Seagate 7200.11 fail & fine dataset

Hi everybody, sorry, I've been busy the last days.

Hey donnerzusel, I have the solution. :ph34r:

Your drive is a ST31000340AS with SD15, and now it have a AD14, right?

Congrats, Gradius2! I found the update on the Seagate website, burned it at slowest speed possible, booted the PC and attached the drive after the POST.

The Firmware SD1A-Disc boots up, and if I let it try to detect the drive, the computer hangs and messages like "invalid opcode" appear on the screen,

so it seems that I'm not able to flash my drive with the new firmware.

When I try to flash, I unplug every drive (because the BIOS hangs after recognizing the faulty ST31000340AS - is this the BSY-error?) and restart the computer to re-plug the ST31000 just after the POST. Strange thing: The AD14-Update-Boot-CD (which was recommended by a Seagate employee) does recognize the drive and is able to flash it again with AD14, which is not what I want. So I'm waiting again on Seagate to fix the fixed firmware. ;-)

Thanks for reading.

Greets, donnerzusel

1:9QM2JG0B:ST3500320AS:9BX154-303:SD15:08385:2008-12-01:KRATSG:2008-05-12:2008-12-01:RETAIL: qdr: Kazakhstan: F/K: WinXPx86

2:9QM81RSX:ST3500320AS:9BX154-303:SD15:09155:2009-01-10:KRATSG:2008-12-05:2009-01-10:RETAIL: qdr: Kazakhstan: F/K: WinXPx86

Thanks for the new entries! Kazakhstan has been added to the 7200.11 "plague" map.

Edit: Issues reported from Kazakhstan appear to be not directly related to our main problem, therefore Kazakhstan is removed from the map.

Edited by DerSnoezie

Here's mine that croaked during bootup last night. Not only undetectable by bios, it prevented detection of my good 2nd drive until disconnected.

5QJ0YAG8:ST31000340AS:9BX158-303:SD15:09115:??:WUXISG:2008-11-20:2009-01-19:OEM:JRD393:USA:(no detect in bios):XP Pro:Corsair 650W

DerSnoezie do you think, adding info about MB chipset could be a good Idea? I mean, there a lot of discussions on the internet about Nvidia Nforce4 chipset drivers making HDD's corrupt their MFT + when you run Zero Assumption Recovery 8.3 it tells you, that Nvidia IDE drivers are know to make problems in case of an intensive usage. I myself have a Gigabyte GA-8NSLI, it uses Nforce 4.

Edited by qdr

Ok, so I tried contacting Seagate, but they are not answering their emails.

Then I tried the chat thingy where a guy tried to send me a firmware update for a drive which is not recognized in BIOS, and he then gave me a phone number to call a manager in the US which will be probably quite expensive for me since I am from the UK.

Nevermind that, the interesting thing was that he wasn't aware that Seagate is offering free data recovery which is strange.

Did somebody have a different experience with them?

yes that should be free. it is the one i called for hours and didnt get charged. in skype just call "+18007324283"

actually i just noticed the numbers are slightly different. are you sure the one you gave in your post is correct? because it is not recognised. looks like there is an extra 4 in there

Edited by PrOdiGy1

DerSnoezie do you think, adding info about MB chipset could be a good Idea? I mean, there a lot of discussions on the internet about Nvidia Nforce4 chipset drivers making HDD's corrupt their MFT + when you run Zero Assumption Recovery 8.3 it tells you, that Nvidia IDE drivers are know to make problems in case of an intensive usage. I myself have a Gigabyte GA-8NSLI, it uses Nforce 4.

Hi GDR, the dataset is dedicated to specific problems (stated in my first post) with 7200.11 drives. However, if you would like to start a new topic based on this list concerning the particular issue you mentioned above, feel free to do so. Maybe you could PM members who provided an entry and ask if they will also add information about their chipset.

Edited by DerSnoezie

I got my replacement disk following my RMA request sent in on january, 3rd. And guess:

ST3500320AS with Firmware SD15 :thumbdown

i'll connect it to see how it behaves...

Edited by mahk

Hi there,

Another one from Poland:

9QM6****:ST3500320AS:9BX154-303:SD15:09105:KRATSG:2008-11-07:N/A:OEM:winicjusz:Poland:fine:Vista x64 Business:BeQuiet 450W

Still fine, but I'm feeling like sitting on time-bomb... :) And for f. sake their FW SD1A from sunday/monday doesn't work at all with -303 Part N°. Greets for all holders of f. up HDD from Seagate. Let's keep it cool. :)

Edited by winicjusz

Few people reported CC1F as buggy too on Seagate forum.

Perhaps this is why they don't mention CC1F, only CC1G and up.

And I have 2x1TB fw CC1F (sigh!). :rolleyes:

Oh, and they are talking about 7200.13 already! :lol:

(7200.12 was reported buggy too)

Edited by Gradius2