware for our customers who's drives do not appear in the BIOS. If the firmware cannot be successfully applied, then the data recovery service is offered at regular price.

You can, of course, use this same service, but it cannot be offered for free.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Regards,

---End of quote---

(will not quote name of that guy, obviously from the US)

My HD was manufactured 01. April and died around 5. August (not detected by SATA controller, after some boots taking quite long, as far as I can remember).

My SN is affected, confirmed with Seagate's checker again (which seems to be questionable as well, at least the database behind it).

What are they talking about? Do they really know? I think it is time to point them to the charts on the 1st page of this thread.

There is another post on page 9 (thanks Dadou), giving hope that i365 will do the job for free. I mentioned that in my email, quoting http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16246 ... However, I will try to fix the brick with the tips from Gradius2's thread myself.

cooper2009

Edit: typos+link.

Edited by cooper2009

First off that can't be correct. I purchased my drive at my local MicroCenter in October of 2008, so there is no way that statement is correct. My drive is at i386 as we speak. I would call up and talk to tech support. Its easier for them to deny you over email.

Number:Serial N°:Model:Part N°:Firmware:DateCode:(manufac. date):SiteCode:PurchaseDate:FailedDate:OEM/RETAIL:UserName:Country of User:fail reason/fine:OS:PSU

9QM6**** MODEL ST3500320AS P/N 98X154-335 FW SD15 MANUFA DATE 09085 SITE CODE KRATSG BOUGHT 12/27/08 FAILD 1/22/09 RETAIL USER jake36 USA REASON-Not found in BIOS OS-VISTA.

Sad part is, bought on 12/27/08, but I did not install until 1/12/09 and it lasted 10 days. Was so busy with work, I never heard or seen anything about this until after it failed.

Some of the symptoms I remember

1) Started taking longer to boot, a couple of days before fail.

2) Started taking longer to start programs, even though this was just a second drive used for storage not the OS.

3) Got some message about no disk in drive (I thought it was talking about the CD/DVD drive, as I was burning a DVD).

Getting ready to run out and buy 2 new WD drives, just remembered HP came with a Seagate ST3500630AS in it, so before it dies will change it out and clone it.

Just got of the phone with Seagate (their phones are back up), when I got the RMA number and all details, it put my drive down as a ST3500641AS, it states on the drive it is a ST3500320AS. The guy punched the SN in and it comes up as a ST3500641AS RK. So all the product numbers submmited so far may be wrong.

So going by that, mine is actually a 7200.9 drive and not a 7200.11 as marked on the hard drive. I wonder how many people are going to get burned with "YOU RETURNED THE WRONG DRIVE".

Edited by Jake36

I honestly think the problem is much much larger then seagate is letting people know. I have done a lot of reading and people have suggested that the problem is based on a specific value in the firmware which the probability of hitting is suppose to be super high but that just can't be the case. Drive failure a few months after purchase is unreal.

This wouldn't be the first time a corporation the size of seagate try's to cover up a massive failure problem in order to not nose dive its stock. But lets see how they continue to handle this problem.

I honestly think the problem is much much larger then seagate is letting people know. I have done a lot of reading and people have suggested that the problem is based on a specific value in the firmware which the probability of hitting is suppose to be super high but that just can't be the case. Drive failure a few months after purchase is unreal.

This wouldn't be the first time a corporation the size of seagate try's to cover up a massive failure problem in order to not nose dive its stock. But lets see how they continue to handle this problem.

I think the cover up is that they sold products as one thing ST3500320AS with 32MB buffer that turns out to be ST3500641AS with 16MB buffer. My label on the hard drive says ST3500320AS, but from Seagate support, the serial number from the same lable is for a ST3500641AS.

I am wondering if they tried to make 32MB buffer drives out of drives with only 16MB buffer (kind of like over-clocking it?) in the FW, sell them as an improved drive (bigger buffer), and now it has come back to bite them?

Edited by Jake36

To all recent contributors: thanks for sharing your 7200.11 experience with our humble dataset :thumbup

This side thread is mainly dedicated to collecting information and drawing attention to the BSY bug affecting seagate 7200.11 drives manufactured before January 2009.

Most current information and general rants can be found at the main thread (also located at the hardware hangout of MSFN forum):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...&start=1080

The issue has been reported online since October/November 2008 and seagate has indeed acknowledged it and released a firmware update to prevent your drive from being affected. However, this update can only be applied to drives which have not yet been affected. Presently seagate does offer a free data recovery service for drives disabled by this problem, but chances are that it will take them quite some time to process all requests.

Data recovery is also possible with various recovery kits (prices ranging from 500$ - several 1000$, for links see main thread), but for a low cost homemade solution see this thread (also located at the hardware hangout of MSFN forum):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...t=0&start=0

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have reported my case to Seagate Support, shipped my harddisk to Singapore last Saturday (paid by Seagate of course :thumbup ) and just get it back today. All data is intact and firmware updated to SD1A already.

Hi, VinciusFerrao. Do u mind elaborate more on ur procedure? I have a bricked ST3500320AS-SD15 and wonder if I can somehow flash its firmware and get the data back without going through the RS232-TTL process as I am unfamiliar with this kind of work. Thx in advance!
My drive is back simply with firmware update to SD1A! :)

Here's my details:

1:9QM1****:ST3500320AS:9BX154-303:SD15:08357:KRATSG:2008-xx-xx:2009-01-03:RETAIL:709394hk:HongKong:BSY(not detected by BIOS):XP Pro:XXX

Edited by 709394hk

Help, i'm a new seagate user affect by the Hdd from seagate.

can any1 help me with this problem? i have important data inside my hdd and now i can;t access my data now. when i attach the power and Sata cable, my system will run for a sec and it fail, system boot well without this hdd.

Below are the detail and i'm singapore.

5QM3****: ST3500320AS:9BX154-303: SD15: 09143:2008-09-30:WUXISG:2008-12-18:2008-02-17:OEM: DNA9179: SINGAPORE:UNABLE TO BOOT UP WITH THIS HDD :XP HOME: ACBEL510

Help and thanks alot